- if aluminum, use low temp aluminum brazing rods
- if steel, use a mig or tig
Install with new gasket or silicone

JB WELD OR EPOXY = :disgust1::disgust1:

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
seriously...epoxy an oil pain!!...step away from the vehicle and get a "qualified" person to look it at...and no way it should cost $500 for an oil pan!!...D

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
the pan was fine with epoxy once before, i will do it again. as for a "qualified person" my "mechanic" who overlooks everything i do has done it once before so thats what will get done this time. The oil pan costs ~ $200. If you dont believe me look up an oil pan for a year 2000 vw jetta with a vr6. (2.8 12valve)

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
ok whatever ever works for you...just trying to save you some future problems...oh and I'm sure you could find your oil pan for a lot less than $200...have you even tried looking at salvage yards?...D

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Just did a similar job on a MBZ S600. Customer thought it was a straight shot from her parking space to the driveway.... she forgot about the parking bumpers. New oil pan was 580 + Labor.

I removed the drain plug and let it drain for 2 days. Flushed the bottom of the pan with brake parts cleaner and let sit for 2 hours. Used a propane torch and a low temp aluminum brazing rod. Ground the welds smooth and now it's dry as a bone. $100 out the door.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
ok whatever ever works for you...just trying to save you some future problems...oh and I'm sure you could find your oil pan for a lot less than $200...have you even tried looking at salvage yards?...D
Some people like throwing money away.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
any large salvage yard will pull an engine if it is any good, they aren't about to rip down an engine and sell each piece, they can get more money selling the whole thing.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
any large salvage yard will pull an engine if it is any good, they aren't about to rip down an engine and sell each piece, they can get more money selling the whole thing.
must just be a VW thing because as far as Japanese cars...salvage yards make a lot more selling individual parts off an engine vs. the whole thing..D

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Used pans on the vortex go for about $60.

Jesus, epoxy? WTF is wrong with you? Weld it or get a new one. I have a VR6 in my garage with a good oilpan and a jacked block, but it's teh subject of a running lawsuit and can't really be taken apart. Mebbe. I will consult with my attorney.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
I have a VR6 in my garage with a good oilpan and a jacked block, but it's teh subject of a running lawsuit and can't really be taken apart. Mebbe. I will consult with my attorney.
that **** is still going on? i hope it's going in your favor.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
You know you could save more money if you just bought a pack of chewing gum instead of buying epoxy.

There, now you've gone from $500 to $0.50.
spackle seems to be a pretty damn good adhesive. after all, it does enable sheets to stick to a person's back if left untouched for the night... :p

not to mention it's free.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
wife just told me she went to fuel up the vr6 (which takes hi-octane) but it was one of these stations that only sold low & mid-grade.

so she got the mid-grade b/c it was "close enough".

i'm setting her up an acct here so she can get neg repped & banned.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
wife just told me she went to fuel up the vr6 (which takes hi-octane) but it was one of these stations that only sold low & mid-grade.

so she got the mid-grade b/c it was "close enough".

i'm setting her up an acct here so she can get neg repped & banned.
lulz

Mid-grade in a VR6 is fine. At low grade the ECU will pull mad timing and it will run poorly with less power and reduced MPG (like the VR6 is so great on fuel to begin with...17mpg city FTL).

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
i run shell regular in my vr all the time no problems. I go to exon and get mid grade when i cant get shell. My dad (1st owner of the car) always ran highest grade in it. I dont feel any difference between running shell highest octane for a month then switching to regular. Im getting ~ 22mpg with it.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
i run shell regular in my vr all the time no problems. I go to exon and get mid grade when i cant get shell. My dad (1st owner of the car) always ran highest grade in it. I dont feel any difference between running shell highest octane for a month then switching to regular. Im getting ~ 22mpg with it.
Were you dropped as a child? Seriously, have you though about the fact that an engine rebuild is $2k+?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
in the owners manual of the car it recommends the regular octane. How will this lead to me needing to rebuild my engine? And 2k for an engine rebuild is dumb if i ever was to "rebuild" it, i would just get a 24v from the junk yard for ~3k with a few miles on it. My car is an economy jetta. No stupid fancy rims or leather seats. Its a 5 speed manual, the trans will never go bad unless some idiot drives it. The car was used by my dad as a commuter car from november 2000 till november 2005. Then it sat for a while, we would drive it a few miles once in a while just to make sure it wouldnt gunk up. I started driving it when he gave it to me with 186,000 miles on it last october. When he owned it he didnt have a flat tire, or any accidents except for cracking the oil pan on my dirt driveway. I crashed it once in january did a little damage then cracked my oil pan that is now fixed. The car has done what it was bought to do, its now doing more then my dad thought it would do. In october he is giving me his 2006 audi A4. The car already has 90k miles on it.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Were you dropped as a child? Seriously, have you though about the fact that an engine rebuild is $2k+?
I wait for the day he buys off-brand gas that's advertised as 87, or his ECU craps itself and he pushes a rod through the block.

Then he'll post a thread crying about how a crate engine is $4k from der vaterland.

10.5:1 compression ratio+low-grade fuel is a recipe for catastrophic failure.

Seriously. I've known hamsters with more intelligence.

Oooh! Ninja Post!

in the owners manual of the car it recommends the regular octane. How will this lead to me needing to rebuild my engine? And 2k for an engine rebuild is dumb if i ever was to "rebuild" it, i would just get a 24v from the junk yard for ~3k with a few miles on it. My car is an economy jetta. No stupid fancy rims or leather seats. Its a 5 speed manual, the trans will never go bad unless some idiot drives it. The car was used by my dad as a commuter car from november 2000 till november 2005. Then it sat for a while, we would drive it a few miles once in a while just to make sure it wouldnt gunk up. I started driving it when he gave it to me with 186,000 miles on it last october. When he owned it he didnt have a flat tire, or any accidents except for cracking the oil pan on my dirt driveway. I crashed it once in january did a little damage then cracked my oil pan that is now fixed. The car has done what it was bought to do, its now doing more then my dad thought it would do. In october he is giving me his 2006 audi A4. The car already has 90k miles on it.
Wrong. If you look inside your fuel door, it will say "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY".

Ten bucks you're still on the original timing chains, too...I doubt you could figure out how to wire up a 24v engine, let alone find one on your own.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
It's true...

Addendum: A VR6 A chassis is NOT an economy car. It is a semi-sporty compact with a big engine with a penchant for devouring fuel. Or, as I like to put it, a beautiful engine in a sh!t chassis. Please don't ruin it with low octane gas. Enough have already suffered (am currently looking, teary eyed, at the engine in my garage) at the hands of idiots.

At the bare minimum, have you stuck a cone filter on it to listen to it sing?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I'm going to miss putting cheap gas in my coupe once I put the new VR6 in it.

Ten bucks you're still on the original timing chains, too...I doubt you could figure out how to wire up a 24v engine, let alone find one on your own.
It's the guides you have to worry about.

My Passat won't stay together long enough before I can see if it makes it to 200,000.

Monkey
the trans will never go bad unless some idiot drives it.
looking at the clock, any minute now....

I crashed it once in january did a little damage then cracked my oil pan that is now fixed. The car has done what it was bought to do, its now doing more then my dad thought it would do. In october he is giving me his 2006 audi A4. The car already has 90k miles on it.
http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194473

so you did more damage in three months than your dad did in five years.:monkey:

so get my jetta today, first time out found my favourite twisty road. its low traffic and oodles of fun. so i let loose in my jetta. did a dowhill into a flat turn to fast and road a snowbank like a wallride. missed a telephone pole by maybe a foot and cracked the front bumper of the car. waiting for my friend in a pickup with a toe bar he was literaly two seconds away when a cop pulls up. 2 point ticket for careless driving. my parents arent happy

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
... The oil pan costs ~ $200. If you dont believe me look up an oil pan for a year 2000 vw jetta with a vr6. (2.8 12valve)
in the owners manual of the car it recommends the regular octane. How will this lead to me needing to rebuild my engine? And 2k for an engine rebuild is dumb if i ever was to "rebuild" it, i would just get a 24v from the junk yard for ~3k with a few miles on it. My car is an economy jetta. No stupid fancy rims or leather seats. Its a 5 speed manual, the trans will never go bad unless some idiot drives it. The car was used by my dad as a commuter car from november 2000 till november 2005. .....
First you say it's a VR6, now you call it an economy jetta... which is it? Are you sure it's not a Yugo?

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
my dad liked the vr because it had a timing chain over a belt, and that it had a bigger engine. he got no extras in the car. the dealer gave him a free 6 cd changer in the trunk.