Quantcast

Voicemail privacy and legality question...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
...if someone leaves me a voicemail message, can I replay the message or a portion of the message publically? Is the message "mine" to do whatever I want with?

(LONG story....don't ask)

J

JRB

yes - post it on a site and link to it. STAT.

I have no idea, but I want to hear it.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
loco said:
yes - post it on a site and link to it. STAT.

I have no idea, but I want to hear it.
I need a question answered here.

I'm not here to amuse you, Capt. Fellatio.

J

JRB

Not a paralegal, but reading lawguru, you could get that shoved pretty far up your ass in CA I think. I think the best answer, as much as I want to hear it, is to not do anything with it.

*How do they get away posting 911 calls on the Internet though?

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Technically speaking, when someone leaves a "voice-mail" they are leaving themselves open to having that message played to someone else or publicly.

The mentality is that same as informing someone that they are being recorded during a phone conversation, except in this case, the consent is implied due to the nature of a voice-mail being recorded.

Conversely however, the argument can be made that that the voice-mail was meant strictly for the recipient, and cannot be shared publicly. However the issue here is the fact that the conversation is in a recorded format, and the individual leaving the voice-mail cannot with a 100% certainty know that the voice-mail being left is for the intended individual.

In a court of law it could be argued both ways, but the prevalent fact that the implied consent to the recording, unless otherwise noted (or voiced) in all probability negates any privacy issues.

(Disclaimer: This is a discussion of legal theories of the subject contained herein, and shall not be construed as legal advice. Anyone having any legal concerns is strongly urged to discuss their particular situation with an attorney.)

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
sirknight6 said:
In a court of law it could be argued both ways, but the prevalent fact that the implied consent to the recording, unless otherwise noted (or voiced) in all probability negates any privacy issues.
Thanks!

What if the person leaving the message is completely f*cking insane?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If this person is really nuts, the question is not whether it's illegal, it's whether you have any bunnies that might get boiled if you make public something they expected would remain private.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OGRipper said:
If this person is really nuts, the question is not whether it's illegal, it's whether you have any bunnies that might get boiled if you make public something they expected would remain private.
Yeah, boiling rabbits tend to trump all.......

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
DRB said:
Especially if the person is completely f*cking insane... its a moral imperative.
Especially what, a no-no or a hell yeah?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
This is a perfect time for the smiley I don't have that says "This thread is worthless without the tape." :)

It is your moral imperative to at least post a transcript here.

J

JRB

I knew when I said not to post it everyone would f'n rain down with, Oh hell yeah, post that sh*t. I knew you would cave in too. Sheep. :D

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
H8R said:
...if someone leaves me a voicemail message, can I replay the message or a portion of the message publically? Is the message "mine" to do whatever I want with?

(LONG story....don't ask)

Direct answer, A voice message is your do do as you please with!!! so have some fun with it!!