Quantcast

Volunteer To Help Us Build A Mountain Bike Park In Seattle

coiler7

Monkey
May 30, 2005
Kent, WA
yeh, anyone whose interested in this collonade trail park really should actually drive down there & check it out. pretty cool site but parking??? i could see an increase in problems w/ non-customer riders using REI's garage... (hmmm, "do METRO Bus racks hold big bikes?").:rolleyes:

:mumble:
Go For IT!

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I'm going to be busy during school, but I should have time during this upcoming break (starting next Wednesday). I would like to get involved.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I am going to try and be there.....:)
I-5 COLONNADE WORK PARTY #12 Saturday, December 3rd - 9:00 AM

Ride leader: Jon Kennedy Location: I-5 Colonnade Park

Join us Saturday 12/3 from 9:00am to 1pm as we continue to button up our work on the south side of the access road. From there, assuming we finish, we'll begin working on the upper NE area outside of the canopy of the freeway deck.
Please make sure to wear sturdy boots/shoes... this is very important.You will also want to bring work gloves, water, & food. We'll provide some snacks but it is encouraged that you bring a bite.

Where Do We Meet?
The park is located off Lakeview Blvd East under the deck of the I-5 freeway between Seattle’s Eastlake and Capitol Hill neighborhoods.
From I-5 North - Take exit 168A. (Lakeview Blvd. exit). Take a left at the stop sign and we're just on the left under the freeway.
From I-5 South - Take Exit 168A (Boylston Ave. exit). Follow Boylston Ave for a half mile and veer left under the overpass onto Lakeview Blvd. Colonnade is on the right under the deck of the freeway.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me at: jon@bbtc.org

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
fattyfat1 said:
will this help? i'm mobile and can move the dirt and rocks of 50 men!
Oh heck yeah! Let's talk and figure out how to do this. One of the things we're doing is using gabion retaining walls. These are wire mesh boxes that are filled with cobble. If you've been to the site they're what the city has used as retaining along the stairs and ADA path. Being able to load the cobble in with a loader would be great! Also plenty of other moving and loading tasks we could do such as moving/dragging boulders around.

Justin
206-524-2900
justin@bbtc.org

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You all shoulda have seen ole Rhino shoving people aside and stepping on little doggies at the big opening ceremony to get Mayor Gregg Nichols autograph.:dancing:

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Skookum said:
You all shoulda have seen ole Rhino shoving people aside and stepping on little doggies at the big opening ceremony to get Mayor Gregg Nichols autograph.:dancing:
Yeah, I was kind of freaked out when he pushed that old lady and her toy poodle into the dirt and made a huge scene. But hey, its the mayor, so I understand.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Tenchiro said:
Was there a big to do today? I was going to head down but it was just to damn cold.
You missed out on coffee and cake.:oink:

Plus the all exciting ribbon cutting ceremony!:eek: i would have skipped the birth of my first born for it....:monkey:

ffonsok

Monkey
Dec 6, 2005
Is this park themed towards downhill (jumps, drops, skinnies, etc) or more for cross country riders?

Also, describe the location more... are they trails or is it more of a park, like SST?

Thanks, and i'm always willing to lend a hand! :thumb:

nathan
Freeride Sammamish Team Rider
www.freeridesammamish.com

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
It'll have xc features and progressive features. It'll have elements of a park and elements of a trail. I'm not willing to label it as xc, downhill or freeride. A skills park is probably the best label. Here's a deiscription I posted on another board that should give you an idea of what we're building:

Here's a link to our plans. They're easier to understand when you see them in person on the standard big architectural size paper, but the online version should give you a good idea.

http://www.bbtc.org/php/show_page.php?page_id=99

You can also get to this page by just going to http://bbtc.org and clicking the link about Colonnade on our home page.

In a nutshell, the design goes like this: there will be about 1.5 miles of trail in a hilly 2 acre site. But rather than focusing on trail mileage we're building the park to feature Technical Trail Features (TTFs). These will be built to both simulate our favorite features on a backcountry xc trail, and also to give us some of the progressive style man-made obstacles. TTF's will include things like rock gardens, boulders, skinnies, log rides, steep sections, small drops, switchbacks, wall rides, small jumps, bermed corners, trials features, ladder bridges, simulated rooty sections, etc.

The park will have a novice area, a trails area, and an area with intermediate and advanced features. The idea is that anyone, regardless of style or skill level can have fun riding here and not get bored after a few visits. The park will also evolve over time as we refine and upgrade the features. Lots and lots of rock will be used in this park.

Here's one of our design drawings, click the link above to see more. Its very schematic in nature, so the actual features will be more detailed and varied than what we show here.

Drawing and designs by Art Tuftee.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Target opening date is October 2006. We'd like to open sections of the park before then as we get them completed. Most likely early openings are the Novice area we're building now and some of the trials features. These will still probably take at least 5 months before they can open.

juice said:
Target opening date is October 2006. We'd like to open sections of the park before then as we get them completed. Most likely early openings are the Novice area we're building now and some of the trials features. These will still probably take at least 5 months before they can open.
That's what I thought, but all this talk of ceremonies and the Mayor had me confused.....not hard to do. :)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Skookum said:
juice said:
Yeah, I was kind of freaked out when he pushed that old lady and her toy poodle into the dirt and made a huge scene. But hey, its the mayor, so I understand.
:D

Hey now, in my defense the doggies were small and the old lady was slow.....try and make me sound bad. :think: err wait....

How could I resist? I was Mayor Nichols! :sneaky: :rolleyes:

Skookum got a bigger peice of cake than I did. :mumble: He needs it more, that kid is skinny. ;)

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
Turns out it's really easy to get to. Basically going North, get off at 168A and park on the side of the road. The hard part was getting across I-5 in less than 1 exit, scary as hell. It looks good, and I can't wait to see it finished.