Quantcast

"Virtual" Fence Approved For U.S. Border

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Because we have established "real" fences are teh suck.

Link.

The 28-mile virtual fence includes 98-foot unmanned surveillance towers that are equipped with an array of sophisticated technology including radar, sensor devices and cameras capable of distinguishing people from cattle at a distance of about 10 miles. The cameras are powerful enough to tell group sizes and whether people are carrying backpacks that may contain weapons and or drugs.
I hope it sounds like the bell when I walk into 7-11, that would be awesome.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
let me guess: these state-of-the-art towers & the necessary infrastructure costs millions, yet can easily be thwarted by a pickup, recovery hook, & 40 ft of chain.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Yeah, I'm all for technological solutions, but this sounds like another crappy government contract which will suck TONS of money in maintenance without ever being that effective.

Buried ground sensors and UAV patrols make more sense to me than complicated, high-vis electronic infrastructure that requires fixing and is easily vandalized or bypassed...but that's just me military mind thinking...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Buried ground sensors and UAV patrols make more sense to me than complicated, high-vis electronic infrastructure that requires fixing and is easily vandalized or bypassed...but that's just me military mind thinking...
agreed...although couldn't we make some of the "buried ground sensors" a codeword for "land mines"? ;) i mean, talk about giving the minutemen a hard-on.