Quantcast

Volvo wagons any good?

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I'm thinking I may get one of these. maybe 10 years old or so, around $6,000.00

People keep saying they hear they are expensive to fix but what isn't?

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
pnj said:

They used to be renowned as very safe vehicles. I say go for it!

Although 6k is kinda expensive for a 10 year old car. I would think it should be more like ~4K or so.......

-S.S.-

bradical

Monkey
Dec 9, 2003
G-Vegas SC
I love mine. We've fit 3 bikes in the back of my 97 850 wagon.

I've had very few problems with mine, except is going to the dealer tomorrow becuase we got a notice saying some 94-97 850 wagons have developed cracks around the fuel tank and were leaking.

Go for it, they're great cars.

Steven

Monkey
Nov 8, 2003
North carolina
My mom has an 89 volvo 740 turbo, it has rite around 200,000 miles on it and runs strong. If you take care of them they will run forever.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
cars seem to be damm expensive up here.....

sh1t, I don't wanna car that leaks freakin gas...

I do like how large the inside area is though. so much storage space.

I want a 4 cyclinder one, those suck or what? I'm down w/ good gas milage. gas is at 2.60 right now....:nuts:

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Steven said:
If you take care of them they will run forever.
right, that's what they said about my Toyota wagon...(the one that is dead in my front drive.) :D

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Nothing pulls in the chicks like a Volvo 240 wagon

"Hey baby, want to start a family?"

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Zark said:
Nothing pulls in the chicks like a Volvo 240 wagon

"Hey baby, want to start a family?"
I'm married.... :monkey:

does that really work? :D

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
pnj said:
I'm married.... :monkey:

does that really work? :D
I don't know really, but I'd imagine it hits the maternal clock types in the right place :p

Have fun with your vulva, I mean Volvo. :D

Joking aside, they are good cars and safe. After hearing about what the driving conditions up there are like, it sounds like a damn good thing.

btw...listened to "Live After Death" last night. Maiden rocks! :devil:

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Im gonna be keeping my eyes open for an 850 GLT with a manual this summer to replace the golf. The only lame thing about the 850's is the turbo and R were never made with a manual, which is just staggering in how little sense it makes.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
pnj said:
cars seem to be damm expensive up here.....

sh1t, I don't wanna car that leaks freakin gas...

I do like how large the inside area is though. so much storage space.

I want a 4 cyclinder one, those suck or what? I'm down w/ good gas milage. gas is at 2.60 right now....:nuts:
Theres no such thing a a 4cyl 850, you'll have to go older to a 240. The 850/V70s are all Inline 5's, availible in 165hp naturally aspirated form or in a 220hp turbo.

pnj

Aug 14, 2002
seattle
TheInedibleHulk said:
Theres no such thing a a 4cyl 850, you'll have to go older to a 240. The 850/V70s are all Inline 5's, availible in 165hp naturally aspirated form or in a 220hp turbo.

I have no idea what you just said...

five cyl cars? that's nutty...

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
pnj said:
I have no idea what you just said...

five cyl cars? that's nutty...
Not all that crazy, Audi did it for a while, the new VW Jettas are inline 5's

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
Man, A good friend of mine had one.......That thing was sickness. You could not stop that thing. I would bet that we 4 wheeled in that baby more than most rednecks in lifted trucks have. Stuff doesn't break often, but when it does, it will cost more. Gets decent milage, and its quick

I'd sport one

D

d-sop

my mom has a 1991 740 station wagon. nothing special. been running since 91. i can put 3 bikes and have room for at least 1 other person.

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
My buddy has a late 70s early 80s 240 wagon. That thing is a tank. must have weighed about 5000lbs. We had 5 bikes and 4 dudes driving from Sequim (Olympic Peninsula) WA to Spokane for the beacon blast off, A little slow over the pass but reliable. He had, over time, also hit multiple deer and the car was never phased. Overall a decent car.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
pnj said:

volvo's kick ass. you can drive them for half a million miles, easy. they are cheap & easy to mantain too. but if you want a cup holder you are SOL.

I have a 91 740 with 125k miles on it & it has been the best car i have ever owned.

the 240 is an excellent car too. just stay away from model #'s with 6's in them.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
TheInedibleHulk said:
Im gonna be keeping my eyes open for an 850 GLT with a manual this summer to replace the golf. The only lame thing about the 850's is the turbo and R were never made with a manual, which is just staggering in how little sense it makes.

no way.
my mom had an 850 turbo when i was in high school and that chit was manual, and was a blast to drive...

it probably never made it to the US since 90% of the US drivers buy auto trannies...

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
ALEXIS_DH said:
no way.
my mom had an 850 turbo when i was in high school and that chit was manual, and was a blast to drive...

it probably never made it to the US since 90% of the US drivers buy auto trannies...
Oh yeah you can get them in canada and europe, and south america too I suppose. You could actaully get an AWD turbo 5 speed 850 wagon in Canada. For US cars you get to choose between an auto turbo or if youre lucky you can find a N/A manual, no awd for any of the 850's. For V70's you can get a fwd turbo manual (I found one in the US for sale in about 20 minutes of searching), or you can get an AWD turbo auto. Why does the US get all the lame ass cars?? Now we're starting to get some cool stuff but in the 90s all USDM cars sucked ass. I'm keeping my eyes open for a 98-99 V70R, they are all auto but 240hp would go a long way to making up for that. The only other car I'm interested in is a Subaru Legacy GT, but again those are like 95 percent autos. Damn american pansy ass drivers need to quit being a bunch of little bitches and learn how to shift :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:

I say go for it, i paid 4500 for a 92 240 Wagon a couple of years ago and dont regret it one bit, only thing ive had to do is replace the clutch and some bushings in the suspension but what can you expect after 225000 miles. 2 bikes on top, 2 bikes on a reciever rack and all the gear you could ever need inside.

Makes for a nice campsite too.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I went into Volvo shock when I first moved here, Charlottesville Va, every other car on the road is a blue Volvo 240 wagon. Get one, drop a smallblock V8 in it, get some larger tires on crappy steel wheels chop 4" off the top and paint it black. That would be one bad ass car. If not you'll just look like a old trustafarian.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
pnj said:
what kinda gas milage?
depends on how heavy my foot is :rolleyes:.. since we live in germany, and certain sections of the autobahn are free of limits, well you know the deal... it has an elec govenor that kicks in at 120 mph - almost 190 kmph... that s fast enough... often i travel at this speed... if i do mileage is pretty bad - around 15 - 16 mpg...

on the other hand, if i cruise at 70 mph or so i can get 28mpg...

i love this car...

i whole heartedly believe that volvo manufactures the best vehicles in the world... they are one of the most environmentaly friendly companies out there, prices are more than reasonable compared to other euro cars, the factory is an example of industry done correctly... open, airy and filled with hot blonde swedes :)... seroiusly... they are the only manufacturer worldwide that still has new parts for vehilces that are over 22 ( i believe) years old...

that has to say something... i put this beast up against an audi A4 1.8 turbo... both new... no comparison - the volvo shat on it in every department... except maybe the 'cool' factor... but i can live with that :) honestly i wanted to like the audi more, but it was a no brainer...

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
TheInedibleHulk said:
<snip> Damn american pansy ass drivers need to quit being a bunch of little bitches and learn how to shift :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:
I for one am glad most people drive autos. God forbid they have to *shift* in addition to putting on their makeup, smoking a cig, eating a Big Mac, and talking to their friends on their mobiles about nothing. :mumble:

-S.S.-

D

d-sop

TheInedibleHulk said:
Damn american pansy ass drivers need to quit being a bunch of little bitches and learn how to shift :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble: :mumble:
u think we enjoy automatics?
btw thats why theres a selection for 1st and 2nd gears to manually go to.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
d-sop said:
u think we enjoy automatics?
btw thats why theres a selection for 1st and 2nd gears to manually go to.
If americans wanted manuals, they would buy manuals and there wouldnt be so many automatics. It's called supply and demand. Also, the 1st and 2nd gear selection on an auto transmission is really useless, unless your goal is to slow down the shift between two poorly spaced gears. A sportshift that lets you sequencially select all four or five gears is a poor comprimise, but thoose are only availible on newer cars for the most part.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
TheInedibleHulk said:
If americans wanted manuals, they would buy manuals and there wouldnt be so many automatics. It's called supply and demand. Also, the 1st and 2nd gear selection on an auto transmission is really useless, unless your goal is to slow down the shift between two poorly spaced gears. A sportshift that lets you sequencially select all four or five gears is a poor comprimise, but thoose are only availible on newer cars for the most part.
I'm an American and I drive stick. It's fun, and well...it makes me feel like I'm going faster than I am. Plus it's 50x easier to drive on technical stuff and snow. :)

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
COmtbiker12 said:
I'm an American and I drive stick. It's fun, and well...it makes me feel like I'm going faster than I am. Plus it's 50x easier to drive on technical stuff and snow. :)

As am I, and if I had the money to buy a new car it wouldnt be an issue. It gets annoying when 90 percent of the used cars I'm interested in are autos. Who buys a subaru impreza 2.5RS in an auto??? completely ruins the point of the car.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
My mom has a '96 850 GLT. the thing rocks for highway driving. Not tons of HP, but it will get 25+mpg with the cruise control at 80mph. If you want a roof rack, make sure to get one with the factory rails. But a receiver rack is obviously better. No traction control makes it kind of lame in the snow htough.
She let my gf and I drive it from Boston to Snowshoe last summer. Saved us big $ in gas over my Pathfinder. Flat highway loaded with gear = 30mpg. We went 75-80 most of the way. I liked it so much I would consider getting one. It has just over 100K and so far no major repairs.
Check when Ford bough them. I heard that quality went down after that.