Quantcast

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Seriously?

Pretty sure that's NOT what they had in mind when the penned out the Constitution. College degree or education does NOT an effective leader make.
I would argue that education DOES an effective leader make. I would also argue that critical reasoning skills acquired, developed, and honed in a formal higher education setting is also key. I will grant you that life experience counts for a great deal so perhaps I did over step my bounds a bit.

I am a part of the so called educational elite and hold a terminal degree so perhaps I am a bit biased, but I'll always pick a canidate with higher educational credentials over a less educated canidate. I guess I'm snob that way.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I don't want a dumb sh1t as VP or as pres. We've had a dumb sh1t in office for 8 years and look where we are.

Get the bible thumping fvcktards out before the New Dark Ages overtake us all. There is still time.

Give me an arrogant elitist any day.
Well said.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
How about knowing what the current admin's doctrine is or being able to list what magazines you read on a regular basis. You know, BASIC sh1t.
So, putting aside your obvious hate of Palin, go back and understand that the basic question I'm asking is not what makes HER qualified to be VP but how do we determine exactly what qualifications a person needs to be "qualified".

So you're ok with amending the Constitution to add on the requirement to have to know magazines read?

The bigger picture...the bigger picture. This election has drudged up the talk of what's considered "qualified". Other than everyone's opinion, the only hard set qualification is what's in the Constitution. Look past your hate of Palin and think seriously about what should be required of a potential President or VP candidate.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I am a part of the so called educational elite and hold a terminal degree so perhaps I am a bit biased, but I'll always pick a canidate with higher educational credentials over a less educated canidate. I guess I'm snob that way.

From wikipedia:

Palin attended several colleges and universities. In 1982, she enrolled at Hawaii Pacific College but left after her first semester. She transferred to North Idaho community college, where she spent two semesters as a general studies major. From there, she transferred to the University of Idaho for two semesters.[11][12] During this time Palin won the Miss Wasilla Pageant beauty contest,[13][14] then finished third (second runner-up) in the Miss Alaska pageant,[15][16] at which she won a college scholarship and the "Miss Congeniality" award.[17] She then left the University of Idaho and attended Matanuska-Susitna community college in Alaska for one term. The next year she returned to the University of Idaho where she spent three semesters completing her Bachelor of Science degree in communications-journalism, graduating in 1987.[11][12]

In 1988, she worked as a sports reporter for KTUU-TV and KTVA-TV in Anchorage, Alaska,[18] and for the Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman as a sports reporter.[19] She also helped in her husband’s commercial fishing family business.[20]

Biden attended the Archmere Academy in Claymont,[8] where he was athletically, not academically, oriented[9] and a natural leader among the students.[7] He graduated in 1961.[8]

Biden attended the University of Delaware in Newark,[10] where by his own later description he was a lazy student.[11] He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts with a double major in history and political science in 1965,[2] ranked 506th of 688 in his class.[12]

He went on to receive his Juris Doctor from Syracuse University College of Law in 1968,[10] where by his own description he again underperformed and ranked 76th of 85 students.[11][13] During his first year there, he was accused of having plagiarized 5 of 15 pages of a law review article. Biden said it was inadvertent due to his not knowing the proper rules of citation, and Biden was permitted to retake the course after receiving a grade of F, which was subsequently dropped from his record.[13] (The issue came up in 1987 during Biden's presidential campaign, and later that year the Delaware Supreme Court's Board of Professional Responsibility cleared Biden of the plagiarism charges regarding his standing as a lawyer, saying Biden had "not violated any rules".)[14] Biden was admitted to the Delaware Bar in 1969.[10]

Biden received five student draft deferments during this period, with the first coming in late 1963 and the last in early 1968, at the peak of the Vietnam War.[15] In April 1968, he was reclassified by the Selective Service System as not available for service due to having had asthma as a teenager.[15] Biden was not a part of the anti-Vietnam War movement; he would later say that at the time he was preoccupied with marriage and law school, and that he "wore sports coats ... not tie-dyed".[16]

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I would argue that education DOES an effective leader make. I would also argue that critical reasoning skills acquired, developed, and honed in a formal higher education setting is also key. I will grant you that life experience counts for a great deal so perhaps I did over step my bounds a bit.

I agree with you on the higher education adding a tremendous amount to life experiences, I was just questioning whether it should be a sole qualifier or dis qualifier to run for a national office.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
So you're ok with amending the Constitution to add on the requirement to have to know magazines read?
I have no problem amending the constitution to include basic requirements for VP and pres. The magazine comment was an example.

