Quantcast

Volunteers Needed for Windham World Cup Courses

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Here's your chance to step up and lend a hand:thumb:

We're looking for volunteers to help with trail construction for the UCI Windham World Cup races coming up August 27-19. Anyone interested in helping us get the courses ready should meet at Windham Mountain Outfitters on Tuesdays at 5:30PM and Saturdays at 10AM. If you have them, bring tools -- especially weed whackers, rock rakes and pick axes. If you don't have them, bring yourselves and a willingness to lend us a hand to get the courses ready for these exciting races.

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Umm.. thats cool and all but that seems a bit bootleg to be building a world cup caliber track with completely random people. I'm picturing the lifties from plattekill showing up with pickaxes in one hand and a bong in the other

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Umm.. thats cool and all but that seems a bit bootleg to be building a world cup caliber track with completely random people. I'm picturing the lifties from plattekill showing up with pickaxes in one hand and a bong in the other
And in that case you would have truely have a world class course:thumb:
shut up and ride. :D

I'm sure they have someone leading the charge (anyone care to confirm this?). They just need more hands.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
they seem pretty desperate since they keep posting on their FB for people to help.

youd think that since they have it there the next two years, theyd be relying more on full-time staff.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Is anyone else holding their breath about this race? I want like hell for it to succeed, but given the drama surrounding the place (the GES debacle; the lack of infrastructure in Windham; the fact that it was off, then on; relying on volunteers to help build the track, etc.) I'm a bit worried.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Is anyone else holding their breath about this race? I want like hell for it to succeed, but given the drama surrounding the place (the GES debacle; the lack of infrastructure in Windham; the fact that it was off, then on; relying on volunteers to help build the track, etc.) I'm a bit worried.

Keeping my fingers crossed!

Same here. Really wanting this event to shine but the events leading up to it are not boding well .
The course needs to be bad a$$ and maybe it will be but i'm a lil nervous at this point

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
did they have the problem last year where they werent a USAC race or was that somewhere else?
Yes. Both Windham and Wisp were supposed to be USAC races but were not.

[Not pointing fingers, just stating facts.]

C'mon, Windham! I really hope you guys pull off a great event.

Ianpowell

Chimp
Jun 27, 2010
There is a group of people in charge of course building, and the event is being run by the owners of Windham Mountain Outfitters and other community members. The courses are cut and we are working on improvements. We looking some people to lend a hand getting the courses ready to ride after a long winter.

gemini2k

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2005
San Francisco
Umm.. thats cool and all but that seems a bit bootleg to be building a world cup caliber track with completely random people.
Uh dood, they build skyscrapers with people who barely finished HS (no offense to construction folk). I think just about anyone is qualified to use a shovel to move dirt according to direction.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
It is really sad. Being 2 1/2hrs from Windham I was really looking forward to this. Now it just seems half-azzed. You think they would bring in a professional trail crew. This is starting to look very bleak.

olddogbmxer

Monkey
Aug 9, 2007
There is a committee of experienced people heading this up(that ran the National there which was very successful) and they need help with trail maintenance and prepping all the courses which includes XC, DH and 4X so it is a pretty large task and they could use some help. The old drama of the GES race, sanctioning etc. is old news and the people involved in that are not involved in this so it really has no bearing on what is going on for the WC.
So instead of all the negative vibes go lend a hand and actually see what is going on.

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
There is a committee of experienced people heading this up(that ran the National there which was very successful) and they need help with trail maintenance and prepping all the courses which includes XC, DH and 4X so it is a pretty large task and they could use some help. The old drama of the GES race, sanctioning etc. is old news and the people involved in that are not involved in this so it really has no bearing on what is going on for the WC.
So instead of all the negative vibes go lend a hand and actually see what is going on.
exactly....or just wait for an awesome event along the lines of the MSA Verillium. Amateur DH, Amateur xc, amateur 4x, WC downhill, WC xc, WC 4x. Parties, fun games, vendor village. This is NOT a mountain putting on an event, rather it is the whole community embracing Mountain Bike Racing.

Phil has already been there to examine the terrain for his 4x course and the DH course is all laid out. It just needs the final touches.:thumb:

Thanks for posting, Dieter and Ian. Hope to see both you guys at Plattekill this weekend.

