Quantcast

/.\ Wake up /.\

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Interesting interaction with the buyer of the Yeti. He decided not to buy it because he was concerned about his daughter, who is slightly older and taller than Haley, being able to stand over it. I went through the plans we had with Haley - putting it onto 24" wheels, super short stem, etc - but how it panned out that we were able to find an actual youth bike and went that route. I threw the 24" wheels from the pink bike onto it to show him how much it drops and then Haley's bike next to it, with a 30mm stem for how much to tightens the cockpit.

He decided against it and that he wanted to find an actual XS and let her use that until she is ready to grow into a 27.5. We ended up talking for a while about riding, things to look for, what companies make XS and youth bikes that will work, what he can do if he buys a cheaper bike for the frame and how to upgrade from there, etc.

Got an email about 45min ago that he does want the bike. His plan is for his daughter, if he can find 24" wheels. If not, his son will get this, because it's so much lighter. She will get his bike, which will go on a diet. And then she'll get a different birthday present.

Really glad that this is going towards getting another younger girl into riding mtn bikes. Went down $100 from what I wanted because I felt that $100 was totally worth it to get another girl riding.

So, it's gone now.

Edit: there are now only 10 bikes between Haley, Hannah, and me.

Last edited:

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Hosted the Nation on a piece of property I own so they could conduct an archeological survey. I am building a bridge over a creek and it has taken years to get to this point. We didn't find anything of course. I owe them 1500 bucks now. Hopefully construction can move forward soon. Now waiting for tacos.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Hosted the Nation on a piece of property I own so they could conduct an archeological survey. I am building a bridge over a creek and it has taken years to get to this point. We didn't find anything of course. I owe them 1500 bucks now. Hopefully construction can move forward soon. Now waiting for tacos.

I would say that it seems unfair you would have to pay them, but then I remembered American History and would say it was gracious of them not to murder you. But not you specifically but I think you get the point.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Had lunch with a guy at a sketchy taqueria, got an informal job offer with salary. I kind of managed most of his engineers through a project at work and said that I would want him to ask them about me and have their vote of confidence. He said he did and it was unanimous. It would be a 15% pay cut but orders of magnitude less frustrating and more rewarding.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Had lunch with a guy at a sketchy taqueria, got an informal job offer with salary. I kind of managed most of his engineers through a project at work and said that I would want him to ask them about me and have their vote of confidence. He said he did and it was unanimous. It would be a 15% pay cut but orders of magnitude less frustrating and more rewarding.
Have done similar in the past, worth it, and ended up with even better $$$ later from being on a better path.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I would say that it seems unfair you would have to pay them, but then I remembered American History and would say it was gracious of them not to murder you. But not you specifically but I think you get the point.
Well it's a dance. I told them I had 1500 into the I-beams and another 1500 into the permits. I'd pay up to 1500 for the survey also. They invoiced me for 1498. Haha. It was all their land before anyways. I find cultural artifacts out in the hills regularly. There's shit laying around everywhere! I was able to train my eye 12 years ago working in WY as an archeological technician. Found all sorts of cultural stuff back then. Was paid $18 an hour to metal detect in the back country of Yellerstone.

Heres a projectile point I found in my yard a few weeks ago...

101730.jpeg

Well it's a dance. I told them I had 1500 into the I-beams and another 1500 into the permits. I'd pay up to 1500 for the survey also. They invoiced me for 1498. Haha. It was all their land before anyways. I find cultural artifacts out in the hills regularly. There's shit laying around everywhere! I was able to train my eye 12 years ago working in WY as an archeological technician. Found all sorts of cultural stuff back then. Was paid $18 an hour to metal detect in the back country of Yellerstone.

Heres a projectile point I found in my yard a few weeks ago...

View attachment 164972
This area is littered with Abenaki points, scrapers, and other artifacts. I have found one or two obviously from elsewhere.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
no Native Americans nor arrowheads, but two archeological stories ...

a. I was doing a project for CDOC down in Canon City. The area we were building over was rumored to be a mass grave from a severe flu outbreak early in the 1900s. Our direction was "it's not likely, but if you're boring holes and any bones come up, you kick those bones right back into that hole." Yea. Great, thanks.

b. a project this year in middle of racist bumfuck western VA. After the contractor started clearing the woods, they found a slave cemetery. mostly rock markers, but a few proper headstones dated mid 1850s. wild stuff. It's being preserved as a historical site now.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
There is no hope for this generation

Overheard on the scanner. BLS 140 respond to XXXX in hayward level A for adam for a 26 year old male who pulled a muscle while riding his bike yesterday.

I'm sorry, You pulled a muscle 24 hours ago and now you want an ambulance? wuss

Wanna bet he just wants some pain meds. He is going to be seriously disappointed BLS rigs don't carry drugs and he is going to get a bill for the crew if they even check him out LOL

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
was tempted to dilute my water with whiskey today.......

nope....

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
There is no hope for this generation

Overheard on the scanner. BLS 140 respond to XXXX in hayward level A for adam for a 26 year old male who pulled a muscle while riding his bike yesterday.

I'm sorry, You pulled a muscle 24 hours ago and now you want an ambulance? wuss

Wanna bet he just wants some pain meds. He is going to be seriously disappointed BLS rigs don't carry drugs and he is going to get a bill for the crew if they even check him out LOL
Was this young man also getting on your lawn?

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Shit nice wildland fire just broke out about 9 miles west of me Alameda County Fire, Livermore Pleasanton Fire and Cal Fire are throwing everything at it. Houses being evacuated, 4 separate spots are burning within a mile of each other. Near the intersection of I680 and hwy 84 on Pleasanton Sunol Rd

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
One archeological story:

As a teenager I took a summer job to be a muscle for an archeological research in a Archbishop's palace in my home town. We dug deep, found many layers of various crap, everything from 1700s on was deemed "too new to have value". We found pottery fragments from the bronze age, that got the chief archeologist interested.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I may have told this story before but I was riding Phil's World years ago. We had stopped for ? and ran into a guy who said "want to see an archeological site?" We had unknowingly stopped on the edge of some prehistoric tertiary scatter. I ended up pocketing a sharp flake. WUT

Well later my buddy flatted, 10 miles out from the car. We had a tube and a pump but he used a presta tube in a shrader rim. The aluminum insert to make the presta valve work had corroded into the rim and was stuck. The old tube was welded into the rim. We were fucked. No knife or tools to get us back in action. That's when I remembered the flake. It made quick work slicing the tube out around the stem. We found a pair of rocks to be used as a punch and hammer. We were back on the trail shortly afterwards.