Quantcast

VOIP routers?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Whatcha got going that's good?

My Linksys is experiencing funkiness. I am going to finish troubleshooting tonight, but I think the router is on the way out. When I reboot it, everything works fine, but after 10-20 minutes, the latency times jump really high. Doesn't matter where I am in the network (directly connected to it, the wireless laptop, whatever), the ping times to the router are 3000ms or higher.

Only thing I have left to try tonight is to unplug everything except one computer and see if the same thing happens.

So... assuming it's shot, is anyone else using VOIP? What are you using for a router?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Some consumer routers have rudimentary traffic shaping/packet prioritizing/QOS built in that would probably do what you want (play nice with VoIP, gaming, or whatever traffic). Dlink, Trendnet, Linksys, and others make these products.

Dlink has a cool emulator feature on most of their website product listings so you can check out what you can setup before buying it.

StreamEngine is name brand consumer QoS technology found in some consumer routers.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
No... Sorry, syadasti, I wasn't clear. I mean a VoIP router w/ phone ports built in.

I actually bought myself some time last night - I am routing everything through my WRT54GS and only using the RTP300 for the phone capability. Seems to be working okay for now.

Maybe I'll pick up a Linksys PAP2 next time it goes on sale.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
No... Sorry, syadasti, I wasn't clear. I mean a VoIP router w/ phone ports built in.

I actually bought myself some time last night - I am routing everything through my WRT54GS and only using the RTP300 for the phone capability. Seems to be working okay for now.

Maybe I'll pick up a Linksys PAP2 next time it goes on sale.
Is that the router that comes with Vonage?

I use my Dlink D524 router for all the wired and wireless routing, and just chain the Vonage router off of that. No probs.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Yes, it is. How do you have your router configured? For some reason, I need to have both my WAN port and one of the LAN ports plugged into my router to get the voice to work.

I have my WRT54GS set up to serve DHCP, and my Vonage router set to pick up a static IP address. If I plug only the WAN port in, I don't get my voice line. If I plug both a WAN and LAN port in, it works fine. Not a big deal, I'd just like to free up a port so I don't have to swap it when I want to print to my network printer.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I dunno. Lemme look at it tonight.

Yes, it is. How do you have your router configured? For some reason, I need to have both my WAN port and one of the LAN ports plugged into my router to get the voice to work.

I have my WRT54GS set up to serve DHCP, and my Vonage router set to pick up a static IP address. If I plug only the WAN port in, I don't get my voice line. If I plug both a WAN and LAN port in, it works fine. Not a big deal, I'd just like to free up a port so I don't have to swap it when I want to print to my network printer.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i´ve got a kentrox q2300.
got one over 2 years ago, then replaced it with a new one about 6 months ago. it wasnt very reliable, had to restart it at least once a week.