Ianpowell

Chimp
Jun 27, 2010
exactly....or just wait for an awesome event along the lines of the MSA Verillium. Amateur DH, Amateur xc, amateur 4x, WC downhill, WC xc, WC 4x. Parties, fun games, vendor village. This is NOT a mountain putting on an event, rather it is the whole community embracing Mountain Bike Racing.

Phil has already been there to examine the terrain for his 4x course and the DH course is all laid out. It just needs the final touches.:thumb:

Thanks for posting, Dieter and Ian. Hope to see both you guys at Plattekill this weekend.
Thanks for the encouraging words. I'm posting a link to the Windham World Cup Trail Builders Blog. We are still getting this site going, but hopefully it will allow people to see what is going on and keep up with the construction of the trails.

http://windhamworldcuptrailbuilders.tumblr.com/

dondon

Monkey
FYI
Every world cup in the rest of the world has volunteers that help. I dont see why this is such a big deal that they are asking if people want to volunteer. People would rather bitch online than pick up a shovel. No wonder there is only a WC in USA every 5 years. Its a shame.

dondon

Monkey
yup, thats why theres been no WC here. no one volunteers :rolleyes:
Dont take me literally. Its this attitude and fact that no one will do anything if they are not 100% motivated by the almighty dollar. Some of the responses are indicative of the general problems facing US racing and the apathy and negativity of some people just doesn't help the cause.

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
Dont take me literally. Its the attitude and fact that no one will do anything if they are not 100% motivated by the almighty dollar. Some of the responses are indicative of the general problems facing US racing and the apathy and negativity of some people just doesn't help the cause.
Sven, you really did not have to explain;)

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Didnt intend to come off complaining, more so concerned considering how much drama there has allegedly been already with the event. Just want to see the event succeed! I'd love to ge there and help out (and I'm sure lots of other northeast racers would as well) but Tuesday nights at 5:00 isnt really going to attract anyone other than locals in the community (ie: plattekill lifties)

A build weekend would make a bit more sense in my eyes. Throw in a BBQ, parking lot camping, movie showing, and it could be awesome to have an 'off' weekend with the local race scene all pitching together on this thing instead of an off the cuff 'hey if you want to show up with some tools thatd be cool'.

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
A build weekend would make a bit more sense in my eyes. Throw in a BBQ, parking lot camping, movie showing, and it could be awesome to have an 'off' weekend with the local race scene all pitching together on this thing instead of an off the cuff 'hey if you want to show up with some tools thatd be cool'.
Really don't want 130 people out there 'building'....the crew has to manageable..

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'd love to ge there and help out (and I'm sure lots of other northeast racers would as well) but Tuesday nights at 5:00 isnt really going to attract anyone other than locals in the community (ie: plattekill lifties)
yep, starting work at 5pm w/ around 3+ hours of light left, doesnt leave much for people driving up there on a Tuesday to work.

Really don't want 130 people out there 'building'....the crew has to manageable..
posting on Facebook will either get you no one turning out or a lot of people. if they want to keep it limited, continually posting on FB isnt the best idea

Ianpowell

Chimp
Jun 27, 2010
Didnt intend to come off complaining, more so concerned considering how much drama there has allegedly been already with the event. Just want to see the event succeed! I'd love to ge there and help out (and I'm sure lots of other northeast racers would as well) but Tuesday nights at 5:00 isnt really going to attract anyone other than locals in the community (ie: plattekill lifties)

they also have build days Saturday at 10am

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Three posts went up. One was a time adjustment and the other two were a double post. Four if you count a comment on a pic.

You think they would bring in a professional trail crew. This is starting to look very bleak.
They have a pro crew. People also like to help and be involved. Take a look at the platty trail build threads. Every year I randomly hear multiple people saying they wish they could do this stuff at diablo.

I once saw this guy dive out of a plane, turn 8 standing trees into a road gap launch, and then hit the ground skidding resulting in a perfectly sculpted berm with proper drainage right before it, coming to a halt right in front of a fire which he promptly put out.

Last edited:

Ianpowell

Chimp
Jun 27, 2010
Three posts went up. One was a time adjustment and the other two were a double post. Four if you count a comment on a pic.

They have a pro crew. People also like to help and be involved. Take a look at the platty trail build threads. Every year I randomly hear multiple people saying they wish they could do this stuff at diablo.

I once saw this guy dive out of a plane, turn 8 standing trees into a road gap launch, and then hit the ground skidding resulting in a perfectly sculpted berm with proper drainage right before it, coming to a halt right in front of a fire which he promptly put out.
:thumb: