Quantcast

wakefield poll

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
The reason for that is a good number of the dudes here are more freeride oreinted. Most of the people of the poll seem to be strict XC.

Strictly speaking from a XC pespective, the trails look really nice and flowy so you could hammer from start to finish.

From a freeride perspective, where peeps might be more inclined to stop and smell the roses and play around a bit the trail is VERY easy. The old trails did pose more of a challenge then the new ones.

But, I guess it is a trade off, lose the hard stuff to enable the trails to be easily maintained and ridden a day or so after a rain. This translates to more peeps riding the trails sooner and since the freeriders are the minority the need of the many out wieght the need of a few...............

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
If you are a freerider why would you go to Wakefield?

Actually, let me rephrase that: If you are looking for freeride stuff, why would you go to Wakefield?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
riderx said:

Actually, let me rephrase that: If you are looking for freeride stuff, why would you go to Wakefield?
Seriously. The only thing even close to being un-XC in the area are the rooty chutes to the cinder trail at Accotink...the ones that MORE closes at the parks request almost everytime they have maintenance, but that some asshat reopens every time so they can get in their 40 feet of downhill bliss. :rolleyes:

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Let me re-phrase the answer.

Since it is close and if you wanted to go for a ride in the evening or for a few hours on a weekend "just to get out" , most freeriders would perfer to XC on something more technical due to their skill set. And since a good protion of the dudes here are freeriders, I would expect different results BTW the MORE poll and here.

Bikegeek:
Not that I agree with opening up a trail or their actions, but ALL of the hills were sanitized in the park. Even the ones that use to be by the new baseball field. For some people, if you work to come up (climb) something,a nice reward is to come back down a trail that would get your adrenalin pumping a bit. Ya know the OHHH, shiat factor! But if it is not to be..........I can live with it and just use Wakefield as a cardio training spot, like road riding but more scenic.

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
dogdude said:
i found the results of the poll on this url interesting considering from what i read on here, which is seemingly opposite to this poll's results.

http://www.more-mtb.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1417
i think a lot of it has to do with who MORE's audience is and who the Ridemonkey forum's audience is.

MORE has a lot of less advanced riders who are into group rides, trail maintenance, and helping each other out. they cater to the lowest common denominator, which means their trails aren't always that exciting.

this Ridemonkey forum is (from what i can tell) mostly people who've been riding for a long time, who like to get their thrills and then sit back and drink a beer or twenty. we do trail maintenance, but while safety is a concern, our highest priority is big thrills and really cool crashes ;)

the trails at wakefield used to be a good mix - there were really easy ones, moderately easy ones, and more difficult ones, which meant that all sorts of people could ride there. the new trail system they've built is pretty much exciting only to beginners...

on the one hand that's good - there are a ton of really great, advanced XC trails in the area (fountainhead, patapsco, gambril, schaeffer, greenbrier, mckeldin, etc), and enough DH / freeride / jumps (495, the other 495, CC, and the shed, plus snowshoe, massanutten, and diablo within a nice road trip's distance). why not have one trail / park that caters to the beginners? it will likely encourage more people to participate in the sport, increase awareness, and make more people biker friendly. also, the trails at accotink are still there, even though some of them have been closed.

on the other hand, i probably won't ride at wakefield ever again. i'm much farther away now, and there isn't any point anymore.

the thing that sucks is that it's so convenient for so many people, so why not keep it more universally challenging?

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
riderx said:

because you used to be able to do fun stuff there...

in theory, you could show up with 3 bikes (yeah, yeah, yeah), spend an hour riding the skate park, spend an hour or two cruising around the xc trails, and then spend some time on various fun obstacles in the area.

the big thing, in my book, was convenience. it was the one trail relatively close to dc, just barely outside the beltway, where i could go do all kinds of different riding. sure, the hills weren't long or steep (on the way up or on the way down), but if you went up and down often enough, it added up.

the rest of the trails in the area are at least 1/2 hour away in the middle of the day, and at least an hour away if i try to go before 10:30am or after 3pm. and in this day of $30 tanks of gas...

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
SDH said:
Since it is close and if you wanted to go for a ride in the evening or for a few hours on a weekend "just to get out" , most freeriders would perfer to XC on something more technical due to their skill set.
For me, the more technical the better, but I wouldn't expect to find it at Wakefield. From what I've seen, you just aren't going to get it with the lay of the land down there. I'm guessing there is about 100ft. of elevation change there.

Couple that with being in the middle of overcrowded DC suburbia and the need to cater to all kinds of user types (besides bikers) and expectations of "freeride" trails don't seem realistic. Not necessarily directed to you, just adding to the conversation.

vwmtnbiker

Monkey
May 15, 2004
manasscrack
the fun factor is definitely GONE from the 'field. i think its great that you can now ride the place (and not get dirty looks) a day after a decent rain...but the new trails are definitely pretty boring. theres one nice section that switchbacks in and out of the woods along the powerlines where they could berm it up nice (but knowing MORE they wont) so you could really nail it. i have to say the challenge is definitely more in riding it hard and fast now...gets a 5 out of 10 right now.

it also seems that MORE deems dimensional lumber OK at wakefield but not at conway...hmmmmmm...double standard?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
SDH said:
Not that I agree with opening up a trail or their actions, but ALL of the hills were sanitized in the park. Even the ones that use to be by the new baseball field. For some people, if you work to come up (climb) something,a nice reward is to come back down a trail that would get your adrenalin pumping a bit. Ya know the OHHH, shiat factor! But if it is not to be..........I can live with it and just use Wakefield as a cardio training spot, like road riding but more scenic.
Sorry, I kinda got off-topic. I was talking about Accotink. I totally agree with the work/reward bit. I haven't been to the new Wakefield, so can't comment one way or the other on the new trails.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
vwmtnbiker said:
it also seems that MORE deems dimensional lumber OK at wakefield but not at conway...hmmmmmm...double standard?
As far as I know, the park chooses what they want built and with what materials.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
vwmtnbiker said:
It's not MORE who ultimately determines what's okay and what's not...it's whatever authority happens to manage the particular piece of land, which in this case involves two different agencies, Fairfax County Park Authority for Wakefield (I'm guessing) and Virginia's Department of Forestry in the case of Conway. Were you aware that Conway isn't even a park? It's a state forest for which recreation is not the primary function although I speculate it's probably going to become a bigger component of the forest's use in the future. I think it just boils down to Fairfax Co. Park Authority said it was okay (at Wakefield) given the site plan presented to them by IMBA, VA Dept. of Forestry said it was not (at Conway). Besides, the use of dimensional lumber in each case has different contexts.

Personally I'm not against using dimensional lumber to build structures per se provided it doesn't provoke the ire of other user groups and it's executed well - neither of which was the case at Conway. I think the CAMBO effort is a better location to do what I think you want to do and I support it 110% :thumb:. The CAMBO folks are doing a great job with that site and they certainly have a big advantage out there with it being private land.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Daminen is right, it is the Fairfax park people who determine what happens. Also, the complete project is expected to take several seasons to complete. From reading this email my guess is someone or some group raised issues about the environemental and/or historical issues and that forced the park to act. Here is background on why and how the trail re-work is being done:

Part of an email from Larry Cautilli back in February:
By now, some or most of you have heard that there are major happenings going on at our favorite Fairfax County Park Authority Park (FCPA). Hopefully in the next paragraph or so, I can give you all a quick synopsis. Basically, due to a chain of events, the Park Authority decided that a redesign of the existing multi-use trail network was needed to facilitate a more sustainable trail system while taking into account historical and environmental issues. The bottom line goal was to modify the existing trails or to create new trails that could stand up to all types of weather while addressing specific concerns from conversationalists and historians. Realizing early on that this would be a HUGE undertaking, the management of Wakefield Park enlisted the aid of the International Mountain Bike Association (IMBA). Several months ago IMBA made a quick assessment of the park and agreed to take the job.

This last week a representative from IMBA made the first pass at a trail
assessment. Today, representatives from FCPA Headquarters, Wakefield Park,
the FCPA Historian and the FCPA Naturalist received a presentation from IMBA
followed by a walk through that overviewed the proposed changes. I am happy to report that almost 100% of everything that IMBA recommended was approved. Tomorrow and the next couple of days after the holiday will be spent cataloguing the existing trail network into a GIS system. The proposed new network of trails will also be entered. IMBA's strategy is to replace our
existing riding experience with one that is equal to or superior to what we
currently have.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Speaking of freeride opportunities, did anyone follow up on this that was sent to the MORE email list a couple of weeks ago? The deadline is coming up in a couple of weeks.

If there are any Freeriders out there that have a project in mind get in touch with me and we will try to win this grant.

Scott Scudamore
MORE Trail Boss

-----Original Message-----

Kona/IMBA Freeriding Grants Available

For Immediate Release, March 23, 2005
Contact: Pete Webber, IMBA communications director pete at imba.com,
303-545-9011

Kona/IMBA Freeriding Grants Available

Mountain bike groups looking to develop technical riding will again benefit
from a grant program focused on building challenging trails. In 2005, Kona
Bicycle Company and the International Mountain Bicycling Association (IMBA)
will award cash grants to fund the development of freeriding, downhilling,
and dirt jumping projects.

IMBA-affiliated clubs in North America are invited to apply for seven $1,000
awards. The application deadline is May 1, 2005, and the grants will be
awarded in June.

Funding for the program comes from Kona and the Kona/IMBA Bowling Party, an
annual Las Vegas fundraiser held during Interbike, the bicycle industry
trade show.

The program's goal is to speed the development of freeriding opportunities
on public land. Grants may be used for a variety of purposes, including
gaining land manager approval, addressing liability concerns, trail and
stunt construction, trailhead kiosks and signage, and freeride organization
building.

The Kona/IMBA Freeriding Grants program builds on Kona's time-tested support
of mountain biking advocacy. Kona has been a leading IMBA corporate
supporter since '94 and has developed several creative fundraising projects,
including the Kona Buck-A-Bike program, the ongoing Kona Bro Deal program
(which asks all bro deal purchasers to become IMBA members), and the highly
successful bowling tourney, which recently celebrated its seventh edition.

Application Details:
http://www.imba.com/resources/grants/kona_fr_grant.html

2004 Kona/IMBA Freeriding Grant Winners:
http://www.imba.com/news/news_releases/04_04/04_15_freeride_grants.html

More IMBA Freeriding Resources:
http://www.imba.com/resources/freeriding/index.html

More IMBA Grant and Funding Resources:
http://www.imba.com/resources/grants/index.html

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
From what I've heard, a historian walked the park with IMBA, MORE, and park officials and pointed out features that were once part of a Civil War era fort. A lot of the re-routes are being done because of that alone.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
riderx said:
For me, the more technical the better, but I wouldn't expect to find it at Wakefield. From what I've seen, you just aren't going to get it with the lay of the land down there. I'm guessing there is about 100ft. of elevation change there.
If you are creative, there are a bunch of lines at wakefield that can be pretty challenging if they were worked a little bit. There are plenty of places that off shoot the stream trail where trail features can be made and still be ridden when it is muddy b/c they are off the ground. Plenty of fallen trees to work with. The extreme elevation drop at the top of the powerlines can easily be used for bridge drops. Ya just need to be creative. Will it be whistler..... no but it could be a fun place to burn some steam off after work.

I fully agree with K's assessment though, regarding wakefield's design, it caters to the greater group........beginners/intermediates.

meatboot

Monkey
Jul 28, 2004
Chapel Hell
BikeGeek said:
From what I've heard, a historian walked the park with IMBA, MORE, and park officials and pointed out features that were once part of a Civil War era fort. A lot of the re-routes are being done because of that alone.
That amuses me: you can't make piles of dirt and wooden structure here because some dudes made piles of dirt and wooden structures here a long time ago.

I'm not advocating the destruction of our historical legacy, just pointing out the irony. Maybe someday freeride spots will have archeological significance.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
meatboot said:
That amuses me: you can't make piles of dirt and wooden structure here because some dudes made piles of dirt and wooden structures here a long time ago.
...out there by that power substation there used to be a fort, the tennis courts are built on what may have been the stables, and somewhere under the highway there are the remains of buildings, but the area is too historically precious for trails... :rolleyes:

someday freeride spots will have archeological significance.
naaaaa, they'd get torn down before the became important. :p

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
SDH said:
If you are creative, there are a bunch of lines at wakefield that can be pretty challenging if they were worked a little bit. There are plenty of places that off shoot the stream trail where trail features can be made and still be ridden when it is muddy b/c they are off the ground. Plenty of fallen trees to work with. The extreme elevation drop at the top of the powerlines can easily be used for bridge drops. Ya just need to be creative. Will it be whistler..... no but it could be a fun place to burn some steam off after work.

I fully agree with K's assessment though, regarding wakefield's design, it caters to the greater group........beginners/intermediates.
thing is, the minute you build something like that, they take it down... about 2-3 years ago when there was a really big flood one spring, a bunch of trees came down across the creek trail. so i and a couple other people (whale?) made nice little ramps over them. gone within a week. not only were the twigs removed from the ramp we built up over the trees, but they were taken *away*. as in there was no evidence they had ever been there.

and there was another time about 3-4 years ago when whale and i and a couple other people built some obstacles at the top of the hill. there were ridearounds for all of them, they were plainly visible so unqualified people could avoid them, and they were very smooth (albeit a bit challenging). the following weekend we came upon the MORE boys carting them away in a pickup truck.

as usual, the argument was liability. yeah, some dumbsh*t might go over something (s)he can't handle, and sue the park because they don't know their limits.

sigh.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
kirstin said:
and there was another time about 3-4 years ago when whale and i and a couple other people built some obstacles at the top of the hill. there were ridearounds for all of them, they were plainly visible so unqualified people could avoid them, and they were very smooth (albeit a bit challenging). the following weekend we came upon the MORE boys carting them away in a pickup truck.
i'm pretty sure that stuff was taken out because it "interfered" with the XC course during the summer wednesday night races. those were the days before we dared to venture out into (well, knew where to find) more "technical" trail riding anyways and we were looking for new and harder challenges. we either didn't know where to find the right type of riding that suited us and i don't think in retrospect it was right to just throw together a pile of logs (at the time, i was pretty pissed though).

i think wakefield is a good place for getting that quick XC fix or to introduce a beginner to trails or to test out single-speeding for the first time or to do some night riding. you can't expect much elevation where this is NO elevation and technical riding where it really isn't technical. i never got much of a thrill from riding out there, it was more about getting some cardio going and to keep going going going (albeit most of the time around and around on the same trails). some of the creek drops and log obstacles were fun though and got me interested in riding more than just flat and wide trails without much elevation.

wakefield definitely needed some rework since riding through nasty dirty swamp water and mud pits shouldn't be anyone's idea of fun nor good for the trails. hopefully, some of the fun obstacles and more challenging things can still be a part of the trail network there because it's always good to give a beginner an opportunity to try out something different and more challenging but not impede them from just passing by it.

all this being said, i can't say that i'll be riding wakefield anytime soon because there are just more interesting "things" to ride in that area ;) (like this afternoon, around 5:30ish)

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
whale said:
i'm pretty sure that stuff was taken out because it "interfered" with the XC course during the summer wednesday night races. those were the days before we dared to venture out into (well, knew where to find) more "technical" trail riding anyways and we were looking for new and harder challenges. we either didn't know where to find the right type of riding that suited us and i don't think in retrospect it was right to just throw together a pile of logs (at the time, i was pretty pissed though).

i think wakefield is a good place for getting that quick XC fix or to introduce a beginner to trails or to test out single-speeding for the first time or to do some night riding. you can't expect much elevation where this is NO elevation and technical riding where it really isn't technical. i never got much of a thrill from riding out there, it was more about getting some cardio going and to keep going going going (albeit most of the time around and around on the same trails). some of the creek drops and log obstacles were fun though and got me interested in riding more than just flat and wide trails without much elevation.

wakefield definitely needed some rework since riding through nasty dirty swamp water and mud pits shouldn't be anyone's idea of fun nor good for the trails. hopefully, some of the fun obstacles and more challenging things can still be a part of the trail network there because it's always good to give a beginner an opportunity to try out something different and more challenging but not impede them from just passing by it.

all this being said, i can't say that i'll be riding wakefield anytime soon because there are just more interesting "things" to ride in that area ;) (like this afternoon, around 5:30ish)
Well said!

