Quantcast

Waiting for Mono 4's

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
...Patiently. Until then, it's nearly naked.

My declaration of a "no wedding discussion zone" worked. I've been in the bike dungeon for two hours now, swapping things around, facing disc tabs and hoping for the snow to melt over the next few days.

Attachments

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Brian HCM#1 said:
Excellent choice of brakes:thumb:
Yep. I've used Hopes exclusively since I first put them on a mountain bike in 1997. I've gone from what was once called the Hope Pro (most recently called the C2), to Enduro's, to M4's, Moni Mini's, Mono Trials and now the Mono 4's for this bike. They're the Chris King of brakes for sure.

now if I could just put an end to all that squealing...

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
no they are the Hadley of Brakes.....or brian would just say run hope hubs.....

whats a Mono Trials Brake?
got a pic?

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
stosh said:
Buck, you get to look for thoes springs?
I couldn't find them in my parts box. I know I have them somewhere, but I've still got bunches of unopened boxes from my last move. Before I move to Portland in June, I'll be going through everything to sell/give away everything that I don't need. I'll PM you when I do find them and I'm sorry to have piqued your curiosity when I didn't know exactly where they were...they're somewhere damnit. I'll check my other parts box tonight.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Buck Fever said:
I couldn't find them in my parts box. I know I have them somewhere, but I've still got bunches of unopened boxes from my last move. Before I move to Portland in June, I'll be going through everything to sell/give away everything that I don't need. I'll PM you when I do find them and I'm sorry to have piqued your curiosity when I didn't know exactly where they were...they're somewhere damnit. I'll check my other parts box tonight.
Ok cool I"m waiting to hear back from some other people so whoever gets back to me first.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
DHS said:
no they are the Hadley of Brakes.....or brian would just say run hope hubs.....

whats a Mono Trials Brake?
got a pic?
heres what ive found:
Somebodys quick review with pictures of old mono mini, and new trials mono mini:
Initial impressions:
The brake is obviously different from the standard Mono Mini when you have the opportunity to hold them both in your hands. The caliper is feels much lighter than the standard Mono Mini. My setup, including brake, all hose, rotor and bolts weighs 383g. I didn't bother to get exact measurements of the piston diameter, but I would guess that it's 3-4 mm larger than the non trials version. The pads are unique to this brake and swept area is also 3-4mm greater as would be expected.

Installation:
Set up is identical to that of any other brake Hope has made. However, In my particular case, due to the larger slave piston (and larger caliper) there was some interference between the caliper and my spokes. I couldn't set the brake up with ideal alignment for the time being. The end result is that I have some slight drag on the inside portion of the rotor...better than wearing away the caliper or spokes.

Feel & Power:
Most Hope brakes feel very solid at the lever...Much like a properly setup Magura rim brake. I would say that this feels more like an RB lever on an HS-33 on a Crescent with no booster. It's pretty mushy. Given the master/slave piston ratio, it's to be expected. Different than a mushy feeling rim brake, which is typically due to flex and rotation of the seat stays, there is very little detectable flex in the caliper or lever of this brake. I'm assuming most of the detectable flex is coming from initial hose expansion and slight pad compression. I wouldn't say the flex is bad, but it's a change if you're used to a firmer brake.

As I haven't had the proper opportunity to bed in the pads, I don't know of it's full potential power. After riding around in the driveway with the brake dragging for about five minutes, I can easily lock the brake with very little finger pressure. My experience with Hopes leads me to believe that the brake will get much more grabby over time. As it stands, the brake is also very controllable...modulation is great...I expect that it will be a bit more difficult as the brake beds in, so we'll see and I'll post again once I've had sufficient time to ride it. "
old:

new:

and ive also heard theyre producting them in conjunction with a trials company named Try-all, and heres a pic of those:

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Hey, that's MY review and my pics except for the last one.

The Mono Trials is a superb brake except for the pads shifting back and forth. I'm working on a fix for that though.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
wow, thanks Dirty, that made my day
great little review there.
the trials mono looks like it has a bigger breaking surface. i want some
cool "try-all" rotors.
wow thanks again

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
i believe its Brisa trials forks that only take a 190mm rotor or soemthing weird like that, that might be a brisa specific model or soemthing...

good review buck, didnt realize that was you over on observedtrials.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
DHS said:
wait in the pic, it says its 190mm rotor?
werd
The Try-All version is a 190mm rotor. They make forks for trials bikes which don't use a IS mount. Their mount is 30mm offset, hence the 190mm rotor. At the time Hope sent my brakes, they were only avialable for a 160mm front. As I got a pre-production model, I don't know what the rotor specs are for the Hope branded brakes.

BTW...a 160 rotor on the front is more than adequate for that brake. It's power is sickening. Light pressure, 1-finger stopping at my 200lb. 190 is way overkill IMO and could lead to a lot of fork snapping.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Dirty said:
i believe its Brisa trials forks that only take a 190mm rotor or soemthing weird like that, that might be a brisa specific model or soemthing...

good review buck, didnt realize that was you over on observedtrials.

No sir. The Try-All fork takes the special 190mm rotor. The Brisa will take any IS combination. The one pictured on my fork is a 160mm rotor.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
DHS said:
wow, thanks Dirty, that made my day
great little review there.
the trials mono looks like it has a bigger breaking surface. i want some
cool "try-all" rotors.
wow thanks again
If you're looking to get a Mono Trialsfor your trials bike, go for it. After using them for a few months now, I can say they're the most powerful, amazing feeling brakes I've ever had on any bike. But you're not supposed to run them on standard bikes. The swept area is bigger, the pads are bigger and they generate heat much faster. They also have Aluminum pistons, which Hope tells me transfers heat too readily into the DOT fluid. In a DH or heavy braking XC situation, it could lead to lock-up or failure.

I've recommended to them that they make the Mono Trials with steel pistons like the other brakes. I'd have them on all my bikes.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
ah, i wanted them for my xc bike, cause they be light.
but i guess not.
thanks for all the cool good info

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
DHS said:
ah, i wanted them for my xc bike, cause they be light.
but i guess not.
thanks for all the cool good info
No problem. If anyone ever has questions about Hope, I have quite a bit of experience with them, so don't hesitate to ask.

Buck Fever

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Hipsterville USA
Brian HCM#1 said:
Really? What a queinky dink..........me too :)
Maybe we're long lost brothers....it just so happens, that I too dislike hippies. All they do is twirl and huck their frisbees in the park. They're all mixed up on the hucking.