Quantcast

<Wake>Thursday<Up!>

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
So, I am waiting for a school bus that is stopped to pick up kids (I am in the right lane, school bus is in left facing me with his stop sign/lights on)
Some douchebag comes up behind me, passes me on the left, drives around me, and proceeds to drive straight by the school bus.
Where do these fuckers learn to drive?

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
So, I am waiting for a school bus that is stopped to pick up kids (I am in the right lane, school bus is in left facing me with his stop sign/lights on)
Some douchebag comes up behind me, passes me on the left, drives around me, and proceeds to drive straight by the school bus.
Where do these fuckers learn to drive?

Massachusetts most likely.
I see this every day.
Stop for bus, crosswalk, somebody parking and people just drive around you zero fucks given.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
More what I meant was cutting down a tree and prepping for stuff like planks and 2x4's.....

Draw knives for stripping bark suck.

As far as which one.... Flat blade slightly rounded.
gotcha. was hoping it could pull double duty.

what would you suggest for debarking?

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
This one I just posted is nice and handles knots and small branches well

When it comes down tonit, there is a fair bit of trial and error to be done. The different shapes have different purposes, but in the end it's what you can make it do and if you are comfortable using that style for the outcome.

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
woke up above the clouds bright and sunny. the drive down was pea soup about 1k' down. cloudy down in the flats in the ol' orifice park.
yes, that's also a metaphor.

EDIT- third post in a row, this coffee is working on 10!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
This one I just posted is nice and handles knots and small branches well

When it comes down tonit, there is a fair bit of trial and error to be done. The different shapes have different purposes, but in the end it's what you can make it do and if you are comfortable using that style for the outcome.
gotcha. was looking for some general guidance. there's other factors too (tree type, moisture content, etc) that'll also impact performance. primarily looking to do debarking on both firewood (i have a big stack of ash that i'd like to debark some of, although to be fair some of it is dry enough i can pull the bark off by hand) and for trail building (both debarking and some coarse shaping to get stuff to lie more flush).

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Good morning, I guess.

Pulled out my light the other week, since it's dark at like Noon these days. Couldn't find the usb cable to charge it. It's an older Serfas, so I checked online, then called them, and was assured they have the correct part for me. Yay! Great success. Package arrives. Wrong cable. BOO to them.

If anyone has an unwanted USB cable that looks like this, I'll take it.
View attachment 131377

ps: this light hasn't been turned on for at least a year and it's still super bright. Serfas makes decent stuff.
https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00NH11N5A?sa-no-redirect=1

Edit: jbp was on it before I even woke up.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
gotcha. was looking for some general guidance. there's other factors too (tree type, moisture content, etc) that'll also impact performance. primarily looking to do debarking on both firewood (i have a big stack of ash that i'd like to debark some of, although to be fair some of it is dry enough i can pull the bark off by hand) and for trail building (both debarking and some coarse shaping to get stuff to lie more flush).
Ahhh, gotcha..... Well, the firewood when it's ready for splitting g should have all the bark come off anyways.

The one I posted should do what you are looking to do. They take practice, patience, and do give e a good work out

I'm confused. Why the hell would you debark firewood, especially ash? It's a fucking waste of time and energy, including that in the bark you would be discarding.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
You lost me at "kale"...

Fucking hippies.

:disgust1:
Dinner..... Will be fresh venison tenderloin simple seasing salt and light fresh pepper pan seared between rare and medium rare.... Fresh as in harvested last night..... Mashed red and yellow potatoes butter and cream, not sure on other seasing yet, and some good ole corn on the cob.... Roasted, not boiled

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Ah Thursday and another mass shooting with an obligatory serving of mental health care discussion.

The real mental health issue here is this country's collective obsession with guns that prioritizes their ease and availability above all else, including the lives of children.

not directed at you @DirtyMike

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I didn't quite get this part, did they age it one year, or a few days? A bit unclear to me...

"We aged a tough, old elk tenderloin in the fridge one year to test time and temperature (a constant 36). Two to 3 days did almost nothing; 7-10 days saw a tremendous difference. After that, there was improvement, but it was minimal. It was time to put him in the freezer."
They tested it daily for a year & it peaked 7-10 days in but 1-3 days had not much change.

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
So, DM, if beef is vastly improved by aging, why not game?
Fat content?
Sincere question.
It all depends on the cut, the age of the animal, size, sex, temperature, what they are eating.

For instance, if you can't keep them about 40 degrees, better get them cut and packed quickly, where as if it's nice and cool you have more time.

The older they are, the more you want them to age. 7-10 days is about the most for any meat before cutting. A nice whitetail doe, a day or two is all you need or want, a big buck or elk that is right in the rut..... Definitely want a week when you can. That week let's all the testosterone dissipate and helps lose any gamyness if any.

Initial "aging" is more about how well the meat will cut and how tender it will be when cooked. Tenderloins from any animal are pretty much ready before they even get cool in the first place..... Super tender, super tasty.... Shoulders are good to go pretty fast also, where as your backstraps/loin cuts and rump/hams.... Those definitely want to rest a bit before processing.

If you have a good cooler, like my garage right now being 15° at night, you can always let them rest. Let them get good and rigored up, makes processing much easier, and cleaner.

It's more resting vs aging that is flavor involved. Resting is just leaving the animal while it rigors, blood will finish settling, the meat will "toughen" a bit and become easier to work with.

Aging on the other hand..... You get the same effect with aging game meat and beef and lamb and pork.....
That usually involves either salts, or clean rooms. At home you can get special vacuum sealing bags that work nice for in the fridge, that's an easy way to get a nice 30 day dry aged meat.

Fat content has a little to do with it also, but not much other than it's easier to trim when it rests a week.

Almost all meat you buy will only have been rested, not aged.

Last edited: