Quantcast

visiting family = vacation ?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
We're going to Florida in a few weeks to visit my family. My girl's looking at it like a vacation and I'm like, "nope, it's almost as much work as work". Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but it's not a vacation.

Am I the only one who thinks like that?

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
AAAAAIIIIAIAIAIAIAIIAHAHAHAHAHAHAGAHAGAAHGAHAGAHGAHAGAHAGHAGAAIAGAHIAHAIHIAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

TN and I took a "vacation" to visit the inlaws and it may have been one of the worst experiences of my life (and I have had a colonoscopy).

They lived in southern FL at the time and I thought it would be a great trip. Was I wrong. Anyway, the only real fun we had was our get away to key west that lasted 3 days. Never again will i spend a week straight with tn and his parents. i could spend a week alone with his parents but never with the whole family. ever. period.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Nope - vacation with others is rarely a real vacation... especially when those others are family.

Vacation is about not having to think about anything except what you're doing for the next 2 hours. When there's family involved it gets to complicated.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
loco said:
You should all live 1/2 mile from your in-laws. :help:
My sister's house has: her, her husband, their two kids, two dogs, a hamster, turtle, lizard, I think some other pets, -and- our mom! Literally next door is my sister's in-laws.

Granted, the only way they knew their new home was available for sale was cuz of her in-laws. They bought a 6-bedroom, 4-bath, 2.5 car garage, large screened patio with swimming pool, and a large chunk of land for 80% of market value, so that's cool.

jacksonpt said:
Nope - vacation with others is rarely a real vacation... especially when those others are family.

Vacation is about not having to think about anything except what you're doing for the next 2 hours. When there's family involved it gets to complicated.
exactly.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
My entire family went to Hawaii this week, which I was able to bail out of.

While people think I am nuts for scoffing at Hawaii, it is pouring rain, so I could have stayed at home for that kind of weather.

On a different note, there is a big family reunion in Park City this year. I am going to have breakfast and dinner with the family, then it is off to Deer Valley...

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
A vaction on see my family in NM is exactly that... a VACATION!

I don't have to do anything but ride bikes, eat, sleep, sight see, and drink.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Time off from work is not a vacation if I have to go someplace or visit with people for an extended period of time.

My ideal vacation is basically veging out for a week at home, and rididng whenever and wherever.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
loco said:
You should all live 1/2 mile from your in-laws. :help:
I moved to Oregon to get away from my folks. My real mother-in-law has long passed and my father-in-law is in the jungle somewhere in Guatemala growing papya or something. My adopted mother-in-law (whom I love and adore) lives in Costa Rica and I can't wait to visit. I know I will have to do NOTHING while I'm there. :D

J

JRB

peter6061 said:
It's nice for babysitting, but on the other hand, my mom in law has a different idea of how Caroline should be raised. I am gonna blow a gasket with her. :mumble:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
my trips to FLA to go visit my wife's parents are like a vacation...i get to go golfing, running, to the beach, etc, and we get some babysitting out of it too. plus free room and board. what's not to like?

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
The only thing worse than living in Missouri is vacationing in Missouri. I'm eternally grateful that our plans to move back have been put on hold, but that means that we still have to go back for "vacation". We're doing that at the end of May. I can't wait.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
pixelninja said:
The only thing worse than living in Missouri is vacationing in Missouri. I'm eternally grateful that our plans to move back have been put on hold, but that means that we still have to go back for "vacation". We're doing that at the end of May. I can't wait.
As a former Missourian I hear that. Since we've moved down to AR every bit of vacation time I have from work (2 weeks a year) is spent either visiting my wifes family in MO or my family in MO / OR.

Now the trips to OR are really nice, my brother lives in Bend, but dealing with his wifes family is a pain in the butt.

When we visit my mom in TN it's nice because she freely watches Noah while my wife and I go act like we're dating again. But like at Christmas when the whole family gets together and their spouses and stuff after about 2 days of tiptoeing around the right people and waiting for whoever to get out of the bath room...........you get the picture.

When we visit my wifes family (since there's like a hundred grand kids......as opposed to my family where Noah is the only grandkid) it's a total pain in the butt. It's like being at home but at someone elses house which sucks because you can't really do what you want, Noah can't play with the stuff he usually plays with and gets bored.........the whole schedule revolves around the next meal and if the visit involves going to Branson it's an adventure in wandering from one buffet to the next...........:mumble:

So we've not had a real vacation since 1999. Next year when I get my third week of vacation at work we plan on among other things, going to the ALMS race at road Atlanta, and spending a week either in NorCal or the Seattle area for our 10 year wedding anniversary.

So yeah..........visiting family is rarely restful and never a vacation.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
N8 said:
A vaction on see my family in NM is exactly that... a VACATION!

I don't have to do anything but ride bikes, eat, sleep, sight see, and drink.
Is that really a vacation to see your family though... or are you vacationing to ride bikes, eat, sleep, sight see, and drink while using your family for a free place to crash?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LordOpie said:
We're going to Florida in a few weeks to visit my family. My girl's looking at it like a vacation and I'm like, "nope, it's almost as much work as work". Don't get me wrong, I love my family, but it's not a vacation.

Am I the only one who thinks like that?
Do you have kids? With kids, there's no such thing as a vacation... it's just parenting in a different location.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Andyman_1970 said:
Preach it brotha..................:thumb:
it's all in how you approach it; if that's true, then you will be vacationless for the next ~15 years. obviously, you have more leeway w/ activities as the kids get older.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Andyman_1970 said:
the whole schedule revolves around the next meal and if the visit involves going to Branson it's an adventure in wandering from one buffet to the next...........:mumble:
One should never ever even remotely think of even coming within a 50 mile radius of Branson. It is hell on earth. :dead:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
narlus said:
let's wait for his take on this.
Jenn told me about this thread and said I needed to post something nice about her parents.

So here I am, posting something nice about her parents.

;)

In all seriousness, I really do like hanging out with pretty much her entire family. She has a cousin that's obnoxious and has an obnoxious husband, but everyone else is really cool and likes to have a good time. I anticipate a lot of beer consumption with her father and have a date to get plastered on rum swizzles with her mom :D. It should be awesome - they're both fun people to hang out with.

I guess I'm lucky. I see no reason why this vacation with her family shouldn't be a blast. Plus, the last vacation I went on with my dad and stepmom was a great time - we went hang gliding, rented some jet skiis, drank a lot of Mimosas and spent a lot of time on the beach. I like vacations with my family.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Me and MBC are going on a ski vacation next February with MBC's dad, stepmom, and two cousins. Yup....a family ski vacation. The jury is still out on how much fun the in-laws will be. I've never spent more than a few hours with them.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
binary visions said:
Jenn told me about this thread and said I needed to post something nice about her parents.

So here I am, posting something nice about her parents.

;)

In all seriousness, I really do like hanging out with pretty much her entire family. She has a cousin that's obnoxious and has an obnoxious husband, but everyone else is really cool and likes to have a good time. I anticipate a lot of beer consumption with her father and have a date to get plastered on rum swizzles with her mom :D. It should be awesome - they're both fun people to hang out with.

I guess I'm lucky. I see no reason why this vacation with her family shouldn't be a blast. Plus, the last vacation I went on with my dad and stepmom was a great time - we went hang gliding, rented some jet skiis, drank a lot of Mimosas and spent a lot of time on the beach. I like vacations with my family.
Help is coming buddy!