Quantcast

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I was so happy about my extended stay in the country that I finally decided to do a photo study of the local architecture. I must admit, this is one of my favorite skylines.

The view from Marie-Eve's street.

Better view of the 1500 fountain.

Can anyone tell me what the hell this thing is? Rainwater collection maybe?

Downtown is covered with bleen-glassed condo buildings.

Little church in the big city.

Seabus!

Apparently, this was the last bit of a building that burned out.

I can't remember which old bike vid has footage of someone wallriding from the upper level all the way to the ground. Can anyone help me with that?

View from the top side.

More condos on the way....

South Van is just a sea of cool little shops. I normally hate buying clothes, but the shop on the right, Motherland, draws me in every time I pass it. The penguin shirt that I'm wearing in the last photo set is from there.

Who couldn't like a city this bike friendly?

Last edited:

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
Actually it was nwd7 flying high again. Got them confused. INCREDIBLE THREAD. If my wife and kids wouldn't miss me too much, I would be on the road right now as well. Good luck man. Looks like lots of fun.

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
Can anyone tell me what the hell this thing is? Rainwater collection maybe?
the building is supported by the central column - effectively hanging off those straps (the outer walls don't go all the way to the ground. kinda like a mondo treehouse). it was recently converted from office space to condos. we looked at a unit out of curiousity. nicely designed; not cheap tho.

Apparently, this was the last bit of a building that burned out.
coincidentally enough, i drove by there that day when that was happening. no fire, just dust suppression as they were demolishing the elevator shaft. making room for more condos most likely. it's been a plague recently.

hope you've been having a great time in our fair city. if you get time, check out the alibi room on the edge of gastown for great beer, and havana's patio on commercial for mojoto's & people watching.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
I went snowboarding yesterday. Blackcomb has a glacier, and it's snowy all year round.
The camp hooked me up with demo equipment and a lift ticket. All free to me.
The ride up there is an adventure in itself.

The first lift:

The second lift:

Sad Summer Superpipe :(

A little out of place this time of year.

They're installing a tram between the peaks of Whistler and Blackcomb. Apparently it will break all sorts of records for longest unsupported span blah blah, it's f-ing huge.

The black arrow is where the other tower is going to be. This thing is going to be shut down all the time due to the wind.

Bus Ride to the next lift!

Third lift:

View from the top.

Finally, the glacier.

This is a picture of a tiny japanese girl (I'm guessing about 7 years old) doing a front side boardslide. All the punk kids close enough to see what was happening dropped their jaws and watched. I've never seen so many pro athlete dreams dashed at the same time. You could almost hear their hearts breaking. Awesome.

He actually landed this.

I sacrificed the background in this picture to bring out the shape of the jumps. To give an idea of the scale, that red sign is about 4 feet square. The closer feature is a giant hip, but the one behind that can only be a spine. There was no landing for that tombstone launch.

The path back down was a blast. Perfectly groomed snow, completely surrounded by bare rock. Long swoopy switchbacks all the way back to lift #2.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Yeah, I'm getting dizzy just looking at the pics. Wow.

Love the bit about the 7yr old girl.

Goosebumps over the massive launch shots.

Thanks for sharing more sickness to the maxified illest.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
got to hand it to you...just when I thought this thread was finally played out, you upped the ante. Snowboarding in July? F U.

+rep for that.

disasterarea

Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
hi w00dy, we don't ken each other but this is definitely one of the most interesting threads I've seen since I joined RM. Thank you very much for sharing :clapping::cheers: rep given!

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Doncha miss Woody? I hope he doesn't have performance anxiety after knocking our socks off with the snowboard extravaganza.

Please drop in with an update soon Senior Wood. I heard you met our good friends the Donahugh's up there in BC. Did y'all ride together too?

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
Never met up for riding. Sorry about the lack of uploads. My linux computer is not supported by photobucket.

I'm almost out of BC. For real this time. No more renews allowed on my visa.

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I met up with w00dy for some riding in Whistler from August 7th through the 11th. I had never been to Whistler before so it was good to ride with someone who knows the trails. Riding there was awesome, Whistler really has the best of everything from steep tech to high speed jump lines. Thanks again to w00dy for driving me around. Now for some pictures. First up are some of w00dy on an A-line tabletop, the Dirt Merchant creek gap, and the Clown Shoes large drop.

Attachments

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Here are a few pics from the Crankworx Dual Slalom and Garbanzo DH race. From left to right, dual slalom action shot, dual slalom Brian Lopes, the step down thru the 'Easier' sign is kinda funny, probably the only DH race with a long ladder bridge, and someone gapping the bridge on Original Sin.

Attachments

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Justin,

Great shots. Did you catch up with Billy and the twins out there?

that last shot of the guy gapping the ladder looks wet and sketchy! looks slicker than greased owl sh!t for sure!

wOodY figure out your next step/stop yet?

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Justin,

Great shots. Did you catch up with Billy and the twins out there?

that last shot of the guy gapping the ladder looks wet and sketchy! looks slicker than greased owl sh!t for sure!
Yeah, I caught up with them the last day I was there and w00dy and I did some runs with Billy (manhattanprjkt83).

The DH race day was super slick on the upper mountain, everything looked really sketchy and I was amazed how fast the racers were still able to go without crashing.

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
This set deserves a little description.
I was helping out with the camp of champions. There were three campers competing for bags for free schwag (they didn't know the three prizes were nearly identical).

The challenge was to ride around the tent three times and then down a slush. You can see the brain freeze in the last few shots.

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll269/davechuckwood/BC/Slurpee%20Race
/DSCF1621.jpg

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
The next set is pretty self-explanatory. Yeah, I went heli-biking with some new friends from the UK. The skin shot of me is to show off my tire, pedal, and seat marks.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
X-up in the park, brainfreeze, DH race photos, skin shot, heli-ya!-biking...Must spread rep!

w00dy

Jun 18, 2004
The trip is over. I'm back where I started from. If you've read this far you have seen just a fraction of all the sights I was lucky enough to see. The pictures don't do justice to all the great people I met along the way.

Here's a map of my return trip. Google maps had a seizure when I tried to add that many destinations, so I had to rough it in GIMP photo editor.

I dipped down to Snowshoe, WV with JustMTB44, where I had an excellent day of riding and took not one photo on account of the rain.

After a stop at my parent's house in Syracuse I hit up Highland MTB Park in New Hampster with Sandwich and Squadra Course. Whistler was good training and I kicked their asses on the mountain. Then they kicked my ass at chicken wings and beer. It's good to be back east.

The biggest thing this trip gave me was the time to think about what I really want to be doing with my life. For the first time in a few years I have some real direction.
I don't want to say too much about that until it's time. Suffice it to say, it's bike related, and I'll post it on the monkey when I have something to show.