Quantcast

Vintage Road Bikes?

cjstewart88

Chimp
Sep 20, 2007
Do any of you guys ride one? I was thinking of searching around for one in town and getting it tuned up. Ive seen and heard of people buying vintage bikes for really low prices like 50$ and was wondering if they are good rides once tuned up a little. Let me hear some stories and see some pics.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
"vintage" and $50 typically would mean 27" wheels, freewheel, rust, and steel rims. you'd be better off buying a vintage bike, converting it to fixie, and selling it on eBay.

cjstewart88

Chimp
Sep 20, 2007
i think there are plenty of older bikes out there in fine condition for cheap prices. lots of people buy bikes and just leave them in the garage for years and years.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
If you shop around at garage sales, and maybe craigslist, you could find a vintage bike. I think you'll find the performance to be crappy and disappointing. The bike won't shift as nice and, chances are, be heavier than todays stuff. I've been wanting to find an old vintage frame and make it a fixie as my town/commuter bike. Let us know if you find one

cjstewart88

Chimp
Sep 20, 2007
If you shop around at garage sales, and maybe craigslist, you could find a vintage bike. I think you'll find the performance to be crappy and disappointing. The bike won't shift as nice and, chances are, be heavier than todays stuff. I've been wanting to find an old vintage frame and make it a fixie as my town/commuter bike. Let us know if you find one
ya I was planning on hitting the local flea market or some garage sales and seeing what I could find. I know the performance when I get the bike might be crappy but I was thnking with a nice tune up form the shop or even if I have to get a few new components I could make it ride smooth. Im not really worried about weight. Ill post if i find something

How old is 'Vintage'?

I have a 1987 Serrotta with campy, when I go to ebay for replacement parts there usually described as 'vintage', but I really don't consider my bike 'vintage'

I would also like to get an an old 1920's track bike for a home decoration. Now that is 'Vintage'......but i doubt you'd want to ride it around town.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
One problem with older bikes is the rear drop-out spacing.

If you don't know what that means, do yourself a favor and buy an inexpensive, but still great road bike at a respected LBS for ~$500... assuming this is supposed to be a roadie, as opposed to a 5 mile commuter.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
are you wanting a "vintage" road bike to start a collection or you looking for a cheap beater to ride around town or to/from work? if your starting the collection then you should do some homework on what brand you want to start with. so if you want to start collecting Schwinns, then do some research on what was made in the US before they went to overseas production. if it's the beater, then any yard sale will do. you can take it for a quick spin and as long as it works well, not too much rust then go for it. no sense spending cheap money on the yard sale find just to go out and dump more money on it to update it with newer parts. like Opie said, older frames have narower rear ends. newer models are 130mm older are at 127mm and lower.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
I picked up a Miyata 310 that I guess one could consider "vintage." It's from the mid 80's. Came with 27" wheels and 6spd shimano. At first I converted it to SS then back to gears (105 7spd). I picked up the bike for $80. Bought the group for $150. Built my own wheels. It rides nice. I've been itching for a newer ride though...Here 'tis:

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
i use to ride a old ciocc and it just didn't feel right .i really wasn't diggin it so she went out to the pasture.