Quantcast

Wakefield Skatepark

rideLIKEjehu

Monkey
Jul 11, 2001
495/66/50/29
opens next weekend!

Wakefield Skate Park is opening on April 24, 2004. We are celebrating with free skating, live music, demonstrations by local skaters, discounts on memberships, and free giveaways -- all day long. This is a day that no skater or BMXer should miss.

The festivities will begin at 2pm with a brief ribbon cutting ceremony, recognition of our logo contest winner, and introduction to the skate park staff. We will have live music, giveaways, and demos from local skate instructors. Then the park will open for free skate with times for boarders, bladers, and BMXers.
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/skatepark/

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
I don't think they allow mountain bikes in yet. One of my friends is gonna work there and I have yet to ask her whats up. I'll post when I find out if we can get in.

rideLIKEjehu

Monkey
Jul 11, 2001
495/66/50/29
eh, i seriously doubt that you'll be kept out if you show up with a clean parkish bike, 20", 24", or 26" ... seems like their issue will be with mud, not tire size...

[edit: spelling]

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Originally posted by rideLIKEjehu
eh, i seriously doubt that you'll be kept out if you show up with a clean parkish bike, 20", 24", or 26" ... seems like they're issue will be with mud, not tire size...
Yah, that's what I'm thinking ... but if I heard correctly, only the main area will be done, they will add the pool and the halfpipe area dealy later ... but I still can't wait, I'll be there fo sho.

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Doesn't look too good, I stopped by there after school to inquire about mountain bikes and it took a great deal of convincing to persuade them to consider my admission on my SS park bike.

One of the first things they asked was if it had gears, so they seem pretty strict on the definition of a mountain bike.:rolleyes:

triumphbc

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
we should all plan to show up around the same time, so they see mtbs at the skatepark is common. i want to catch the early picks of the nfl draft, but am planning on heading up there in the early afternoon

rideLIKEjehu

Monkey
Jul 11, 2001
495/66/50/29
ben-

wakefield is basically at the corner of 495 & braddock road, just outside the beltway.

brian -

i think showing up en masse around 2:30 - 3:00 saturday would be a really good idea. make our presence known and get this thing started on the right foot.

Animal Mother

Monkey
Nov 26, 2003
Northern VA
Originally posted by rideLIKEjehu
ben-

wakefield is basically at the corner of 495 & braddock road, just outside the beltway.
sweet, that's right around the corner from my office... i won't be making it this weekend but i'll be there very soon!

ben

remi

Chimp
Jun 19, 2002
VA, in the snow
they don't have an address or a map on their website ... lame.

Wish I could go guys ... I'll be at UVA, visiting to see whether the girls, I mean, campus look better than in Williamsburg...

But I suggest you all dress up in shirts and ties, and let Mr. Corey do the talking ... if it wasn't for him, I'd probably be in jail for illegal wheelying in the streets of the District of Columbia ...

remi

Chimp
Jun 19, 2002
VA, in the snow
Originally posted by DßR
yes. on both counts.
And if you add georgetown to the list ?

Since you've experienced both ...

I won't hear from GU's Admissions Office until June 1st, but it's my top choice ... so far ..

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Originally posted by remi
And if you add georgetown to the list ?

Since you've experienced both ...

I won't hear from GU's Admissions Office until June 1st, but it's my top choice ... so far ..
women-wise
1- uva
2- WM
3- GU

places-I-would-want-to-go-to-school-wise
1-uva
2-GU - extremely close 2nd
3-WM

remi

Chimp
Jun 19, 2002
VA, in the snow
Originally posted by DßR
women-wise
1- uva
2- WM
3- GU

places-I-would-want-to-go-to-school-wise
1-uva
2-GU - extremely close 2nd
3-WM
thanks for the opinion ...

as a total free-rider (in the econ sense) who's been here for 2 years and plans on going back to Europe with a degree from an American university, I'm leaning towards Georgetown, because of their (very good) reputation overseas ...

And since my :love: is in Belgium , I'm not going to make a decision based on the female ressources ... but it's always nice to see some girl sunbathing in bikinis from your dorm room's window ... :o:

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Well they let me in! I rode two of the bmx sessions after 6. Turns out to be a sweet set up, only downside is that the biggest jump in the park requires dropping in a halfpipe with no roll-in (kinda sketch for me). It was a great time ... until I broke my chain. :angry:

letoyboy

Chimp
Nov 27, 2003
Springfield, VA
They've got a calender PDF file you can download here:
http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/skatepark/skate_calendar.pdf
Looks like kind of a mixed bag of bike/board times. I think everything's still kind of "let's see how it goes" as far as dividing up and offering more times. I personally don't care what size bikes they allow in there, but I don't want to slide out because some guy on his muddy NRS Air decided he wanted to try his hand at dropping in while caking dirt all over the park. Fortunately, I will have the privilige of volunteering as an attendant at the park. I hope free use of a skatepark will be quite beneficial to learning some new stuff. :-)
Oh yeah, and let's all organize a donation center for shifty. Let's get him some chainrings, bolts, random tools, spoke wrenches, any used pedals you might be throwing away, etc. to allow this poor young man to enjoy the benefits of cycling.....without having to ducktape his drivetrain! I'll score you a ring shifty, I'm sure there's one around my shop somewhere......

rideLIKEjehu

Monkey
Jul 11, 2001
495/66/50/29
the park looks really nice. was out there for a few hours on saturday. they told me there was a bike session at 4:15 so i split for a bit, came back at 4 just in time to see the bike session ending!! :mad:

... and alex and i got interviewed by some lady for the wakefield rec center newsletter. hopefully we got in some good pro-bike propaganda! :thumb:

triumphbc

Chimp
Oct 9, 2003
Arlington, VA
I was there around 3:30, but didn't see any mountain bikes running. The place was packed with cops, soccer moms, and 8 year olds with skateboards so I peaced out. The park looked cool though, I'll go back when it's not the grand opening bonanza.

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Originally posted by skarider
i heard you had to pay to get in, how much?
i kant wait to ride it i can ride there in 5 minutes
Dude, it was advertised as being free for saturday for the grand opening. Go to the site and they have rates there.

SpasticJack

Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
I was there last Saturday and was told that it was for 20" wheel bikes only. I don't know if the answer would have been different if I had been standing over a more "urbanified" ride or what but heads up anyway. The rates looked pretty reasonable and you can buy passes for ~$120ish i think.

downy

Monkey
Dec 3, 2003
Annandale, VA
Originally posted by Mattoid
i thought downy got in? I wanna ride there so very badly...
Don't worry, you'll get in with your bike. Keep it clean though. Shoot me a PM when you want to go ride it. If they let me in, they have to let you in with ur set up (and they have to let me in because I have 50 prepaid sessions).