But you were right it was nice to drop off a stream bed or clear a sketchy log pile during the humdrum cardio workout.........

They should of left the log crosssing even for the race would have made it more challenging. One thing that perplexes me about MORE, they will take out a log pile but maintain the "easy route" at shockabily hill in Fountain head. I have been racing DH for years and that is one of the hardest "beginner" sections I have ever ridden, couple that with ridding HT and beginner skills and there is a REAL recipe for disaster! But a 18" high(that you can roll off of at any given time) is far to menancing and dangerous..........That will always be confusing to me.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
kirstin said:
thing is, the minute you build something like that, they take it down... about 2-3 years ago when there was a really big flood one spring, a bunch of trees came down across the creek trail. so i and a couple other people (whale?) made nice little ramps over them. gone within a week. not only were the twigs removed from the ramp we built up over the trees, but they were taken *away*. as in there was no evidence they had ever been there.
I remember those trees, fun stuff. The park pulled those out because of some high school cross country race. That's the same year that sections of the singletrack at the Braddock Rd end of the creek trail became a 3 foot wide gravel "trail," also to accomodate the runners.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
SDH said:
They should of left the log crosssing even for the race would have made it more challenging. One thing that perplexes me about MORE, they will take out a log pile but maintain the "easy route" at shockabily hill in Fountain head. I have been racing DH for years and that is one of the hardest "beginner" sections I have ever ridden, couple that with ridding HT and beginner skills and there is a REAL recipe for disaster! But a 18" high(that you can roll off of at any given time) is far to menancing and dangerous..........That will always be confusing to me.
These decisions are usually made by the park and MORE just provides the labor. So what is fine at Fountainhead isn't necessarily fine at Wakefield. Personally I hate the sanitizing of the trail and think that when the park wants things "smoothed out" too much MORE should decline to do that work and offer to address real problems. Some park people are easy to work with, others really don't seem to understand our trail needs and it can be tough convincing them what we want to do.

dogdude

Chimp
Apr 3, 2005
Fairfax County VA
hmmm... so let me see what i can extrapulate from all of the responses... not many of those who responded likes wakefield anymore, most of you guys and gal do not think very highly of MORE, or cross country riding, and ride monkey consists of more advanced riders. now, what is everyones opinion of the old rules that were a mantra back when i started mountain biking in 1992 (although it was the blasphymous "cross country"):
· Ride on open trails only.
· Always yield and Pass with care.
· Control your bike.
· Leave no trace.
· Protect the environment.
· Never scare animals.

and is all freeriding a notch above cross country but a notch below all mountain?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
dogdude said:
hmmm... so let me see what i can extrapulate from all of the responses...
New Wakefield doesn't suck, it's just different. I went out there this weekend on my rigid SS and had a blast. That said, it's easy to see why the "big bike" crowd doesn't like it: log crossings are gone, fall-line trails that were rutted up and provided a bit of technical challenge to the park are gone, etc.

kirstin

Monkey
Mar 24, 2004
DC
dogdude said:
hmmm... so let me see what i can extrapulate from all of the responses... not many of those who responded likes wakefield anymore, most of you guys and gal do not think very highly of MORE, or cross country riding, and ride monkey consists of more advanced riders. now, what is everyones opinion of the old rules that were a mantra back when i started mountain biking in 1992 (although it was the blasphymous "cross country"):
· Ride on open trails only.
· Always yield and Pass with care.
· Control your bike.
· Leave no trace.
· Protect the environment.
· Never scare animals.

