Quantcast

Vista gobbling up images - canon sends out warning

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
First it was exif, now it is entire images. This is from Canon Officially:

"...We have discovered that the original image data of TIFF (RAW) images shot with an EOS-1D or EOS-1Ds Digital SLR Camera, and rotated or edited using Windows Explorer or Windows Gallery on a computer running Windows Vista, will disappear from the computer's memory...".

See also a warning on the same subject (image data loss in Vista) from Microsoft

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
well if an owner of a 1 series canon is using explorer or gallery to rotate images....

there was a thread on POTN from a guy who owns a 5D and 20D and didn't know how to set exposure manually. . .he was asking how...some people have more money than sense...

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Fraser and I just had an argument about this - he said he felt sorry for the business owner who found this out and lost a job. I suggested that, while I do not suggest that Microsoft should not share in the blame for this, a business owner who upgraded to Vista for their critical system(s) without redundancy of some kind perhaps deserves some of the blame for being an idiot :p

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
well if an owner of a 1 series canon is using explorer or gallery to rotate images....

there was a thread on POTN from a guy who owns a 5D and 20D and didn't know how to set exposure manually. . .he was asking how...some people have more money than sense...
I use preview on my mac to rotate & resize stuff quickly for web once and awhile with an automator script i have written.

also, POTN thread about chick who "shot a wedding" and then didn;t know how to process raw was even funnier.

Also, about what BV said. I argued that not everyone is computer literate, nor do they need to be.

Especially when MS is pushing some huge campaign down their throats about how good Vista is, how user friendly it is, how secure it is and how it is so multimedia friendly.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I just plain feel sorry for anyone trying to use Vista to edit images. Apple products are just straight better in general, but when it comes to image processing, there is no doubt what I would be using.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Anyone shooting a scene/event that cannot be duplicated really should be mirroring the images to a portable drive at the scene.

If my photographer lost my wedding, I'd be fvcking pissed and would not care one bit about MS Vista or whatever.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Anyone shooting a scene/event that cannot be duplicated really should be mirroring the images to a portable drive at the scene.

If my photographer lost my wedding, I'd be fvcking pissed and would not care one bit about MS Vista or whatever.
so should they be using both CF and SD slots in their camera, writing images to both cards? not many cameras can do that, can they?

i see your point, but would you impose a time limit from when a single card is filled to when it needs to be backed up to another source? it's not like CF cards are mayflys...

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Here is the official MSKB article, if anyone needs more information. It is caused by the same problem that affects Nikon cameras from last month.

927527 said:
Workaround
...do not use the Photo Acquisition Wizard to download the photos to the hard disk. Also, do not use Windows Photo Gallery or Windows Explorer to edit the properties of the image...

<snip> - I don't know when to quit!

klutch

Monkey
Jan 25, 2007
dirty jersey
I've got a fuji finepix 9.0 (phat camera) vista not only deleted them from the computer but also from the camera as i was "importing" them.Luckily they were not important...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
On my wifes XP machine, I don't let the camera be seen as a camera. It is mounted as a drive and I copy images from it that way. If the copy fails, the images are still on the camera.

Granted my camera is cheap, but I have a ton of memory, so I never worry about having to dump files to make room.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
so should they be using both CF and SD slots in their camera, writing images to both cards? not many cameras can do that, can they?
In my opinion, yes. That is one of the fetures that sets the 1 serries apart as a pro level camera. I've had plenty of cards fail, but for time critical shoots I can just load them from the other card. Most of the time cards can be recovered, but sometimes you just don't have time. If you shoot weddings at a few grand a peice, possibly lossing a few because of a card/software failure more than pays for the upgrade to a 1D or 1Ds. Just my opinion though.