Quantcast

Volume Destroyer

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Yo, I'm just getting into BMXing again after a long long hiatus. I picked up a 21" Volume Destroyer at what I think is a good deal - less than $400 new. Does anyone have any knowledge of this bike or any experience with it? I hope Volume makes good bikes, and I feel pretty confident this should be an awesome bike for a born-again BMXer.
Oh, I plan on riding primarily DJs and parks.

Jimmy

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Volume completes have become some of the best deals in BMX.

When they first started they had some trouble with frames cracking, but seem to have gotten those issues sorted out nicely.

Overall the completes are a little more heavy than a bike I would build for myself, but for the price it can't be beat.

Have fun!

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Yo dud, what do you use for a bike? Weight? I'm getting a Eastern Jane tuesday and I'm gonna go nuts on parts. I don't think I want ti this and ti that. I'm not gonna waste money on ti shiete, but what would you suggest to get the bike down to like 32 lbs. I was thinking of maybee getting a smaller drivetrain with a cassette hub. Not sure though. Are there duds doing sick stuff with 35lb bikes too? I'm new to this too. Thanks to Jimmy2x, I'm getting into another $$$ wasting habit :D

Knuckle

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Oh, shoot. Sorry, I never saw Knuck's post, so I never answered the question.

I ride a Terrible One Barcode, and it probably weighs around 32 lbs. The frame (an older model) weighs over 7 lbs, so unless I go crazy, that's about as light as it's gonna ever be. I have a race stem, light wheels and no pegs.

Cassette hubs are generally pretty heavy. You might consider a nice flip-flop hub and the new Odyssey 13 tooth freewheel with a 36 tooth sprocket. If you've got the cake, Profile cassettes are lighter, but also quite expensive.

Rotating weight is important, so lighter wheels and tires would be a good idea, and depending on what you've got, cranks are another good place to save weight.

You can also go with a lighter seat/post combo, but if you're like me, you'll get sick of replacing them all the time.

I'm going to really stick my foot in it this time and say that your frame and fork aren't the best places to really skimp on weight/strength. I wouldn't go much under 6 lbs for a freestyle frame, and I've seen a few riders take some trips to the ER after spectacular lightweight fork failures.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Oh, and I forgot to add another point...

Yes, I've seen people tear it up on bikes weighing as much as 40 lbs, but most of those guys are rolling on bikes in the low 30's these days. Unless it's just crazy heavy, you can and will adjust to most anything.

Oh, and if you go with 36's instead of 48's for your wheelset, keep 'em tight... Fewer spokes mean more truing unless you keep up on it.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Knucks:
Is there a thread devoted to this bike somwhere? What kind of frame and such are you rocking there?

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Yeah, it's a Haro, Ryan Nyquil model. I hated to go mainstream, but liked the look and fell of the frame and figure 99% of these bikes are made in China, so they are all probably as good as one another. Haro has been around a while. It's 100% chro-mo. Anyhow it's not a Haro anymore.

Knuckle

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
haro's only suck if you break them.......

plenty of people do, but plenty of people don't as well.

RandomV

Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
Indiana
Yeah, the top tube/seat stay junction was looking Nyquist-esque, but I was under the impression that those frames had internal headsets these days.

Ah well, even a genius like me can be wrong from time to time, eh?

I've seen Nyquist do crazy crap on that frame, so I wouldn't worry about it breaking out from under you. Looks good to me. :thumb:

Knuckleslammer

took the red pill
Well the nyquist pro has the internal headset. I diddn't like the midnight blue color so I went with the nyquist R2, which is the next step down, the R1 has the high tensile sheite. Homey don't do high tensile steel, so I got the R2. Same frame as the pro basically minus the internal headset. I got a PIG on it so I'll be fine. I think. Plus I suck, so the chances of me bustin a frame are nill.
Knuckle

JimmyTwoTimes

Monkey
Jun 26, 2003
West Hartford
Ahem...so as I was saying, I finally got my new Destroyer :D

I'm going shopping this week to give her a facelift - new chainwheel, brakes, wheelset, sprocket, stem and pedals....at least for now. :)