Quantcast

Visual Awareness of Cyclists

Dec 2, 2016

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Your link doesn't work.

Also, I don't mind this, but can we keep it to one thread not 6 or 7 please?

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
you are operating on a faulty premise. cyclists in general are plenty visible. the average motorist is just a distracted asshole.
This.
I use a Bontrager Flair R rear flashing tail light when I am riding on any type of road. It is visible up to 1.5 miles away. If you can't see that flashing, you should be driving.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Last week, as I was riding home at dusk, I was using my ITUO Wiz 20 (1500 lumens) in flash mode. I had some douche rider follow me for about 10 blocks trying to tell me that they blinded on-coming cyclists on bike paths (we were on a one way street). I informed him that I don't ride on bike paths, that I tilt the light down, and the reason I use the light is to make drivers aware of my presence, not to see where I'm going. I also have my kid with me on the bike. I didn't ask him if he stares into the lights of on-coming cars, but the asshole just wouldn't drop it. for 10 blocks. no wonder cyclists get a bad rap.

oh yeah, linky no worky.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Last week, as I was riding home at dusk, I was using my ITUO Wiz 20 (1500 lumens) in flash mode. I had some douche rider follow me for about 10 blocks trying to tell me that they blinded on-coming cyclists on bike paths (we were on a one way street). I informed him that I don't ride on bike paths, that I tilt the light down, and the reason I use the light is to make drivers aware of my presence, not to see where I'm going. I also have my kid with me on the bike. I didn't ask him if he stares into the lights of on-coming cars, but the asshole just wouldn't drop it. for 10 blocks. no wonder cyclists get a bad rap.

oh yeah, linky no worky.
hell he would have hated me at full power. 1200 lumens on the helmet, 2400 lumens on the bar and a 300 lumen white stobe.:rofl:

Sep 11, 2015
you are operating on a faulty premise. cyclists in general are plenty visible. the average motorist is just a distracted asshole.
This.
I use a Bontrager Flair R rear flashing tail light when I am riding on any type of road. It is visible up to 1.5 miles away. If you can't see that flashing, you should be driving.
I agree that the average motorist is a distracted asshole, but cyclists often don't do much to help make themselves more visible to motorists. I pass road riders on my morning and evening commutes quite often, and while I do see them (because I'm not a distracted asshole), I'm often astonished at how much they blend into the landscape, especially in spots where trees throw shadows over the road. It's also eye-opening to occasionally come upon 2 cyclists where one is in darker gear, and the other in lighter gear. The difference in visibility between the two is significant. But then look at how much cycling clothing and helmets are black. I know hi-vis looks pretty fuckin' dorky, but it sure is a lot easier to see out on the road.

RoboDonkey has the right idea. I have that same tail light, and have been pleasantly surprised at how effective it is not only at night or in low light, but also during the day. Most of the cars that pass me do so a lot slower and they move over a lot more.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout

oh yeah, linky no worky.
you should have just shined the light right in his eyes.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I agree that the average motorist is a distracted asshole, but cyclists often don't do much to help make themselves more visible to motorists. I pass road riders on my morning and evening commutes quite often, and while I do see them (because I'm not a distracted asshole), I'm often astonished at how much they blend into the landscape, especially in spots where trees throw shadows over the road. It's also eye-opening to occasionally come upon 2 cyclists where one is in darker gear, and the other in lighter gear. The difference in visibility between the two is significant. But then look at how much cycling clothing and helmets are black. I know hi-vis looks pretty fuckin' dorky, but it sure is a lot easier to see out on the road.

RoboDonkey has the right idea. I have that same tail light, and have been pleasantly surprised at how effective it is not only at night or in low light, but also during the day. Most of the cars that pass me do so a lot slower and they move over a lot more.
yea but they gotta rock their team replica kits so they can be in 758th place on Strava

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
you should have just shined the light right in his eyes.
I would have, but he was freakin' following me, hovering behind me (in what would be a car's blindspot). This was in a bike lane, wide enough for one biker, on a one way street, in the middle of rush hour... I'm sure the other drivers were really impressed with him!

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

It's not just cyclists though, pedestrians too. Hell, even cars that don't turn their lights on are idiots. Yesterday as I was riding home (it's dark and raining at this point in time), I was startled by a runner that stepped into the intersection as I was approaching. He was wearing all black, with no lights, and not a single reflector on him. It was like an apparition! I think this time of year is the toughest for that though, especially when it rains.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
I would have, but he was freakin' following me, hovering behind me (in what would be a car's blindspot). This was in a bike lane, wide enough for one biker, on a one way street, in the middle of rush hour... I'm sure the other drivers were really impressed with him!
Make sure your kid has a bunch of clementines. He'll get the hint when they start flying his way. :D

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
sounds like he should have been one brake grab away from being within arms reach. just sayin'

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Bright blinky tail lights = drivers more likely to hit you. Already proven stats on this one, drivers see the light but not the runner/cyclist, and when looking at the blinky blinky they turn their heads trying to figure it out, and the vast majority if they turn their heads they subconsciously turn their vehicle to follow.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Just saw a dude in Downtown LA riding his bike on the sidewalk with a small dog in a handlebar basket. The dog was barking constantly so pedestrians could hear him coming, like a bike bell. Seems effective.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Bright blinky tail lights = drivers more likely to hit you. Already proven stats on this one, drivers see the light but not the runner/cyclist, and when looking at the blinky blinky they turn their heads trying to figure it out, and the vast majority if they turn their heads they subconsciously turn their vehicle to follow.
That's why you wear a neon yellow jacket with reflective patches and reflective ankle bands vs dark shit and just a blinky light...

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I wear a complete hi-viz yellow clown suit on my winter commute. Reflective swaths on each calf, reflective patches on each pannier, reflective strip along each tire, lit (but not flashing) rear light and reflector, 2200 lumens up front with 800 more due to arrive this evening... but of all this the most important bit is that I'm not sharing the road with cars except for the short bit on the hospital campus. Everything else is on protected paths.

Sep 11, 2015
Let's see where you got these proven stats.

Sep 11, 2015
I don't currently have any sources citing the effectiveness of blinking lights, but if they are so likely to cause a collision, then why do we see them so often on motorcycle headlights and on construction barriers? Wouldn't they all be solid if what you're asserting is true?

Last edited:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Maybe I was scrolling too quickly, but I had a hard time wading through that. Seems to be mostly about front/white lights. What was your conclusion based on the evidence?
Hi-viz + light on is the way to go. I don't recall much about flashing or not. Been a few years.