Quantcast

Virginia beginner

joeyhow

Chimp
Jun 6, 2006
Richmond, VA
I'm getting ready to dump about $1,500 on a bike when I heel up. I need to know what to look for so I don't waste my money. I will be riding trails and maybe heading up to local ski resorts for some downhill. I'm about 185 pounds 5'10" and have limited mountain bike experience but about 5 years riding street and park on my 20".

thanks, Joey

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
Well since no one else has posted I'll try my best :)

If you're going new, there's lots of choices at $1500 for a bike. If going the used route, there's TONS of great FR/DH (freeride/downhill) bikes out there. So that's a decent starting range.

If you want to ride the DH style of things more travel will be your friend. Looking for something that has 7-9" in the rear and atleast 7" up front would be a good deal. Most will have dual crown foks, which limit your steering for tight trail riding but are fine for DH. Most DH only bikes are 9 speeds (or 8 depending on the build), have a chainguide so you can only run 1 front chainring, have tires that grip like no other, but are very hard to just pedal around to the store, hydro disc brakes, and feel funny for everything other than riding down a hill. You'll probably want more of a cross-over bike.

Now for some trail and ski resort stuff when you feel like it something like a 6" front and rear travel bike would be killer. You can get these bikes with 3 chainrings up front OR 2 rings and a bash guard for the largest ring, they have hydro brakes as well, tires and rims are a little more light weight so you can pedal the damm thing. So that's the 2 real differences between a full out DH and a trail bike.

It depends on what you see around. You can probably find a used Iron Horse 7point series bike for your price range if looking for something that's 6" all around. Kona has a few bikes that are like that as well. Specialized does which would be my first choice but they are probably going to be out of your price range. Used you're choices are only as good as you find. Lots sell their complete bikes here or check your local craigslist/bike shops and see what they have.

Hope that helps a little :)

joeyhow

Chimp
Jun 6, 2006
Richmond, VA
Thanks, I appreciate the info, there is a Specialized Stumpjumper for about $1,800 I may go ahead and get. It has mechanical disc brakes though, but I can upgrade them on my own if I decide to do some downhill.

R

richcreek

if i were you i would go to a local specialized dealer and see what kind of a price they could get you on an enduro. they are more suited to the type of riding you are going to be doing. your bike shop can probally get you a enduro down around the $1700-$1900 range and i think that you would like them they are a high quilty bike.

habitatxskate

blah blah blah
Mar 22, 2005
if you want to ride trails and downhill maybe a rear air shock would be best, because its so tough riding an 8" travel rear on a flat or uphill area..