Quantcast

Walking beam/Turner style bikes and weight distribution...

CSkolnick

Chimp
Aug 30, 2004
Bikes like Kona's, Turner, Banshee, Transition etc. all share the same basic walking bean type suspension. I always wondered if this design, with a large linkage and seatstay way out back, lends itself to a less than ideal weight distribution on the frame, particulary very overbuilt frames like the Scream. I love these style of bikes for there side to side rigidity. Other swinarm type bikes, ASX, Bullit, BB7, and Foes (plus countless others), have there shocks/linkages/weight closer to the middle with less sticking out back. Do these bikes tend to feel more "balanced" as far as center of gravity/weigth distribution is concerned?

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
most bike are nose heavy due to the fork and foward controls. When some top pros tested the BB7, one of the complaints was it was nose heavy (compared to the other bikes, all running 888s).

besides the weight differences might not be all that different between a burly swingarm and a linkage system which shares the same load.

tmoney

Chimp
May 31, 2004
Little Rock, Arkansas
From a physic view, it seems that body position and cockpit would have the most effect on if a bike is nose heavy or not. I think the additional weight of a swingarm would be minor compared the the amount of weight that can move from your body. For example, if you have a long stem on your bike, the bike might feel nose heavy because you body weight is positioned more toward the front of the bike. For me, i would rather have my weight positioned more towards the rear of the bike. I find it easier to bring the front end down in the air rather then up. Anyway, my .02.

-tmoney