Quantcast

Videos that don't suck

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
semenuk videos are like an ac/dc record. you know exactly what its gonna be before you even press play.
I get the contestants decide what they want to put in their videos, and I think that's why most people out there felt more related to Brage's video than to Brandon's one. Semenuk always has the perfect line, the perfect trick, and you can see from the tire marks on the previously pristine features he's tried them many times before. I'm not saying Brage didn't do the same, but he has a much more down to earth approach, and I also think the 90s vibe he put on with all those skinny features stroke the right nerve for a lot of us older guys.

Also, we all remember when Brandon abandoned Crankworx after missing the first trick on his first run. Seems like it's either perfect or nothing for him.

Again, I LOVE Brandon videos, but in this case, I think Brage should have taken the crown.

jonKranked

Press Button, Receive Stupid
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I get the contestants decide what they want to put in their videos, and I think that's why most people out there felt more related to Brage's video than to Brandon's one. Semenuk always has the perfect line, the perfect trick, and you can see from the tire marks on the previously pristine features he's tried them many times before. I'm not saying Brage didn't do the same, but he has a much more down to earth approach, and I also think the 90s vibe he put on with all those skinny features stroke the right nerve for a lot of us older guys.

Also, we all remember when Brandon abandoned Crankworx after missing the first trick on his first run. Seems like it's either perfect or nothing for him.

Again, I LOVE Brandon videos, but in this case, I think Brage should have taken the crown.
don't get me wrong, he's a sick rider, but the problem with semenuk videos is that they all follow the Semenuk Formula™:

• Tricks:
    • select and combination or variations of the following and only the following:
      • Spins
      • Flips
      • Tail Whip
      • Bar Spin
      • No Handers
  • Terrain:
    • all features must be perfectly manicured. no exceptions.
  • Soundtrack
    • Generic electronic music
  • Cinematography:
    • Slow motion: use gratuitously
    • Aerial Drones: mandatory
    • Style: art house
    • still frames: strongly recommended

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
don't get me wrong, he's a sick rider, but the problem with semenuk videos is that they all follow the Semenuk Formula™:

• Tricks:
    • select and combination or variations of the following and only the following:
      • Spins
      • Flips
      • Tail Whip
      • Bar Spin
      • No Handers
  • Terrain:
    • all features must be perfectly manicured. no exceptions.
  • Soundtrack
    • Generic electronic music
  • Cinematography:
    • Slow motion: use gratuitously
    • Aerial Drones: mandatory
    • Style: art house
    • still frames: strongly recommended
I absolutely agree on all of your points. That's why I said myself and most of the folks I've read online felt disappointed with the judges' ruling.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Can someone just develop a script to automatically generate a post for any future Jack Moir video?

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
The GOAT bridging the gap between MTB and BMX. Well worth a watch.

And to flog a dead horse on the Semenuk v. Brage thing..

1. Criticism for Semenuk's videos being formulaic is missing the point of the contest. The video should be judged for its qualities in of itself and not on how similar/different it is to a rider's previous videos. In other words, the premise of the contest is "What is the best video you can put out?" not, "What is the best video that you can put out that is completely different from everything you've ever released?"

2. I suspect that Brage's video is more relatable to the average rider than Semenuk's. To me, that's a testament to how crazy Semenuk's riding is. AFAIK, relatability wasn't part of the criteria. I think you could find a lot more people who could do exactly what Brage did but very very few who could pull the shit Brandon did.

3. Brage's log ride - I don't get the hype. BMX guys are doing tire rides down cylindrical metal handrails (e.g. Hobie Doan).

Last edited: