Quantcast

Voodoo Dambala

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I just saw one heck of a deal on the Voodoo Dambala in a complete. I used to own a Surly Karate Monkey, but I was wondering whether anyone has had any direct experience with one of the Voodoo frames or completes...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Price sure is good, but some reports state that quality control has diminished with the new frames, others rave about them. If you are a big voodoo fan - search ebay - there is an operation out of Arizona I think it is that is selling New Old Stock Dambalas with a nicer grade of tubing (853 maybe). Yeah tire clearance in the rear isn't as good as the newer frames, but I betcha the ride quality is better overall. Just something to consider.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
I love my Voodoo frame (26"), but I'm rockin' one of the old ('97) made in America frames.

What are the "new old" frames Mark? Is that when they were being made in Taiwan then shipped to San Jose, CA for QC and paint?

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I love my Voodoo frame (26"), but I'm rockin' one of the old ('97) made in America frames.

What are the "new old" frames Mark? Is that when they were being made in Taiwan then shipped to San Jose, CA for QC and paint?

The first generation Dambala 29er frames were made from Reynolds 853 steel and were more of a metallicy green paint - they had less rear tire clearance. But the 853 is a few steps up from the tubing now being used which must be some cromoly blend which they call Black Magic Tubing.

Sometimes you see the older 853 Dambalas pop up on ebay as New Old Stock frames.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
The first generation Dambala 29er frames were made from Reynolds 853 steel and were more of a metallicy green paint - they had less rear tire clearance. But the 853 is a few steps up from the tubing now being used which must be some cromoly blend which they call Black Magic Tubing.

Sometimes you see the older 853 Dambalas pop up on ebay as New Old Stock frames.
Gotcha. I thought you were referring to the 2nd stage of the life of the company. They went from completely American made to Taiwanese made/American QC and paint, to no longer available in America, to once again available but completely manufactured overseas. I guess the 2nd stage was a bit early for 29ers.