and is all freeriding a notch above cross country but a notch below all mountain?
1. it's not so much that i don't like wakefield anymore, it's just not challenging at all, and i'm certainly not going to drive down from ss just to ride those trails.
2. i appreciate MORE, but think their mentality is often misguided and follows the trend of catering to the lowest common denominator.
3. love me some cross country riding. and some downhill. and some road. and some urban.
4. as far as the items in your mantra list are concerned, i do try to follow all of them. a good rider can pass another, slower rider without endangering either of them (ie, not sending the other rider into the trees), control their bike, manage to not leave the area strewn with bottles and goo wrappers, and stop to move turtles and snakes out of harm's way...

dogdude

Chimp
Apr 3, 2005
Fairfax County VA
#1 SS?? silver spring md?? is the senaca creek state park trail in gaithersburg still open to mtbiking? has that one changed in the last 6 years or so? i havent been in a long time.

#2. lowest common denominator as in those not wanting to jump logs or do drops off??

#4. then i never ran into you while at fountainhead, cause you'd be the exception the times i went..lol. speaking of snakes, a big ole copperhead almost nailed me one time, it looked like a stick until i was right up on it.

what is everyones opinion of the avalon area of patapsco state park?... i havent been there for a long time either.

kirstin said:
1. it's not so much that i don't like wakefield anymore, it's just not challenging at all, and i'm certainly not going to drive down from ss just to ride those trails.
2. i appreciate MORE, but think their mentality is often misguided and follows the trend of catering to the lowest common denominator.
3. love me some cross country riding. and some downhill. and some road. and some urban.
4. as far as the items in your mantra list are concerned, i do try to follow all of them. a good rider can pass another, slower rider without endangering either of them (ie, not sending the other rider into the trees), control their bike, manage to not leave the area strewn with bottles and goo wrappers, and stop to move turtles and snakes out of harm's way...

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
SS = singlespeed

i appreciate MORE, but think their mentality is often misguided and follows the trend of catering to the lowest common denominator
The people I've worked the trails (and county meetings) with don't always like the trails we're building either. A lot of the time we are forced by those in power (park authority, county, state, etc.) to make a choice between a trail that everyone can ride or no trail at all. It's a no brainer, of course we're going to build the trail. In the case of Wakefield, you have to look at the primary user group: beginners. The park isn't about to let a bunch of technical trails be built because you know as well as I do that some asshat with imaginary skills is going to try it, get hurt, and sue.

I respect your opinion, as I've often found myself getting frustrated with MORE, but I continue to support them because I think if you look at the picture without them, you really won't like what you see.

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
BikeGeek said:
I respect your opinion, as I've often found myself getting frustrated with MORE, but I continue to support them because I think if you look at the picture without them, you really won't like what you see.
Well said.

Dogdude - what do you want to know about Avalon? It's my backyard.

dogdude

Chimp
Apr 3, 2005
Fairfax County VA
well, i just havent been there in a while, have the trails deteroriated from what they were 6 years ago? have they been maintained or improved??

Dogdude - what do you want to know about Avalon? It's my backyard.[/QUOTE]

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
dogdude said:
well, i just havent been there in a while, have the trails deteroriated from what they were 6 years ago? have they been maintained or improved??
Well, the trail down from the park and ride is now a super highway, you could drive a jeep through most sections. This is from riders not knowing how to stay on the tight stuff and constantly riding when it's muddy. But, most other stuff has been improved, we've done a lot of work out there the last few years.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
I guess I'll kick in my two pennies.

I like the new stuff at Wakefield. I like it because it adds a more continuous loop instead of the sound bite spider web that it replaced. I like it because it isn't muddy for weeks after a rain (the new stuff). I like it because the park is investing some resources in something other than 8 new baseball diamonds. I like it because we're getting better use of the terrain available.

Sure it isn't technically challenging for people with decent bike handling skills, but it helps you develop flow and maintain momentum. These are things that EVERYONE can work on to their benefit.

There are still a LOT of fun sections at Accotink and anyone looking for a guided tour (shameless plug) can come out for the Monday night ride: 6:30pm @ the WF recycling bins. We usually get in 10 miles or so at Accotink before the sun goes down and we come back to WF for more.