Quantcast

Visiting the Quarries of Old

splat

Nam I am
The neighboring town, Milford Massachussets was built origianlly around Granite qurries ( there is still some quarring going on) , "Milford Pink Granite" is and was the stuff they were looking for.

Well today I Have my Sone for the day while my Wife and Daughter are skiing . We did npt plan to do this it just happened . I had My digital Rebel with me , but had the wrong lens on. I had my 50mm f1.8 lens when something a little wider was really called for.
We sepnt the better part of 3 hours Climbing around 3 of the qurries .

these quarries have not been quarried in close to 100 years

Quarry #1

a section of water flowing down the rock with a Mix of Ice.

Taken from the other side , you can see several place the ICe from thawater flow out cracks

On to Quarry #2

#2 Is a Big one!

and this one they left a Small peninsula ( sp ? ) that has the remnants of a Crane foundation.

here my Son is standing on it.

Taken from the crane platform , I have no idea why they cut the rock like thet , that slab that is sticking out is about 2 feet thick . and I really likethe drill marks behind it.

this is also taken from the same spot in the other direction , just trying to show ( and Failing ) how big this hole in the ground is!

we then went on to a 3 rd Quarry that was quite interesting , it was the smallest one and because it looked like it was all "blue " granite and the were discards every where , and it was obvius that People had been Bouldering them, which surprised me because this was way off the beaten path , but there were no good Pics.

but we had Fun and that is the important part. another time , I will have to take Peter off to see a couple of the other Big Quarries around here.

CHOP

Monkey
Aug 20, 2003
Rivermont, Va
We have a few of those around here. One is said to be over 200 feet deep. The story behind it is that they were digging and hit water, and had to bail out of the backhoe leaving it at the bottom. They say it is still down there. Not sure if that story is bogus or not.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I got my start riding a bike offroad in an abandoned gravel quarry. Steep 40 foot walls plenty of berms and jumps. It would be an awesome place for freeriding/dirt jumping. I have no idea if it even exists anymore. More than likely the Dozers came in and there is a McMansion in its place.

splat

Nam I am
CHOP said:
We have a few of those around here. One is said to be over 200 feet deep. The story behind it is that they were digging and hit water, and had to bail out of the backhoe leaving it at the bottom. They say it is still down there. Not sure if that story is bogus or not.
From My understanding , when they were working quarries , there were pumps on the whole time pumping the water out , because they are easily in to the water tables here.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
there's a quarry in rockport (pigeon cove) which has a trail all around the perimeter. it's a pretty good distance to the water in some spots (~40' i'd guess).