Quantcast

Wa. State Championships

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
Just got word... The three Fluidride Cup events that are help in Port Angeles, Wa. this year are oficially the Wa state championship mini-series.
State Champions will be awarded by the best overall finishes of the three PA Fluidride Cups. Fluidride cup # 2 being this weekend is your second chance to obtain State Champ series points, and FRCup # 4 in August will be the State Champ series final. Champions will be awarded on site at the # 4 awards cerimony.

Best of luck to you all, and sorry about the late notice!

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
This was actually done on the reccomendation of USAC.
I was wondering the same thing. Didn't realize it was possible to do so.
USAC prefers to award St. Championships to a series of events, as it gives the participants a higher national ranking, and more than one chance to qualify for National Champs.

Wierd considering the MTX National champs is at the Chile Challenge on the 24th of May, months before the 3rd State championship series race. I don't even want to open this can of worms by asking why it is setup like this. I just said thank you for the title of State Champs.

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
I was meaning to mention to you this weekend that USACycling has yet to post the results of the last race on their site. This could be useful for people trying to qualify for national championships.

LeroyJenkins

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
I mentioned this point about USAC not posting results on the 12th of April in the original Fluidride race thread.

LeroyJenkins

Chimp
Feb 17, 2008
The USAC qualification explanation seems a little confusing.

The Fluidride series will not be finalized by the Nationals event in July, so according to to USAC it appears the ONLY the currently top seeded individual in each category is eligible to attend. However, if the series or one day event is completed then the top 15 in each category can compete.

Am I interpreting that correctly?

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
Ok so top 15 from each category, from each event in State Champ series qualifies for Nat Champs. Straight from the horses mouth.
The 3rd State champ FRC event in August will qualify you for 2009 Nat Champs.

Hope this clears things up a bit.

The USAC qualification explanation seems a little confusing.

The Fluidride series will not be finalized by the Nationals event in July, so according to to USAC it appears the ONLY the currently top seeded individual in each category is eligible to attend. However, if the series or one day event is completed then the top 15 in each category can compete.

Am I interpreting that correctly?

SeaPig

Monkey
Sep 20, 2005
Seattle
Ok so top 15 from each category, from each event in State Champ series qualifies for Nat Champs. Straight from the horses mouth.

Thanks for this.

By the way. Fluidride Race Camp Helmet Cams are going up on Virtual Descent.com I have uploaded about half of them and the rest will be up by tomorrow sometime. It's really cool to see all the different lines that people are taking both on the Sport and Expert courses.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Thats really cool they got involved!

kinda random can anyone give me advice on what class to race? I have not been riding DH very long, raced beginner class and got 3rd. 10 seconds behind 2nd and would have placed 10-15th in sport. I know you have to get certain placing in sport a number of times to move up to expert (from what I have been told) so does the same thing apply to beginner? Am I sandbagging to race the same class after 1 day on my bike since the last race? I know people in sport who crashed and still beat my time lol.

Competing for the WA mini series would be cool. I just don't know how some of these things go.

-FLUIDRIDE-

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
When applying for the st. champs with USAC you have the option to offer a one day championship race, or if your race is part of a series, you can offer a "series"championship.
For some reason USAC leans toward promoters offering the series championship vs a one day. The outcome is still the same, the titles are still the same in the end. Except riders get three chances to qualify for National Champs. Riders get more points, which equals a better ranking.
We are the Wa. state championship. There is only one per state, per year. Whether it's a one day event or a series of events.
Ours just happens to be a series championship format.

T.Rex

Monkey
Sep 6, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Thats really cool they got involved!

kinda random can anyone give me advice on what class to race? I have not been riding DH very long, raced beginner class and got 3rd. 10 seconds behind 2nd and would have placed 10-15th in sport. I know you have to get certain placing in sport a number of times to move up to expert (from what I have been told) so does the same thing apply to beginner? Am I sandbagging to race the same class after 1 day on my bike since the last race? I know people in sport who crashed and still beat my time lol.

Competing for the WA mini series would be cool. I just don't know how some of these things go.
Hey, that's my line, I think you went off the trail twice and still finished waaaaaaay ahead:clapping:

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Hey, that's my line, I think you went off the trail twice and still finished waaaaaaay ahead:clapping:
HAHA yah I hear that. Friends racing sport killed me by a huge margin and then they ad in "oh but I fell" :D

I think I know what to do, Can't wait for the weekend and to get some runs in on Saturday.

SnowboardinWA

Monkey
Feb 23, 2007
Tacoma, WA
I understand Minor's frustration with Fluidride/Ods getting the "State Championship title". I hope in years to come Beacon, Port Angeles, and Stevens Pass will be able to get together and have a State Championship that includes all 3 places with the final being at Stevens. Someday..... Someday.....

stu87155

Chimp
May 12, 2008
Port Townsend, WA
So, I'm in a similar position as DesuL. FC #1 & 2 were my first DH races, and I placed 1st and 2nd respectively in Beginner +40. I was considering moving up to Sport where I'd have a little more competition, though I bet my discs where a little too hot! But, should I finish off the season in Beginner? What is the mini series anyway? Should I stay where I am and try for that?

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
So, I'm in a similar position as DesuL. FC #1 & 2 were my first DH races, and I placed 1st and 2nd respectively in Beginner +40. I was considering moving up to Sport where I'd have a little more competition, though I bet my discs where a little too hot! But, should I finish off the season in Beginner? What is the mini series anyway? Should I stay where I am and try for that?
Compare your time to the Sport times. Are you going to get caught a ruin somebody else's run? If the answer is NO, then you can move up.

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
I was questioning running beginner again this race but after some thought I think that as this is my first year of DH riding (and mtn biking in 10 or so years) that this year I am a beginner untill I can beat everyone in the class by a large margin. This past race I didn't get my ass handed to me but placed 6th with a good clean run (crashed a few times in practice once mechanical once trying to grow balls) I am glad I stayed in my class and had competitive times and others to race against. Some friends I made at the last race and I had a good time having someone to "race against".

A friend who has been racing for a while put it best when He said "you will just know when your ready to move up" I think this is true and you will not question when it is time. I think the first time I got lucky on a course I had run before, on a new course with more pedalling I did not do so well.

Keep competition alive and I would say stay in your class so you can compete for the state title.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle

So what does this mean for the nationals for this season? Do the championships from last year dictate who is qualified to race nationals this year?

What if a racer is in one class this season, places high enough to race in the nationals for 2009, and then upgrades next season when they are qualified to race nationals?

Also, Beacon is listed as the third dh qualifier...is that accurate?
http://www.usacycling.org/events/state.php?state=WA