Quantcast

*& Wake up, Wednesday slackers! &*

RoboDonkey713

Monkey
Feb 24, 2011
Maine
Was up making breakfast this AM and heard this rumbling noise. Then my house shook a little bit. Lasted maybe 15 seconds. I figured the Air Guard where flying some maneuvers by my house. Nope. It was a small 2.1 earthquake. I survived. Now work and bikes later on.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Morning Monkeys.

FTS its MF is underway. Planned on going camping, but the weather looks like it might be the suck. Was originally supposed to play tourist on a US Navy ship from Astoria up the Columbia into downtown for fleet week, but was bumped when the Navy reduced the number of jackasses. Wasn't added to the list last year, got bumped this year, supposed to be towards the top for next year. Who knows. :rofl:

When I was active duty, we got held up in Washington and missed fleet week in Portland. I knew nothing of Portland, but a few guys had stories, but nobody believed them. When I moved here and saw it first hand, wow. Portland loves sailors, and in a town with more strip clubs than liquor stores, it actually makes a lot of sense. Portland is the best liberty port in the United States. I've yet to be a tourist on a ship, so I am actually looking forward to it. Just not this yet, dammit.

In other news, got he seat for Lil Man's pimp ride, but I'm not sure about it. It's a THE Dice Mini race seat (Think old school Uni mini seat/post combo). It's wicked light and I think it is way more comfortable than his Strider seat, but the yellow/black (while cool on their own) clash bad with the red. :panic:

Somebody needs to put a lockdown on my Paypal account, this is just getting ridiculous.

SuboptimusPrime

Turbo Monkey
Aug 18, 2005
NorCack
Randomly ended up staying up late drinking beers with @jackalope. This in combination with aggressive broccoli consumption at dinner resulted in not one but two remarkably satisfying evacuations this morning. Given lack of sleep, feeling surprisingly good so far, hope it lasts.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Hair on fire start to the morning. Been out for two days and I've come back stack of emails about sales stats being incorrect. Direct manager isn't here so I'm dealing with our Director figuring out why because she's meeting with the VP in 2 hours and I don't have access to individual's stats. Finally done and it turns out just mine were off, but now she's all riled up because the stats were done wrong. My direct manager will likely be unhappy with the email chains that he will be coming back to tomorrow. Giddy.

Wifey has two really good interviews this week. One with an investment firm which is completely out of her boathouse being finance. The other with a global top-tier real estate firm that she has really good referrals to (same company C-level from different major metro market) and recommendations from her old company C-levels as well. That is the most likely position for her and I'd wager a small amount of money on it. She'd also do well and fit in there.

I can't wait until tomorrow at 5pm when I am done for the week.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
For my first before work Ride of the summer. Early morning light makes for pretty awesome riding conditions. Not sure about getting up before 5 AM... was definitely worth it today

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Last night, I managed to finally get the bass part for Smokestack Lightnin' by Howlin' Wolf. The feel is deceptive, and it's a little quick for my left hand.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I ended up buying another seat ($8, the THE was $4). So now I have options on Lil Man's build. I made an offer I never thought they would take, so oh well. :rofl:

Wingnut

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2003
Sorry, I'm Canadian ..sorry...
Hello.

Just another day. Much like the last 2, and probably repeat the next two days. I need to get out of this groundhog day nightmare. I almost do not want to come to work anymore its so slow and pointless.

But bills tell me I have to.

Biking again tonight, 2 more this week at the 20k mark then I double it next week. Think I might sign up for a sprint triathlon for later this summer, more motivation!

Interview was killer, one of my best performances really.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
nick cave tonight....no front row seats this time so no withering gaze....

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Gotta go get pictures for my Vietnam visa, I think I'm going to take an extra long lunch and take a walk instead of driving. That way I can hit the gyro place along the way and enjoy being outside in the sunshine.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The Buddhist concept of mudita, or mitfreude, "sympathetic joy" or "happiness in another's good fortune", is cited as an example of the opposite of schadenfreude. Alternatively, envy, which is unhappiness in another's good fortune, could be considered the counterpart of schadenfreude
Envy implies a longing to have the thing another has. I'm really looking more for simple misery at another's joy, not desiring their joy.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Went to snag my favorite breakfast burrito and the cart is gone. There is now a cart sized hole in the row of carts. WTF? So I went to Don Jalapeno's about 6 carts down from the hole. The #3 (bacon, hash browns, eggs, cheese) was pretty good and the hab sauce was on point. The #6 has hash browns, eggs, cheese, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, and spinach. I think next time I will do a #6 + bacon, should be good.

/yelpreview

Yossarian

Monkey Pimp
Jul 25, 2001
Aboard the Inchcliffe Castle
Envy implies a longing to have the thing another has. I'm really looking more for simple misery at another's joy, not desiring their joy.
Fair enough. The earlier exercise was one of showing the difficulty in translating your original request. apparently what you are looking for is:

The transposed variant "freudenschade" has been invented in English to mean sorrow at another person's success

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
My section chief tried to rescind my already-approved vacation around July 4. I told him to pound sand as I already had purchased (non-refundable) plane tickets based off of the approval. Gah. (He backed down.)

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I knew this couple back in Art School who's main source of entertainment was to sit on the couch, chain smoke, and complain about how miserable other people's lives were. Not sure which was more interesting to me, the people they were talking about or the fact that they failed to see the irony.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Went to snag my favorite breakfast burrito and the cart is gone. There is now a cart sized hole in the row of carts. WTF? So I went to Don Jalapeno's about 6 carts down from the hole. The #3 (bacon, hash browns, eggs, cheese) was pretty good and the hab sauce was on point. The #6 has hash browns, eggs, cheese, bell pepper, onion, mushrooms, and spinach. I think next time I will do a #6 + bacon, should be good.

/yelpreview
Dude that sucks. I had a waffle place I liked. Gone. Favorite fruit stand. Gone.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I understand change better than most, but I never saw a sign or anything saying they were closing, moving, setting the bitch on fire...
Foodtrucks are awesome. But without the ability to control food costs like you can with a brack and mortar joint. It is a uphill struggle. Retaining employees is also hard. Working in a truck and being handicapped by a tiny kitchen is hard work and generally sucks.

Wandered around our woods with a guy from the non-profit which will eventually take charge of our empire when we croak.

Started running a 150' Category 6 Ethernet cable from the west corner of our house to the east corner of the nearby garage, said cable to feed a WAP which should speak to our solar array when installation is completed. Only drilled one 11/16" hole in one finger in the process.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Foodtrucks are awesome. But without the ability to control food costs like you can with a brack and mortar joint. It is a uphill struggle. Retaining employees is also hard. Working in a truck and being handicapped by a tiny kitchen is hard work and generally sucks.
When my son was looking for a change, the wife and I took a serious look at having him run a food truck. A friend of mine builds them on the side, but there are so many variables to look at that we decided it was way more than we needed to deal with. I try to give the ones I love as much business as I can. I support local as much anyway, but the level of food some here turn out for the price they do, it is amazing they can even do it. Seriously 75% of the amazing food in Portland is on wheels.

I got to know the guy who had a sandwich truck at work. He made pretty good dough in the boom of the late 90's, but that area was a ghost town by 2002 and I never found out if he closed or relocated. I know he talked about going brick and mortar.

On a side note, a lot of pods are starting to go away because the parking lot they currently reside would make more money as a hotel. But that is Portland crazy real estate.