Quantcast

Virus/worm on Ridemonkey?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Maintain your computers.
when i don't know what's going on and I get confused I find it helpful to blame spyware, viruses, the Masons and the Zionists.

it's so much easier than actually learning how things work. :)
AustinBike, World Wide Business Development Manager with AMD, talks about their newly unveiled Quad-Core AMD Opteron processor -the industry's first native x86 four-core processor. It sets AMD apart as the innovation leader in the x86 server microprocessor market.
There's a chance that none of us know a thing about computers.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
when i don't know what's going on and I get confused I find it helpful to blame spyware, viruses, the Masons and the Zionists.

it's so much easier than actually learning how things work. :)
Some of us aren't noobs. I have building websites since 1995 and built one of the largest ecommerce sites on the web.

Something is definitely wrong with their ad service.

Some of us aren't noobs. I have building websites since 1995 and built one of the largest ecommerce sites on the web.

Something is definitely wrong with their ad service.
We have had problems with content management systems that like to serve big jscript libraries that they never bother to use - might be worth checking on that. In our case, they were sending multiple 250 Kbyte libraries.

Edit:
Testing while logged out, Firebug reveals that ads.doubleclick uses a single 228 Kbyte library. I'm not seeing any Flash components.

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Im using Safari, and before I signed in, I had some crazy loading issues as well where the ads go.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Will those of you using IE7 please go into Tools/Internet Options, click the Privacy tab and tell me what it's set to?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If it's not really inconvenient, will you clear your entire internet cache, load JUST a thread (i.e. clear the cache and paste the address of a thread in), then check the size of your cache? EDIT: load this thread (the address "http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208271" so I can get some consistency)

I'm doing some experimentation to try to pinpoint this. What would you say the frequency is?

Last edited:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
After thorough testing, doing 10 page loads each with a clean cache and checking cache sizes across three browsers (IE6, IE7, FF3), and two privacy settings on IE (medium which is default, and totally off which is accept-everything mode) I have come to a conclusion:

You're all a bunch of whiny f**kwits.

:D

Seriously, though, the cache sizes of loading the first page of this thread and all the associated ads/libraries as well as the page contents itself, it ranges from 364kb with medium privacy settings to 433kb if I turn off my privacy settings. I can elicit no pauses, no weird behavior, no large libraries, no excessive cookies. That's across over 50 page reloads so it should be getting most of the randomly generated ads/ad networks.

If someone wants to do some testing with me who is having this problem regularly, please PM me.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I could have told you that without the testing....the whiny fvckwhits part.

Last edited:

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Cool...check out what just happened to me (again - but I noted it this time):

I clicked on the last page of the "McCain picks a Chick" thread. IE7 immediately freezes but I can see the first post on the page. It continues to load and then stop, load and then stop. Then an AVG window pops up that says "Threat Detected!". I don't have a prtscr button or I would've got a screen shot. All the while IE7 is still frozen. I click the "Heal" button for AVG, leave it for approximately 20 minutes, come back and now the tab where RM was is now some sort of search engine called "Shopica" and it auto-searched for "visa student credit card."

I realize this could be some spyware on my comp but I run AVG once a day so I should be clean.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Adware for sure.

I did some testing last week with my malware software turned off to make sure I let in anything nasty that the ad networks were sending out and got nothing.

99% positive that's from outside RM and it's simply hijacking your browser. It could be that it looks for normal ad cookies and triggers off of them, which is why RM is causing problems. Heal yo' sh*t. :D