Quantcast

Walnut creek trails near Charlottesville, VA

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Has anybody ridden at Walnut Creek park in Charlottesville, VA, or do you currently?

I may be racing an Xterra tri there, and I'd like some idea of what to expect trail wise. I'm cool with whatever it is, but if it's all super rocky crazy tight singletrack, I may want to plan differently. If it's a combo of both or mostly smooth trail then I'm golden. I won't be able to get down there to pre-ride so it's a crapshoot.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I ride there regularly. It's a combination of flowy buff singletrack with some moderately technical rocky/rooty sections. Having skills and familiarity will make you faster but lacking them will not be a deal breaker. I'd say the key would be to have your favorite high volume/low pressure tires that can best handle lots of roots and small loose rocks.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
cool, thanks. I've ridden in the NE and new england all my life, rocks and roots are part of the bill. My concern is mostly that I don't know if I can ride rocky MA stuff for 12 miles, but if it it's interspersed with smooth trails or fireroad I might be OK.

Basically I'm a slow putz and I want to be prepared if I'm gonna die...so thanks!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
There aren't any smooth fireroad sections. Walnut feels like you are climbing most of the time as the descents are fast and don't last long. It is a really fun place to ride, at least when you don't have to run or swim. When is the event?