Quantcast

Visiting San Diego: Wanna ride?

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
I'll be visiting San Diego Aug 5th - 13th for a family vacation. According to my wife, I'm allowed to ride 2 days in that span.

1. Can anybody recommend a place to rent bikes? I usually ride a Hammerhead (essentially Titus Racer-X 100) and I'd like to rent a similar quality bike if possible.

2. Anybody want to show me some trails? I'm a decent rider, but I won't try to sell my self off as a pro or anything. I like fairly technical stuff, but I'm not the type to huck off big drops. Rocky == good, but I don't want to die. I rode the popular trails in Fruita & Moab (Moore Fun, Tabaguache, Porc Rim,...etc.) without dying (I don't think I even slowed rideit down too much), so that level is good. I'm not familiar with SD terrain, so I could be way off base here. I do know the climbs will kill me since we only have short spans of steepness her in TX.

3. If I can't find people to ride with, how about some trail suggestions?

4. Off biking topic...if anybody has suggestions for things to do, places to go, places to eat or anything helpful, I'd be glad for the tips.

BTW...I'll be staying in the La Jolla area if it matters.

Hopefully I'll get to meet some monkeys. I find it more interesting to post on a forum where I know some people.

Also...yes I am currently living in TX. That doesn't necessarily make me an ignorant redneck hardcore republican (although...I guess if I were ignorant enough, I wouldn't know if I was any of those things...). Anyway, I tend to get along with just about everybody.

Thanks,
-eric

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
lovebunny said:
hey there. you can probably find someone here to borrow a bike from cause most of us have multiple bikes. for what to ride, do you want mor dh trails or xc trails?
Borrowing a bike would be cool too. I'm thinking about getting a new bike later this year, so also wouldn't mind spending some money for a 'test ride' on one of my top choices if I can find one to rent. I've also toyed with the idea of shipping my bike.

Hmmm...dh vs. xc....I'm not sure how to answer that. I don't just want to ride smooth trail, but I don't really want to ride stuff that would require dh gear (pads, full-face helmet and stuff).

My hesitation comes from not being familiar with what people out in Southern Cal call technical. I went out for a ride at one of our local places considered to be technical and met a guy that had just moved here from southern cal. I asked him if he wanted to ride with me and I explained that it was a fairly technical trail. He proceeded to explain to me that he rode in 'the real mountains' in southern cal and he was sure that he could hang. He literally lasted 2 miles before he bailed...and we were moving pretty slowly.

He was probably just a kid (~18-19 yo) that thought because he had ridden a couple of times in 'the real mountains' that he could handle anything TX had.

My point is that I don't want to tell you that I can handle technical trail and then have to bail after 2 miles because I can't hang with you. On the other hand, I don't want you to think I am a complete newbie and you take me on a fireroad trail that is completely boring.

So...after that entirely too long explanation, I'd have to say technical xc would be my preference. I want some pucker factor by I don't want to be turned inside-out.

Jeez...I need to go to some remedial communication class or something.... :)

druber

Chimp
May 23, 2005
That looks very cool. It has been added to my list (uh...actually, it is currently the only thing on my list).

Thanks.