Quantcast

Visiting Alaska

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I just came back and if you have any complaints about overcrowding, traffic, tv, or anything other problem of living in the lower 48 states, go to Alaska. You will be on your own, literally.

firetoole

duch bag
Nov 19, 2004
Wooo Tulips!!!!
sanjuro said:
I just came back and if you have any complaints about overcrowding, traffic, tv, or anything other problem of living in the lower 48 states, go to Alaska. You will be on your own, literally.
what part did you visit?
did you do any riding?
I have a uncle in Fairbanks went there last summer and a good time was had lots of road riding was done but I was surprised to find out they didnt know what freeriding was :confused: (in Fairbanks)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
If you don't have any pictures, please delete this thread :p

I'd love to visit Alaska sometime. Why'd you go - vacation? Family?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I was in Fairbanks, but this was not exactly your cruise line or mountain climbing trip. My friend's band Small Axe (www.smallaxerock.com) was touring Alaska, and I joined them for the Fairbanks leg.

They played places like the Marlin and the Blue Loon, and I saw the inside of a couple of roadhouses as well, particularily the Howling Dog. We stayed in a small cabin without running water, and even the most simple household tasks were chores.

The people there were independent and cool, and they all had stories about bear attacks and 30 below winters. Even the waifish Indie Girl told me a story about living in a cabin with her family in a remote section.

I knew I would not get a chance to see the wilderness of Alaska, but I am going back next summer, just me, my bike, and a bob trailer.

Tru

Chimp
Dec 13, 2002
Phoenix, AZ
If you're going to go back and visit again, you have to go south to the Kenai Peninsula and visit Soldotna. I was born and raised there, and just recently relocated to Scottsdale. Best salmon fishing in the world, bar none. Go in July, you'll get the tail end of the king run, and the strongest part of the sockeye run. Or if you want to catch a fish with the most fight, go in August and fish for cohos on the Kenai. Just pack a lot of mosquito repellent. I don't care where you live, you ain't seen skeeters til you go deep into the woods of Alaska.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
;) I mean ... how do we know you even went with out pics???

btw I went to amsterdam last weekend.. i just flew in for a few days.. smoked some good stuff... had a 4 some with 3 of the hottest women that you could imagine

and I forgot to pack my camera