A simple SAT or at least GED style test. Maybe a multiple choice plus a short essay. Make sure the candidate has COMMON KNOWLEDGE of the USA and the world, not a narrow Christian podunk town view.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I agree with you on the higher education adding a tremendous amount to life experiences, I was just questioning whether it should be a sole qualifier or dis qualifier to run for a national office.
It isn't. Maybe it should be?

Here is why I think Palin is not qualified. I don't want this representing my country:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lj3iNxZ8Dww&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lj3iNxZ8Dww&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stunning resemblence, wouldn't you say?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Seriously?

Pretty sure that's NOT what they had in mind when the penned out the Constitution. College degree or education does NOT an effective leader make.
I'm no expert, but I think the intent of the constitution in this regard is that the common man can be involved in governing.

The US and the world was a way different place back then.

Education is vital to success in the modern world. Isn't that what we've all heard growing up ? Get good grades in High School, get into a good college so you can get a good job.

An education is much more than books and grades, it's the foundation for who you are. Ideologies, view points and understanding of your environment are greatly expanded upon by education. The better quality of education you have the better off you are.

dante

Unabomber
Feb 13, 2004
looking for classic NE singletrack
Most of us on here would agree that Palin is grossly under qualified to be VP. However her non-answer tactics are executed in such a way that they appear to be valid responses to the average American.
I was surprised when she had to resort to a non-answer to the question "what magazines or newspapers do you read?" It's almost like she's been programmed to give a non-answer to anything and everything, so the easier the question (see above), the harder time she has answering it.

Ifill - "So, Sarah, what's your favorite color?"
Palin - "You know, um, that, uh, media elite, second guess, and ummm... go Alaska!"

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
I'm no expert, but I think the intent of the constitution in this regard is that the common man can be involved in governing.

The US and the world was a way different place back then.

Education is vital to success in the modern world. Isn't that what we've all heard growing up ? Get good grades in High School, get into a good college so you can get a good job.

An education is much more than books and grades, it's the foundation for who you are. Ideologies, view points and understanding of your environment are greatly expanded upon by education. The better quality of education you have the better off you are.

I agree. Especially when it comes to education/experience outside the classroom as well book smart vs people smart balance and being able to apply what you have learned from that fancy college.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
an arrogant elitist is most likely to also be a multi-culturist. b/c of this, europe, for all its enlightenment, is a few minutes closer to armageddon than you think
Are you referring to the myth of a Muslim takeover of Europe?

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Are you referring to the myth of a Muslim takeover of Europe?
now why would you suggest such a thing?

i'm referring to the extent to which extremist views are validated just b/c they have the numbers to make a significant plurality.

good to see here on this forum christianity & conservatism are kept in check.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
We "validate" the Evangelicals, they have extremist views are validated just because they have the numbers to make a significant plurality.

It is a matter of allowing free speech and freedom of association, not validating their ideas. I've heard a lot of people talking about Muslims taking over Europe, and I wanted to make sure that it wasn't what you were referring to.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
clearly, we will have differing evaluations as to the extent to which muslim extremists are conforming/confronting traditional europe; and that's all well & good.

history, however, has shown us europe has a rich history in backlash, so this too will be resolved. and b/c these particular muslims are brown, we'll just sit idly by during the next "market correction"

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
It is about facts and figures.

4% of the population is Muslim, and Muslim birth rates are dropping faster than native European birth rates. In countries that are the most multicultural, Muslim immigrants are seeing the biggest drop in birth rates. For example, in Germany, which has one of the longest standing Muslim immigrant populations, the rate has fallen to 1.9 children from 4.4 in 1970. Turks in Switzerland also have 1.9, while those in the Netherlands have 1.6, fewer than white British people do. Muslim women in France have 2.2 children, barely more than non-Muslim women there, and that number is falling.

The most religious countries are the ones with the biggest drop in birth rates, if anything, they are conforming better to secular multicultural societies than the highly religious societies of Poland and Italy.

edit: Europe once faced a genuine fundamentalist threat. From 1345 to 1750, the church, a murderous, terrorist, woman-hating force, seized considerable power. The Enlightenment took care of the church, not nationalism and intolerance

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
Absolutely! But again, how can you take something subjective and turn it into a metric for determining qualification?

