Quantcast

Vodka

Konabumm

Konaboner
Jun 13, 2003
Hollywood, Maryland, United States
Ok so this past weekend I was drinking Vodka, Redbull, and a splash of cranberry.

YUMMY YUMMY - I never knew vodka could be so good. I would like to try another vodka drink - something that has that same refreshing taste without the caffeine

Also - what a good vodka to use - I really don't want to spend the $$$ on Grey Goose

Thanks Monkeys

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
nothing beats a vodka martini with a twist of lemon instead of olives.

a good general purpose vodka would be Skyy...

BadDNA

hophead
Mar 31, 2006
Living the dream.
I think it's a bit of a girly drink, but a Cape Codder is similar.

1 part vodka
2 parts cranberry juice
1 slice of lime

serve over ice in a highball glass

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
So you decide you finally like vodka once it's mixed with enough stuff that you can't taste it?

For a basic vodka martini: Get some decent quality vodka and add 3 shots to a shaker filled with ice. Splash some dry vermouth in a chilled martini glass, then dump it out (the residue is all you need). Shake or stir the vodka, then strain into the glass. Add an olive, couple of pickled onions, or a twist of lemon.

When you can enjoy a spirit nearly straight up like this, then you know you like it. I prefer gin but to each his own. And FYI, if you ask for a "martini" without specifying that you want vodka, you will probably get gin. (The easy way to avoid it is to name the specific spirit.)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
For drinking (and mixing if you really need to) I would recommend trying Luksusowa. It's a potato vodka that tastes good and it's REALLY cheap (about $15 for a 750ml bottle). Our local BJs has a liqor store that sells the 1L bottle for $20.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
If I am not using a flavored vodka, I almost always drink Ketel One.

I had a raspberry vodka martini in Vegas for the first time recently. It was equal parts triple sec and raspberry vodka (Absolut?), with a splash of lime juice. Good gawd, it was amazing.

Jr_Bullit

I'm sooo teenie weenie!!!
Sep 8, 2001
North of Oz
Unless you're into drinking your vodka straight, or in a vodka martini (no juices or other flavors), Smirnoff or Absolut should serve you well.

A year ago or so, I read in the NYtimes that they did a bunch of blind taste-tests with vodkas - the people doing the tasting were those so-called snooty afterwork vodka drinkers who think they know all there is to know about Vodka. But when blindfolded, they can't tell potato vodka from grain, much less smirnoff from grey goose.

We tested a bunch of them for martinis on guests, and smirnoff was always a hit.

BTW - if you're into vodka and redbull, add in Jagermeister and have a Jagerbomb.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
please refrain for polluting your vodka martini with vermouth!!!

bad enough to put that crap in a gin martini... it is semi-allowable to wave an unopened vermouth bottle in the general direction of your shaker if you *must* but that's extent of it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
My current vodka stash is as follows:
Ketel One (3)
Charbay (3): Polmagranate, green tea, plain/clear.

yes, five liters. We just re-stocked for upcoming parties.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
My current vodka stash is as follows:
Ketel One (3)
Charbay (3): Polmagranate, green tea, plain/clear.

yes, five liters. We just re-stocked for upcoming parties.
I forgot that i have a Players Carmel (for making Desperate Housewives) and in the freezer a Stoli Lemon and a bottle of Blavod from Halloween

..and a bottle of Iceburg... (not highly recommended)

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
mmmm vodka.

I was hooked on vodka martinis for a while, I like em super dirty.

But for the past couple of weeks I have been living off of salty dogs. Vodka and grapefruit with salt around the rim. They are fan-frickin-tastic. I like them with just a splash of grapefruit juice.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Any old vodkas w/ grapefruit juice or cranberry or orange juice. Mostly vodka, splash of juice for color.

The most rockin drink:
32oz Coke Slurpee w/ 4-5 shots (or more) of Stoli Vanil on top. The Stoli percolates down through the Slurpee. Tastes a little like rootbeer.

You get hammered AND a brain freeze.
:huh:

:monkeydance:

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
That sounds awesome :drool:
I used to ride to the bar where my ex girlfriend worked. There was a 7-11 on the way, I'd stop there and pick up a Slurpee and drink enough to make room for the vodka on the way.

There were many, many nights that I could not figure out how I rode my bike back home.

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
I tried a couple vodkas I hadn't had before the other night.
44 Degrees North: potato vodka flavored with huckleberry, smooth and the huckleberry isn't overpowering
Tito's Handmade Vodka: Back of the bottle says 100% grain and six times distilled. Those two things don't matter though because the stuff isn't that great and not worth the money.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Grey Goose, Smirnoff, Stoli...I can't taste the focking difference.
And unless it's one of those frou-frou flavored vodkas, according to US and European laws, the distillation process must render the vodka tasteless. It gets filtered through charcoal and distilled so many times, it's reduced to pure alcohol that's cut with water--hence the neutral flavor. Rye grain or potato vodka....doesn't make a difference in flavor........it's all rendered down to a neutral status.

That being said, my favorite vodka is Svedka. Keep it slow by putting the freeze to it and add a splash of cranberry. No ice.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Any old vodkas w/ grapefruit juice or cranberry or orange juice. Mostly vodka, splash of juice for color.

The most rockin drink:
32oz Coke Slurpee w/ 4-5 shots (or more) of Stoli Vanil on top. The Stoli percolates down through the Slurpee. Tastes a little like rootbeer.

You get hammered AND a brain freeze.
:huh:

:monkeydance:
doood! you ain't kiddin. it's a damn good thing I can drink at work (after hours)