Quantcast

wanna get in shape

prometheus

Chimp
Apr 10, 2008
hello ive been into biking for about a year, but never really considered riding hard. i just sold my car and only have my bike so ive decided to really get into it. im kinda a lazy guy but i can do 4 hour rides. just wondering if there is ne good diets or something that i should do. id appreciate any help i can get.
thanks
amadeo

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
do NOT "diet"! Seriously, most "diets" are not designed for people who exercise. You might think you're not riding hard, but anything remotely aerobic for more than an hour is not something to discount.

Atkins diet + four hour ride = emergency room visit

sorry, just eat healthy.

glad you're enjoying riding so much.

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
do NOT "diet"! Seriously, most "diets" are not designed for people who exercise. You might think you're not riding hard, but anything remotely aerobic for more than an hour is not something to discount.

Atkins diet + four hour ride = emergency room visit

sorry, just eat healthy.

glad you're enjoying riding so much.
Yeah thats a common mis-conception most people correlate a diet to a low carb or low fat. A diet is just the way a person eats.... But you are right commercial "diets" are 100% BAD!

bitingback

Turbo Monkey
yea i didnt mean like atkins i just meant what would be healthy for me to eat.
make sure you get enough calories to balance out the additional energy your expending. but don't skip because if you don't take in enough calories it will prohibit/delay any weight loss you may be trying to achieve.

try and eat more "natural" foods rather than processed.

do some research so you know the good fats from the bad (i.e almonds are great snack foods even though they are full of fat)

over all...remember that any weight loss/fitness regime is about the bigger picture. you will have days where you feel great about what you've accomplished and you will have days that you just HAVE to slack off. it's all good as long as you find the balance that works for you.

just a side note...i keep a simple log on my calendar. i draw one line from corner to corner if i've eaten well that day and another line from the other corners if i've exercised (gym, biking, walking, whatever). over a months period of time...even if you see a day or so without a full X...you will pyschologically feel motivated and positive about your achievement overall. a great way to see it at a glance. IMO the hardest step in any fitness program is mental. overcome that and the physical part is easy.

Sinister17

Chimp
Mar 17, 2008
PNW
Whole grains are good. Don't buy anything with High Fructose Corn Syrup. Lean meat. Indulge in a cheat day/meal on occasion.

If you want to increase your fitness, and burn fat, go to interval training. Nothing better, man.