Quantcast

Vista a little more secure than people would like to think?

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I don't give a **** about security benchmarks. I just want a computer that is going to do a job all day long without getting in the way. My two Macs are trouble free. My new Vista laptop is a pain in the ass. How many advertisements, pops, and notices should one have to endure in a day? And no, I don't want to uninstall and configure the turd, I just want it to do the freakin job.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's good, go play on your Mac then. I get no advertisements or popups on any operating system for any computer I've ever had, and I don't spend more than 10 minutes installing a virus scanner & decent browser - both of which I'd want on a Mac as well. Oh, and on Vista you have to uncheck one configuration option to stop it from asking your permission to do things. Whee.

Seriously, this is not that complex. If Macs work well for you, fine, use them - but the non-user-created problems (or problems that aren't preventable with the simplest of programs that even Mac users should be running) that exist on PCs are few and far between.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
Do macs get bogged down and generally run like poo after a few years like windows machines do?

With a fresh install of Windows XP my computer would jump from the bios screen to a the windows desktop with an arrow as the mouse pointer in about 20 seconds, right now with all the updates I've downloaded and installed, some minor hardware changes, updating drivers, all the programs my wife has downloaded and I've uninstalled and the other garbage (acrobat updates that force you to download some photo album utility) I'm at about 2 minutes. I'm just about ready to reformat my C: partition and reload the OS to clear out some of the cobwebs that are slowing things down.

I'm not ready to jump ship on PCs but I've wondered if Macs are the same in this respect? It might be too early to tell but is Vista better than XP after a few hundred cycles of normal daily use? I honestly think the best solution may be linux, nobody in my house can figure out how to install programs so the basic OS would remain utouched indefinately.