Quantcast

vintage XTR value ?

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
i have an early 90's trek 8900....the purple carbon tubed/ aluminum lugged one. it has full 960 (i think) xtr on it...all the way down to the hubs. i know this stuff gets a premium on ebay, but how much would you guestimate a full group would get. the only signs of wear are on the crankarms where the xtr logo is rubbed off.

also, any ideas on the full bike? it has had a 00 sid xc put on it.

thanks for the help...im trying to decide whether or not to part it out.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
How much do you want for it?

I'm not sure of the value on that thing. Mostly it's going to be of interest for people who are building up an old frame or need a spare part as something broke.

I say screw parting it out, I would be interested in the whole set.

The Ito

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
make me some offers i can't refuse! keep in mind there was a nib xtr rear der. from the same generation selling for almost 200 on ebay just a few days ago. :)

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
In my experience, and that of many others, you can make much more money parting out a complete bike than selling it complete. However, it's a lot more work.

I would like to buy the XTR cantilever brakes. They go on ebay anywhere from 40-75$ for a set depending on condition and time of year (right before cyclocross starts they sell for the most).

downhil

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
no worries.:)

now if someone would just buy it! then they can part it out for mucho dinero......

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
downhil said:
keep in mind there was a nib xtr rear der. from the same generation selling for almost 200 on ebay just a few days ago. :)
Any idea why the old XTR stuff gets top $? With Shimano's trend of technology trickling down to the lower groups over time, wouldn't the features that made XTR great in '92 be available in their lowest groups today? Is it simply the bling-factor of having vintage XTR?

:confused: