Quantcast

VW's trunk lights suck...

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Well, the trunk light in my VW has always been dim and under-powered and when it burnt out last night it was the last straw... Today I went to autozone and bought two 9 inch red neon tubes, wired them up to the microswitch in the trunk latch, mounted them in a location where you can't see them and removed the stock bulb. They put off a nice red glow, good lighting, and for $20 I'm happy with it. Pics to follow tomorrow night.

~Matt

P.S Anyone put neon tubes in the foot wells? How do you like them?

Redrum

Chimp
Jan 18, 2008
LV...the strip
we used to install neons for all the ricers/import cars..
red is the best light for your eyes at night.
just make sure you keep them high enough away from your feet and from getting wet

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
Poor, poor GTI. Getting neon tubes stuck in all of the places it doesn't want them. I can see in the hatch but I would keep them out of everywhere else. JMO of course.
I am NOT putting them underneath... thats to rice for this poor little German car. I think foot wells would look good just having a nice little abient glow...

stinkyboy

Plastic Santa
Jan 6, 2005
¡Phoenix!
As an owner of several VW vehicles over time this thread title could do without the words "trunk" and "lights".

I would strangle a car salesman for a new R32 though...

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
VW's electrical systems suck. I have gone through 2 sets of headlight bulbs, a taillight bulb, a battery, and the little led that lights up the temperature knobs.... Thank god it goes *pshhh* when I take my foot off of the gas.

(And I was saying keep the lights out of the footwells. Haha)

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
VW's electrical systems suck. I have gone through 2 sets of headlight bulbs, a taillight bulb, a battery, and the little led that lights up the temperature knobs.... Thank god it goes *pshhh* when I take my foot off of the gas.

(And I was saying keep the lights out of the footwells. Haha)
Yep. Bosch sucks. Hence, German cars=****ty electronics.

Fvck Bosch.

I need a new tail light bulb.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
It now has smoked corner markers (the ambers are barely visible in this picture) and has been de-badged. Looks much cleaner.
Nice. Ever think of getting the rims painted black?

Mine:

So far has nothing but the trunk neon. Its getting Chipped, Deep tint windows, Tinted rear lights, lowered [coil-overs], and OZ-Racing wheels in black. And smoked side markers, and under-mirrior markers.

Sep 20, 2007
Champaign, IL
I have thought about it. I am pretty sure that I am not going to put any more time or money into it though. I am about done with FWD I think. It has an intake, diverter valve, chip.... nothing major. It's a fun car and will probably remain a bike hauler for the most part. I want to start saving and look towards something quick though. (IS300 with a 2JZ-GTE swap, Supra, maybe an R32 Twin Turbo.... really not sure. Hell I wouldn't even mind building a small truck like a Dakota R/T. For some reason I always liked those.)

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
I have thought about it. I am pretty sure that I am not going to put any more time or money into it though. I am about done with FWD I think. It has an intake, diverter valve, chip.... nothing major. It's a fun car and will probably remain a bike hauler for the most part. I want to start saving and look towards something quick though. (IS300 with a 2JZ-GTE swap, Supra, maybe an R32 Twin Turbo.... really not sure. Hell I wouldn't even mind building a small truck like a Dakota R/T. For some reason I always liked those.)
An R32 Supercharged would be nuts... I've always wanted to take a older Lancer and drop a 3.2 l V 6 twin turbo in it... but I dont think they are long enough under the hood... Lol.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
i am putting blue lights in the foot wells soon that same colour as the numbers on my gauge

i just ordered hid lights from oznium 6000k.
I've seen lots of people doing that, I'm matching the needles with the red. And my Grill Stripe/ Fast's smile.

[P.S: Your not allowed to drive in ohio. Even though you drive a VW]

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i am putting blue lights in the foot wells soon that same colour as the numbers on my gauge

i just ordered hid lights from oznium 6000k.
you need to be shot. aftermarket HID kits are ILLEGAL not to mention dangerous and highly annoying.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
you need to be shot. aftermarket HID kits are ILLEGAL not to mention dangerous and highly annoying.
What he said.

The next ****head driving behind me with aftermarket HIDs is getting an RPG through the front glass.

PSP is just a tarted-up (aka: white) riceboi, like most VW "enthusiasts".

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I would strangle a car salesman for a new R32 though...
I too would strangle a car salesman. For just about any reason though. Good or bad. Come to think of it, I probably wouldn't even need a reason, I just think it should be a sport. I put them in the same category as defense lawyers for child molesters.

As the owner of a VW though, I agree that the electronics in this car are nothing short of pure crap. Gotta remember that these things are assembled in Me-hi-ko....

It's been great other than annoying little electrical errors however. Anyone in Socal need a turbocharged Jetta??

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Haha... it's not just the trunk light. My Jetta blew every bulb at least once, including interior bulbs. And most of those bulbs blew several times... I went through like 5 tail light bulbs on the driver side in a matter of 5 years.

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
http://www.oznium.com/hid

they are real hid lights. i live in the country, not many cars where i drive, so its not really that much of an issue.
Yeah... but none the less illegal.

http://www.oznium.com/hid said:
Remember, keep your stock bulbs on hand. Our special bulbs are only sold for use at car shows and on non-public roads. The use of after-market HID headlights on public roads is illegal. Basically, they're just too cool for normal use. Watch our HID video to see what we're talking about!

V-Dub GTI

Monkey
Jun 11, 2006
blah!
I too would strangle a car salesman. For just about any reason though. Good or bad. Come to think of it, I probably wouldn't even need a reason, I just think it should be a sport. I put them in the same category as defense lawyers for child molesters.

As the owner of a VW though, I agree that the electronics in this car are nothing short of pure crap. Gotta remember that these things are assembled in Me-hi-ko....

It's been great other than annoying little electrical errors however. Anyone in Socal need a turbocharged Jetta??

Mine was assembled in Germany thank you.