Quantcast

***Wacky Wednesderp GMT***

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Ah, killing for killing's sake...
No, there is reason
Those things (well, their burrows) are hell on livestock.
There are similar excuses for skunks, crows, pigeons, coy dogs, porcupines, woodchucks, wolves, desert rats... all bullshit.
Prairie dogs destroy workable fields, and bring in badgers. The holes break cattles legs, and horses too.
Further, prairie dogs carry Hanta virus.

Skunks will decimate a chicken coop in a single night. They are amazingly destructive and viscous..... really is amazing how kuch they kill off poultry without eating most of it.

When you say Coy dogs, I am assuming you mean coyotes as a coy sog is a mix between dog and coyote. Known scavengers that have been proven to carry disease.

Crows..... no reason to kill them, same thing for desert rats.

Wood chucks, I could care less..... dont know enough about them to say one way or another.

Porcupines...... believe it or not.... quite tasty.

Wolves..... unlike some people, I understand the reintroduction of wolves has actually improved the health of the wetlands, and helps elk herds become bigger than ever. Two main reasons. First, wolves eat and balance out the rodents that destroy the grass lands and wetlands. This provides more food and resources for the large game. Second, unlike popular belief, dont go after large game just because. When they do, they go after the weak, sick, and old.... effectively helping the herd be healthier and stronger.....

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Another fun day in the home gym. 1 hour of hill repeats on the elliptical followed by 1 hour of weight lifting. today was lighter weights but more rotations (5 vs 3) through the same 8 stations at 25 reps per set plus 250 sit up with 50 pounds of weights. weeeeee.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I know they carry bubonic plague, but I thought Hanta was limited to mice. This would be news to me too.
Prairie dogs are not known to contract or transmit hantaviruses. Worldwide, hantaviruses are associated with deer mice and other rodents in the family Muridae, which are distant relatives of prairie dogs (Squirrels, in the family Sciuridae). Prairie dogs do not carry plague

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Prairie dogs are not known to contract or transmit hantaviruses. Worldwide, hantaviruses are associated with deer mice and other rodents in the family Muridae, which are distant relatives of prairie dogs (Squirrels, in the family Sciuridae). Prairie dogs do not carry plague
Well, they don't directly, but the fleas on them do. There are multiple cases every year in CO of prairie dog to human bubonic plague transmission.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Citation?
I know they carry bubonic plague, but I thought Hanta was limited to mice. This would be news to me too.
Sorry...... Listed the wrong virus....... i was tired...

From FWP MT

Screenshot_20200409-095422_Chrome.jpg

Have dealt with livestock becoming infected.

Like Adventurous said, almost all of them have fleas and that is how it gets transmitted