Quantcast

Videos (and pics) that don't suck

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
semenuk videos are like an ac/dc record. you know exactly what its gonna be before you even press play.
I get the contestants decide what they want to put in their videos, and I think that's why most people out there felt more related to Brage's video than to Brandon's one. Semenuk always has the perfect line, the perfect trick, and you can see from the tire marks on the previously pristine features he's tried them many times before. I'm not saying Brage didn't do the same, but he has a much more down to earth approach, and I also think the 90s vibe he put on with all those skinny features stroke the right nerve for a lot of us older guys.

Also, we all remember when Brandon abandoned Crankworx after missing the first trick on his first run. Seems like it's either perfect or nothing for him.

Again, I LOVE Brandon videos, but in this case, I think Brage should have taken the crown.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I get the contestants decide what they want to put in their videos, and I think that's why most people out there felt more related to Brage's video than to Brandon's one. Semenuk always has the perfect line, the perfect trick, and you can see from the tire marks on the previously pristine features he's tried them many times before. I'm not saying Brage didn't do the same, but he has a much more down to earth approach, and I also think the 90s vibe he put on with all those skinny features stroke the right nerve for a lot of us older guys.

Also, we all remember when Brandon abandoned Crankworx after missing the first trick on his first run. Seems like it's either perfect or nothing for him.

Again, I LOVE Brandon videos, but in this case, I think Brage should have taken the crown.
don't get me wrong, he's a sick rider, but the problem with semenuk videos is that they all follow the Semenuk Formula™:

• Tricks:
    • select and combination or variations of the following and only the following:
      • Spins
      • Flips
      • Tail Whip
      • Bar Spin
      • No Handers
  • Terrain:
    • all features must be perfectly manicured. no exceptions.
  • Soundtrack
    • Generic electronic music
  • Cinematography:
    • Slow motion: use gratuitously
    • Aerial Drones: mandatory
    • Style: art house
    • still frames: strongly recommended

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
don't get me wrong, he's a sick rider, but the problem with semenuk videos is that they all follow the Semenuk Formula™:

• Tricks:
    • select and combination or variations of the following and only the following:
      • Spins
      • Flips
      • Tail Whip
      • Bar Spin
      • No Handers
  • Terrain:
    • all features must be perfectly manicured. no exceptions.
  • Soundtrack
    • Generic electronic music
  • Cinematography:
    • Slow motion: use gratuitously
    • Aerial Drones: mandatory
    • Style: art house
    • still frames: strongly recommended
I absolutely agree on all of your points. That's why I said myself and most of the folks I've read online felt disappointed with the judges' ruling.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Can someone just develop a script to automatically generate a post for any future Jack Moir video?

shelteringsky

Monkey
May 21, 2010
The GOAT bridging the gap between MTB and BMX. Well worth a watch.

And to flog a dead horse on the Semenuk v. Brage thing..

1. Criticism for Semenuk's videos being formulaic is missing the point of the contest. The video should be judged for its qualities in of itself and not on how similar/different it is to a rider's previous videos. In other words, the premise of the contest is "What is the best video you can put out?" not, "What is the best video that you can put out that is completely different from everything you've ever released?"

2. I suspect that Brage's video is more relatable to the average rider than Semenuk's. To me, that's a testament to how crazy Semenuk's riding is. AFAIK, relatability wasn't part of the criteria. I think you could find a lot more people who could do exactly what Brage did but very very few who could pull the shit Brandon did.

3. Brage's log ride - I don't get the hype. BMX guys are doing tire rides down cylindrical metal handrails (e.g. Hobie Doan).

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
It’s open... just the backside trails are still closed for fire recovery.
Some people call the mt Lowe trail where you go through the tunnel Wilson for some reason?

A few friends and I surveyed the damage on the winter creek trail that starts in the observatory parking lot and ends up at Santa Anita. I think that was early November. It hadn't rained at all yet. I was expecting scorched earth but the west side of the canyon wasn't that bad, the east side was however scorched earth. I do think since the rains there is going to be tons of erosion. There were already some dry slides in a few spots. Shockingly 90% of the cabins were untouched. Hoagies campground was looking pristine (and I was very happy to see that) We didn't check out the Chantry loop behind the pack station that drops in behind hoagies but I think it had a pretty good chance of survival. The ranger station and pack station were just fine. I don't have high hopes for sturnevant or mt zion.

Attachments

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Yea, the fire damage around West Fork and Rincon-RedBox is insane. It looks like a nuke hit.

The volunteer traiil crews will be out working to fix spots as soon as FS lets us. Anything burned in Bobcat won’t be fixed this year I don’t think. There’s current covid restrictions on top of a waiting period for fire recovery. There may be more news on that after a FS meeting this week.

Some people call the mt Lowe trail where you go through the tunnel Wilson for some reason?

A few friends and I surveyed the damage on the winter creek trail that starts in the observatory parking lot and ends up at Santa Anita. I think that was early November. It hadn't rained at all yet. I was expecting scorched earth but the west side of the canyon wasn't that bad, the east side was however scorched earth. I do think since the rains there is going to be tons of erosion. There were already some dry slides in a few spots. Shockingly 90% of the cabins were untouched. Hoagies campground was looking pristine (and I was very happy to see that) We didn't check out the Chantry loop behind the pack station that drops in behind hoagies but I think it had a pretty good chance of survival. The ranger station and pack station were just fine. I don't have high hopes for sturnevant or mt zion.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
We have seen a reasonable pool of solid female DH riders over the years, but on the freeride scene not so much. It does seem to shifting a little with Casey being the 1st name that comes to mind in recent years. I was really impressed with Samantha's riding in this clip.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
That kid is so much fun to watch ride. So playful. He really captures the fun of mountain biking for me.
And that trail at the end. :eek: When it looks steep on camera, it must be ridiculous irl!

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That kid is so much fun to watch ride. So playful. He really captures the fun of mountain biking for me.
And that trail at the end. :eek: When it looks steep on camera, it must be ridiculous irl!
Jackson to race junior world cups? I hope he kills it.

There are some other videos of Remy and Steve V riding that last trail. Proper steep sketch....

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Can someone just develop a script to automatically generate a post for any future Jack Moir video?

Many years ago I was riding that track on my hardtail trying to keep with a much faster Monkey on a DH bike, I was lucky he pulled up at the drop at 3:28 coz I would have hit it at a speed far beyond my skill level, hahaha!
My brain just switched off and I was chasing a back wheel.