Until we amend the Constitution to include a hard list of requirements, it's a moot point.
Really? It's debatable?? Really? It's up for discussion?

Or were you referring to the popular 9th (all-be-it obsolete) definition of the word??

wat?

You've watched the interviews and commented on them yourself. You really want to belabor this point more??!!?

Great.

Edit: This was before X3 clarified his position....:redface:

Last edited:

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
It is about facts and figures.

4% of the population is Muslim, and Muslim birth rates are dropping faster than native European birth rates. In countries that are the most multicultural, Muslim immigrants are seeing the biggest drop in birth rates. For example, in Germany, which has one of the longest standing Muslim immigrant populations, the rate has fallen to 1.9 children from 4.4 in 1970. Turks in Switzerland also have 1.9, while those in the Netherlands have 1.6, fewer than white British people do. Muslim women in France have 2.2 children, barely more than non-Muslim women there, and that number is falling.

The most religious countries are the ones with the biggest drop in birth rates, if anything, they are conforming better to secular multicultural societies than the highly religious societies of Poland and Italy.

edit: Europe once faced a genuine fundamentalist threat. From 1345 to 1750, the church, a murderous, terrorist, woman-hating force, seized considerable power. The Enlightenment took care of the church, not nationalism and intolerance
Of course the birth rates are dropping, all the youth are blowing themselves up for allah.

When I lived in NL, the biggest gripe I heard was that the muslims were not assimilating into dutch culture (can't blame them there). The angst wasn't just about the immigration per se, but rather the fact that refused to become a part of their host country.

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
Of course the birth rates are dropping, all the youth are blowing themselves up for allah.

When I lived in NL, the biggest gripe I heard was that the muslims were not assimilating into dutch culture (can't blame them there). The angst wasn't just about the immigration per se, but rather the fact that refused to become a part of their host country.
That's the case with every immigrant population, it was the same issue with the Germans, Irish, and Chinese in the U.S. It just seems silly that history is repeating itself so blatantly, and people don't notice.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
That's the case with every immigrant population, it was the same issue with the Germans, Irish, and Chinese in the U.S. It just seems silly that history is repeating itself so blatantly, and people don't notice.
I don't know, my german grandparents happily embraced the american way, as did my wifes italian and irish grandparents.

retaining some of your native culture (food, language etc) is different that railing against your host society (which the muslims in NL did both vocally and physically).

Samirol

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2008
I don't know, my german grandparents happily embraced the american way, as did my wifes italian and irish grandparents.

retaining some of your native culture (food, language etc) is different that railing against your host society (which the muslims in NL did both vocally and physically).
There were many German communities where most of the population spoke only German. Also, since many of the immigrants were Catholic, there was violence against Protestant churches by immigrants.

Many do what you said above, retain part of their home culture and part of the new culture, but they don't get the same press coverage.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
You don't need a ****ing constitutional amendment to want your VP and Pres to have done *something* to demonstrate
- a knowledge of their country and their world
- an ability to think critically and make well-informed decisions
- an ability to inspire people, especially collaboration between unlike groups

All of the above are completely agnostic to political or moral stance, but if you don't hold your candidates to that, you're a ****ing idiot asking to be ****ed for 8 more years. **** it.

Also, let's face it - we lucked the **** out with Lincoln. The stars aligned... he never should have been president, he never should have been good as a president, and he ended up being great. I for one am not willing to pray that Lincoln-lightening strikes again.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
You don't need a ****ing constitutional amendment to want your VP and Pres to have done *something* to demonstrate
- a knowledge of their country and their world
- an ability to think critically and make well-informed decisions
- an ability to inspire people, especially collaboration between unlike groups

All of the above are completely agnostic to political or moral stance, but if you don't hold your candidates to that, you're a ****ing idiot asking to be ****ed for 8 more years. **** it.

Also, let's face it - we lucked the **** out with Lincoln. The stars aligned... he never should have been president, he never should have been good as a president, and he ended up being great. I for one am not willing to pray that Lincoln-lightening strikes again.
I put Lincoln-logs in the toilet every morn....How hard would it be to generate lightening outta that??? Really......

ridiculous

Turbo Monkey
Jan 18, 2005
MD / NoVA
" not used to the ways you guys operate in washington" wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwww not the words i would have used.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
" not used to the ways you guys operate in washington" wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwww not the words i would have used.
yeah, i used to date this girl who like to tell me it was her first time.

it was sexy the first few times