Quantcast

Vivid+Supreme DH+Direct Mount questions

montecro

Chimp
Feb 9, 2008
Don't worry, I don't think a vivid is a front fork.

I recently brought a 2007 Supreme DH without a shock/fork, I'm really interested in buying the vivid, due to it getting great reviews so far.

I live in Europe, so I use chainreactioncycles to get most of my equipment, but it says it's sold without bushings 'etc', does this mean the spring too? They don't sell bushings or springs for the vivid on there. According to commencal I need 22.2mmx8 bushings, any idea where I can pick them up?

I also have no idea what the wheel travel is on the Supreme DH, I'm trying to use the spring calculator on TFTuned, and it's saying I need a 120lb spring, which doesn't seem quite right(that's with 7".)

I'm running the frame with a Fox 40 up front, and interested in picking up a risse top crown with a e.thirteen stem, but I'm worried that because it will put all the stress onto the handlebars it will cause them to bend during a crash, does anyone have huge issues with handlebars bending? or snapping? I'd rather just go with a standard stem if it's going to save me alot of money in the long run.

Thanks

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
what you want is reducers, not bushings. you can get them from mojo or tf tuned.

you can use normal springs on them, it uses 1.5in id springs, which are bigger then what fox, manitou and 5th element use. they are the same size as the springs avalanche, romic and canecreek use.

whats your weight? the spring calculator on tf tuned works fine. i think you put in the shock lenght instead of the shock stroke.

direct mount stems do put slightly more stress on the bars, but bending or breaking bars from that is rare. i run a go-ride integrated stem/top crown on my 40s and love them.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
Well, can't answer your questions about the shock on the supreme, however, I have been running a direct mount stem for going into my 5th year, and thus far, no problems with bending handlebars. That said, the bars I have run with direct mount are Azonic World Force, Easton EA70, Answer Protaper lo-rise(the xc ones), Funn Fatboys, and Sunline V-one OS lo-rise. Stems I've used are Manitou Direct to the Dorado, Sic, Funn, and E.13. Good luck with the rest of your endeavors.

montecro

Chimp
Feb 9, 2008
what you want is reducers, not bushings. you can get them from mojo or tf tuned.

you can use normal springs on them, it uses 1.5in id springs, which are bigger then what fox, manitou and 5th element use. they are the same size as the springs avalanche, romic and canecreek use.
What are the differences between reducers and bushings?

How expensive are standard steel springs from those companys?

dhkid said:
whats your weight? the spring calculator on tf tuned works fine. i think you put in the shock lenght instead of the shock stroke.
I weigh 62kg, but I didn't know you could buy such low rated springs
dhkid said:
direct mount stems do put slightly more stress on the bars, but bending or breaking bars from that is rare. i run a go-ride integrated stem/top crown on my 40s and love them.
I wouldn't of thought it could be that much of a problem or they wouldn't be so popular! Are they worth the price? It's looking to be about 170-200 euros for a risse top crown and a ridiculous amount of money for some machined pieces of aluminum from e.thirteen.

Thanks

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
bushings are the red (on fox shocks) things on the shock, is what you press the reducers into.

you will need a 250 spring.

direct mount stems are expensive, but worth it, no more misaligned bars. i would suggest getting the go-ride integrated stem/crown since the dollar is weak now. and its a far superior solution then the risse and e13 stem put together. that, and it looks good.

http://www.go-ride.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=15980000-1128808163

montecro

Chimp
Feb 9, 2008
So i buy standard 1.5" bushings, then use reducers so they fit in my frame? Have i got that right?

That go-ride stem looks good, I might have to get one of those as the season gets closer!

djamgils

Monkey
Aug 31, 2007
Holland
So i buy standard 1.5" bushings, then use reducers so they fit in my frame? Have i got that right?
Thats not correct.
the spring InnerDiameter is 1.5" that is different then manitou, fox, marzocchi springs. You need a spring from rockshox.
The reducers are the aluminium cilinders that go into the eye of the shock and they should be te same width as your current reducers.

This shop has al the parts online, I ordered my vivid there a couple of day ago should be here in less then 2 weeks.
http://bike-components.de/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?osCsid=386e02980e6eca55e5cac5cdd2073709&keywords=vivid

tredhed

Chimp
Feb 20, 2008
Andorra
Sorry montecro, we gave you the wrong info. You do need 22.2 x 8mm reducers, not bushings (bad translation from french, thanks for setting things right, dhkid). The DH uses a 222mm x 70mm shock, so any brand that has a shock in that dimension will fit with the right reducers.

If its worth anything, the bikes designers tried a pre-production Vivid on the DH, and thought it lacked some "sensitivity". But this was a standard shock not set up specifically for the DH, and the guys have not tried the production version, which may be better.

Hope that helps.