Quantcast

Volvo Ocean Race (lots-o-pics)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Well usually I complain that there is nothing interesting going on in this sleepy town unless you are a boat person. While that remains true, yesterday's events were pretty cool even for the non-boat person. The Volvo Ocean Race came to port yesterday around 5pm, so my wife and I decided to ride down to see the race boats.

News Article:
(http://www.volvooceanrace.org/news/article/2006/may/sleepyhollow/index.aspx)

Here are the actual Race Boats: Unfortunately you had to be a VIP to check out the race boats up close so we didn't get a real good up close view.

Also on display were "The Pride of Baltimore" a reproduction of a 19th century schooner that fought in the war of 1812, and the "Schooner Virginia" a replica of the 1915 pilot schooner Virginia.

The Pride of Baltimore:

Neo-Pirates covering the sails:

Moon and Mast:

Winch detail:

That's a lot of freaking ropes:

Even More Ropes:

The Schooner Virginia

Obligitory Tourist Shot: (jdschall and wife Christine)

One thing I can never complain about, Sunsets over the Bay:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Didn't they switch the keeles (sp?) on them this year and effectively kicked up the overall max speed on thoes boats?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
stosh said:
Didn't they switch the keeles (sp?) on them this year and effectively kicked up the overall max speed on thoes boats?
All I know about boats is that they are pretty. I have no idea...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
jdschall said:
All I know about boats is that they are pretty. I have no idea...
You sucks at life!!

Actually I would be in your boat as well had I not listened to NPR this morning.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:

Yah, they were talking about it on NPR today. They have some sort of rotating keel? There is a 30% increase in speed this year. Usually its like 3% or something really low.

Did you get any dry-dock shots??

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tame Ape said:
Yah, they were talking about it on NPR today. They have some sort of rotating keel? There is a 30% increase in speed this year. Usually its like 3% or something really low.

God do you log onto RM via a 128 modem?

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC

They're painted orange as a rule too. Its easier to spot at sea if the boat tips over.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tame Ape said:
Good, I'll lose weight! 1000 calories a day.
To bad you still won't have anymore gears on your bike to help you beat me up the hills.

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
stosh said:
To bad you still won't have anymore gears on your bike to help you beat me up the hills.
Dude, I'll be lucky to even be alive! My power/weight ratio is going to be awesome. :hot:

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Tame Ape said:

Nope. I think that had them out of the water the week before in B'more but I didn't make it up there to check it out.

I guess that's because I sucks at life.