Quantcast

Volkswagen Iroc

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
It does these days. But there was a day that a Monte SS was a sweet car. Especially when you yank the motor and add a 4 bolt main 350 with upwards of 300 hp.
still screamed mullet even back then tho :busted:

Bullitrider

Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
Seattle
I would love to have one now. Did you ever see the Bahn Brenner Corrado? I believe it was supercharged and turboed. Custom 20v head...soooo sweet.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I would love to have one now. Did you ever see the Bahn Brenner Corrado? I believe it was supercharged and turboed. Custom 20v head...soooo sweet.
Nah, never saw that....sounds awesome. A buddy of mine amped his with a 70hp super and a 30 hp exhaust and header combo....working on those things was like trying to be gentle with an anorexic on your wedding night....to damn small..... But man, what a ride!

:banana:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I really enjoyed the Corrado....especially the G60....man that thing was a rocket with 4 wheels....
They left out of the brochure "Intermitent sunroof and power windows".

G60...the original Improvised Explosive Device.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Very nice. Just make the interior more spartan, give it the lightweight treatment (its been a long time coming VW), a 1.8T with 250hp and you've got a recipe for major success.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
My older brother just used a T72 turbo on his VR6 with a quaiffe in the transmission. Good for 617hp at the wheels and very little traction.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Very nice. Just make the interior more spartan, give it the lightweight treatment (its been a long time coming VW), a 1.8T with 250hp and you've got a recipe for major success.
not the slightest chance that the lightweight deal will happen. if you want a racecar you're going to have to build up an old scirocco on your own (and frankly i don't see why one would choose to do such a thing outside of brand loyalty -- many cars out there with better platforms to start with in terms of suspension design, etc.)

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
One only needs to drive an (good condition) 16v 80's dub once to understand the term 'go-kart' or 'pocket rocket'. Awsome little cars and they DO in fact have good platforms for racing in appropriate classes, seing as you end up fabricating most of it anyways and suspension is nowhere near stock. Still, a man can dream about a light, fun to drive and fast dub without major mods. please make it happen VW.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
One only needs to drive an (good condition) 16v 80's dub once to understand the term 'go-kart' or 'pocket rocket'. Awsome little cars and they DO in fact have good platforms for racing in appropriate classes, seing as you end up fabricating most of it anyways and suspension is nowhere near stock. Still, a man can dream about a light, fun to drive and fast dub without major mods. please make it happen VW.
and what is the appropriate class given these modifications? in autox you'd be stuck in one of the Modified classes, whether Street Mod (if you didn't modify suspension geometry) or something like A-F Mod. starting with an early '90s civic, miata, rx-7 or the like with double wishbones and similarly light weight would be a much better call.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
One word:

Rallye

4wd, G60. Fast. Put that on an road course, add a few mods, and say goodbye to your misconceptions. Then there are the MK1's that can race in 'historic' races that they have at clubs (imagine 20 little 80's buzz boxxes running around a road course). You can also add whatever suspension you want, along with difs, turbos, etc. Your wallet is the limit if your racing in mod classes. Even so, its certainly competitive against the hatches of its era.

And at any rate, the point I initialy made had zilch to do with 'racing' but I went along. VW's were very light, fun to drive cars and thats the point. They still are good handling cars by admission but the fun to drive factor has been misplaced along with the frugal essence that made a dub a dub.

Now if I were to seriously race autocross, I'd be in a SRT4. Why? Because it's cheap and will beat the pants off of most anything out there on the little courses.

edit, last time I checked the suspension was independent in the front, rear wasnt but with a few mods you can get it to track fine.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
The color matched interior of that concept is horrible......