Quantcast

Vietnam?

DroppinaNorco

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sac Town
Ok so i read this in one of the posts in the DH forum and i was just wonderin. I hear all this stuff about this place called vietnam (not the country) that is like heaven for riding. and i never had any idea where it was. but then i read that its at n* or somethin? can someone clarify so i dont feel like the idiot that i am please...

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
I've heard a section at the base of Karpiel called vietnam, cause a war vet said it was soo bumpy that holding onto the bars felt like holding on to a 50 cal machine gun. Kinda weird if you ask me...but I can't wait til Northstar :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :drool: :drool: :( :( :blah: :blah: :eek: :eek: :eek: :think: :dead:

lonewolfe

Monkey
Nov 14, 2002
Bay Area
I'm not sure about Northstar but there is a good riding spot outside of Boston, Ma that is called Viet Nam. The land was going to be developed and when the property went up for sale the area riders managed to raise enough money to purchase the land.

captainpolution

Turbo Monkey
Nov 18, 2004
yea it was named for the 50 cal ness feel. and if you didnt know, its right under the lift goin to the top, right before the drop/shore

DroppinaNorco

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
Sac Town
ok well thats good to know. yea the place i was thinkin of was the place near boston i think. i read about it in some magazine i guess. thanks

calskierx

Chimp
Mar 13, 2005
Thats std^^ vietnam is next to it skier's right, its below that stack of rocks on the northstar website, I only tryed it once (when i was inexperianced) and died.Il hit it this year for sure, and prob die again. Its just steep and rocky as hell.

Yeti DHer

I post here but I'm still better than you
Sep 7, 2001
The Foothills
so you hit the slabs and continue down right next to the lift. Vietnam is after you take the right instead of going straight/left down. Yes, it's on dogbone...

I can't remember where I took this photo, but I think it's vietnam or just right below it...

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
yojimborace said:
I've heard a section at the base of Karpiel called vietnam, cause a war vet said it was soo bumpy that holding onto the bars felt like holding on to a 50 cal machine gun. Kinda weird if you ask me...but I can't wait til Northstar :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :drool: :drool: :( :( :blah: :blah: :eek: :eek: :eek: :think: :dead:
Ok the real story is close but no cigar. I was riding without my armor one day and bailed on what at the time was second waterfall(no real name). Well I came in lost it, thought I had it, but should have just bailed off at the top. But waited until I had A LOT of speed before hitting the eject button. Landed on my back and F'ed it all up. Got to Vista Chair pulled up my shirt and asked some older guy "hey is this bad"? He said "ouch that looks like an old Nam injury I have". And that was that.

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
I walk vietnam.

And I'm not afraid to admit it. The picture does it no justice. It's super steep ( or at least it seemed so last season ). I remember riding five feet of it and telling myself "it's not wourth it".

So really, I don't walk it. I just avoid it.

santacruzer87

Monkey
Apr 21, 2005
On my bicycle
heh that reminds of this one time I saw this guy break his wrist on it. It was in one of the races there, anyway the fall climaxed with his head sandwiched between a rock and his lower body/bike. He jumped right back on, but then fell again after doing that drop after you cross the dirt road.

-Ryan

J_B

Monkey
Sep 20, 2004
In My '09 WRX STI
I rode Vietnam two days after cutting the cast off my left wrist. I only had the cast on for a week, cut it off and rode. I ended up falling pretty bad on that same wrist on Vietnam. Didn't feel too good. :( I am not afraid to say I don't ride that trail anymore. If I do, I take it really sloooooow. Oh man, I'm gunna have nightmares tonight. That is if my my new baby boy doesn't keep me up all night.