Quantcast

VPP design and broken chains

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
VPP design and broken chains

Was at Platty today and saw a racer peddle his Intense 951 down the start gate for a practice run. He was peddling hard and about forty feet from the gate when his chain broke. He wiped out pretty hard. Anyone else have this happen to them? Is the VPP design more prone to this sort of thing?

Last edited:

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
I had an Uzzi VPX, it went thru chains pretty fast. I think it was a combination of a bad chainline with rearward axle path. I've never had chains wear out so fast on any other bike.

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
I have a VPP frame and never had a problem with chains. Derailleurs and drop outs are another story. I learned chain length is important, too short and the derailleur gets pulled into the cassette under bottom out. As long as chain length is correct everything should be good. I haven't had a problem since.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I had an Uzzi VPX, it went thru chains pretty fast. I think it was a combination of a bad chainline with rearward axle path. I've never had chains wear out so fast on any other bike.
sounds like user error to me. 4 years on a VPX and never broke a chain because of the suspension and or chainline.

951's have barely any rearward travel at all. Not the frame.
ding ding

davec113

Monkey
May 24, 2009
sounds like user error to me. 4 years on a VPX and never broke a chain because of the suspension and or chainline.
User error on the chainline? How many ways are there to attach a crankset and hub to a frame? And, I am aware of the spacers that go between the bb and frame. The VPX comes with either 135 or 150 mm dropouts, how can both work out ok? Well, they don't and the 135mm option has a compromised chainline.

A friend of mine had a VPX with a 150mm rear end, that had a normal chainline. But converting from 135 to 150 is expensive, and the frame's rear end is as flexy as swiss cheese so not worth the cash...

I wish i was told by the shop that sold it to me to order the 150mm dropouts to begin with.

Anyway, just my experience. That bike went thru chains twice a year, and every other bike I've ever owned does not.

Last edited: