Quantcast

Visiting Portland: Best XC trails

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I am driving to Portland from SF, and I was wondering about the best singletrack in the area.

Last time I was there about 5 years , I rode around a lake about 25 miles west of Portland, and Forest Park, but both were not too exciting (possibly, I missed the best trails, particularily at Forest Park). Anyone have a recommendation for something totally wicked?

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Hey, Not to send buisness elsewhere, but MTBR has a Oregon forum that has posts about trails in the area, and lots of active people that could tell ya about them. It seems to me the PDX crowd here is more DH/FR orientated....

How far are you willing to travel? I think the good stuff is a ways from town. Mt hood has some good XC, as well as hood river. Those are both within an hour from the city.

If you want crazy epic rides you could go hit St Helens and do the ape canyon out and back. We just recently rode there and it was amazing to say the least. But that may be too far for you....

Good luck.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
oly said:
Hey, Not to send buisness elsewhere, but MTBR has a Oregon forum that has posts about trails in the area, and lots of active people that could tell ya about them. It seems to me the PDX crowd here is more DH/FR orientated....

How far are you willing to travel? I think the good stuff is a ways from town. Mt hood has some good XC, as well as hood river. Those are both within an hour from the city.

If you want crazy epic rides you could go hit St Helens and do the ape canyon out and back. We just recently rode there and it was amazing to say the least. But that may be too far for you....

Good luck.
Actually, I am not against some vicious FR ride, mostly I figure I rather get a pedal than a huck in...

I don't mind some vicious aggro XC trail. To point out, I spent last weekend in Downieville, doing shuttle runs and XC rides, for example...

ftlrider

Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Spokane
If you're looking for trails closer to Portland try Gales Creek or Browns Camp. Otherwise you can't go wrong with Hood River.