Quantcast

Visiting Norcal in January?

Ted Striker

Chimp
Dec 9, 2010
UK
Thanks to the dead job market over here in the UK I've decided to take January off and get out of this country for a few weeks... Last winter I headed out to NZ for a few months, but I fancy doing something different. I drove up the western seaboard last spring and it's got me itching to head back out that way. I only got to drive through places like Big Sur, Tahoe, I didn't even get to Santa Cruz and I'd guess somewhere further inland like Moab would be snowed under in January.

The thing is I'd be travelling on my own, so I'd need to find somewhere where there's always going to be folk riding and hanging out. As it's only a month I'm not going to have the time to settle in and find people to ride with, I need to find somewhere I can show up and get into it. It'd be the same for accommodation - somewhere it's easy to rent a room for a few weeks.

In the past I've always ridden DH, but I'm more into AM-type stuff right now, although I prefer the type with short uphills and ugly descents.

Is there anywhere in Norcal (or Socal if I've used the wrong board) that sounds like this?

Thanks,

Matt

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Tahoe's out because of snow.

If I were doing this, I'd start down in San Diego and make my way north from there. That way you can hit all of norcal plus hit spots in San Diego, LA, Santa Barbara and San Luis Obispo. Southern California is good in the winter too because there's actually a chance of tacky dirt as long as they don't get too much rain.

If you're in the Monterey area, hit me up.

-Brian

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Yea if you came out in the late spring/early summer you'd have sooo much to ride. Might wanna consider that if you can, would make your trip worth while if your main objective is riding. But if you plan on skiing/snowboarding too then Norcal is the spot.