Quantcast

Viking metal in Hafjell - the 2014 World champs

Beef Supreme

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2010
Hiding from the stupid
Apr 9, 2004
Mount Carmel,PA
Looks to be dry and super fast. With the WC season over, This is going to be one flat out, nothing to hold back for , dangerous, and exciting race.
Is 6:00 am too early for hot wings, burgers and beer? worlds champs party in the yaed at 6:00 may piss of the neighbors..... again.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
Looks to be dry and super fast. With the WC season over, This is going to be one flat out, nothing to hold back for , dangerous, and exciting race.
Is 6:00 am too early for hot wings, burgers and beer? worlds champs party in the yaed at 6:00 may piss of the neighbors..... again.

ill be doing the same thing... hootin and hollerin!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Wow, according to the Hafjell website, the Jrs are going off at 12:30 Viking time, which if I'm not mistaken is 6:30 FAT (Fvcking America Time), but the veteran beserkers don't start murdering English monks until 3:00 Viking time (9:00 FAT) - which means that's the full monty rather than the abbreviated version we normally see with no Jrs coverage, limited ladies, and only the top 30 or so bros. I presume that's because there's not nearly as many racers, so they can televise the whole thing (and now that I think about it, I do recall seeing the "National Champs" from all sorts of countries last year at PMB). Regardless, :headbang:

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Damn now I'm excited. See you bastards at my place at 630 FAT....this'll be the earliest I've been sh!thoused since, well Meribel.

time-bomb

Monkey
May 2, 2008
right here -> .
very true. when was the last time the World Champs was the last race of the year? it's always been near the end of the season but it seems there is usually one more World Cup afterwards. for a race like this, it should always be the season closer imo.

TrumbullHucker

trumbullruxer
Aug 29, 2005
shimzbury, ct
is the redbull app good? like is it dependable? because i might be in route to mountain creek, and theres no way im missing this race lulz

edit: i already have the app but never tried the actual streams

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
is the redbull app good? like is it dependable? because i might be in route to mountain creek, and theres no way im missing this race lulz

I watched Worlds last year on the app during a business meeting and it worked perfectly.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ

never had any issues with it. can't wait until live chromecasting is available.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
Redbull app put the live race in my calendar at 6:05 am eastern time...
it's also scheduled for 4 hours so there should be plenty of buffer before the elite men, for those who only care about grown men.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
The first time I heard of Sam Hill, was way back in 03, he have beaten the godfather of freeride canadian Wade Simmons in a freeride contest sponsored by redbull in aus.

Sam hill was on intense M1 with manitou Dorado doing ladder bridges and teeter toter and wall rides. (Check you tube).
That's my 1st memory of him also! That m1 with a 5th element was a highly desirable bike!

Also, did you remember Shaums March going for that mega huck/drop and snapping the bike in half at the headtube? That was epic!

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Do any of you So-Cal guys recall the Mad Catz team training/riding Anderson Truck trail in the early 2000's? I'm not sure if Hill lived out there at the time, but when I was there I remember a few of those guys showing up there, I just can't for the life of me remember what they were riding.

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Do any of you So-Cal guys recall the Mad Catz team training/riding Anderson Truck trail in the early 2000's? I'm not sure if Hill lived out there at the time, but when I was there I remember a few of those guys showing up there, I just can't for the life of me remember what they were riding.
it's funny you mentioned that, i just pulled out Earthed 2 yesterday after thinking about the time we rebuilt Telonics and MadCatz showed up and filmed their segment, mostly because of the Sven Martin and Neethling on Honda Turner team connection. I think sam was living in Elsinore at the time, hence the Sam Hill trail out there and Mad Catz was Hill, Atkinson and Canadian kid Mathieu Laurin, they were on first generation Iron Horse Sundays. A couple of us had started rebuilding telonics in around 2002 after years of disuse, watching those guys rail the new berms and rock gardens was awesome. Don't remember the ATT segment though.

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
So it is tomorrow? I thought I read in the link to junior results that they were racing Sunday(?) Redbull ap states finals are Sunday.

Never mind, I was confusing the conversation about seeding runs with the finals. Finals are definitely Sun.

Last edited:

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Anyone else disappointed in the lack of practice videos? There's been what, three days of practice, and now timed training? Thank God for that vital raw video... It's rad!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
Is the start order based on who won last year? Or training? How does that work? Didn't expect to see Greg at the top of that practice time sheet- it really does seem like anyone's race!

Out if the guys who are on top of their game at the moment, who's strengths align with this track the most?

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
course preview video seemed like a giant diss on Brendan F, no?
I kinda felt that way, but its tough to know their dynamics. It sounded like Brendan was riding it blind, and who knows how much time Claudio had on it. It could be an accepted fact that Brendan can waste Claudio in a more "even" situation, making Claudio's comments funny, not disses.

...But Claudio is pretty freakin fast! Who knows. Hahahahah

Pegboy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2003
New Hamp-sha
Timed training isn't used for anything. They go off UCI points. Most of the contenders are there though and top 10 within 3 sec is fairly tight. Interesting to see Neko in there.

I thought Claudio's preview was kinda funny. Fairclough kept looking back like he expected to have dropped Claudio..nope. Maybe he thinks he's going faster than he is .. or he thought Claudio was slower than he is.

Tomorrow will be great!

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Or the two of them were having a good time ribbing each other and wanted to make the video together so Brenden was purposely going a little slower and turning around to make sure Claudio was still there. Could be crazy on that one

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
I agree they were clearly having fun, but after reading Brendan's tweets about being devastated about not making Worlds, etc, I thought Claudio made a few too many jokes about being slow and not having a job next season. 1 or 2 maybe but I think he made about 6 comments?

Still a great preview video, up there with the previous one where the chase rider ate sh!t and Claudio was like "where is that guy" at the bottom.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
you know there's not enough coverage coming out when you guys are overanalyzing claudio's course preview.....jesus christ, it was clearly a piss take and they were both just having fun.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Sh1t don't lump me in on that, I'm the one who just said they were just having a good time and to relax!

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I imagine Brendan will be having a fairly shit time of things irregardless of what anyone else is saying. Given the option I'd rather have my team manager still clearly friends with me and not pussy footing around the elephant in the room. Fairclough has been 'off the boil' for a few seasons now, Bryce just pulled out an outrageous season after a few years of doubt whether he'd ever properly hit the top of the podium. I'm sure seeing Bryce up there and being dropped from worlds is going to put a fire under Brendan for next year.

Tdiddy

Monkey
Apr 8, 2009
I'm sure seeing Bryce up there and being dropped from worlds is going to put a fire under Brendan for next year.
Didn't seem to work after being left off the 2012 and 2013 world champs teams, so not sure why the third year in a row would be any different.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Alarm clock is set for 6am FAT Mountain.

The speeds in the Claudio/Brendog preview video were not reasonable, which means full race pace is going to be awesome to watch.

And, the fact that Brendog can't make the Brit World's Team just shows how deep their DH talent goes.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Didn't seem to work after being left off the 2012 and 2013 world champs teams, so not sure why the third year in a row would be any different.
You're right, unfortunately growing up reading MBUK and DIRT has conditioned me to believe that Brendog is going to grow up to be the fastest, most stylish rider on the planet. The fact that he 'grew up' about 5 years ago does little to change that for me.