Quantcast

Vista Halp

dan wask

Turbo Monkey
May 11, 2006
B-More Maryland
So my lappy came today, and boy am I having fun. Being able to run orange box at full capacity is quite awesome.

I'm not noticing any issues with Vista running slow, but I'd still like to know what processes I should turn off to make her run smoothly, as well as how to go about turning those processes off.

Because of the limitations of the ordering program my dad used to get my laptop through his company, I'm stuck with Vista home. I got all the other goodies I wanted ( 4 gigs of ram etc. etc.), they just give you the short end of the stick on the OS side.

Thanks in advance for any help.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Turn off User Access Control if you get frustrated with the popups asking for permission to do things to the system. It does reduce security, though: Control Panel/User Accounts/Turn UAC On or Off

To turn off services: Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Services.

You can turn things on or off, just make sure you don't turn anything off if you don't know it's okay. I mean, you know if you'll be using the computer to send faxes, so you can turn the fax service on or off. I always turn off the Windows Error Reporting Service but that's because I don't care if Microsoft has a fix to my problem, I'll usually find it myself faster. You can usually turn off UPnP unless you know you use it.

If your system is running smooth, you shouldn't worry about it too much.