Quantcast

Wanna give your 2 cents on what to build on the "Freeway Trail"?

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Yah Seattle Parks Dept. along with work from peeps at Urban Sparks, and the BBTC have gotten the green light for the trail. Now it's your turn to go down and let your voice be heard on what you'd like to see on the trail.

Taken from the BBTC website.....

This is the first of a series of design meetings for the Colonnade Mountain Bike Park. The goal of each meeting is to give updates and preset the status of the trail and its design.
There will be a presentation of the current design of the Colonnade Trail which will be followed by a period of open discussion to get our juices flowing.
All input and ideas are welcome.

Where: REI Meeting Rooms
When: Thursday April 29th
What Time: 6:30 – 8:00 pm
What to bring: Ideas, suggestions, paper and pen/pencils.

Seattle Parks Collonade Project Website

BBTC Website Collanade Park Page

Speak now or forever pick your nose............:monkey:

May 9, 2003
Burien at Crappiss' House
Thankyou for this update.

It's awesome that this project is going to be developed! I for one plan to be at that thursday meeting to suggest a 100ft. step down gap into a loop de loop! I'm sure everyone will think it's a safe and doable feature. :D

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
If I am not there make sure to suggest they add hobo catchers at the entrances, and some sort of urine absorbing material under everything.

May 9, 2003
Maybe I can fabricate a sort of "Hobo Chucker" that I can mount to the front of the Bullit, they'll be flying off the front of my bike! Ping! Peow!:p

Who all's thinking of going to this meeting? I already emailed Kevin @ BBTC to let him know I was going and will be volunteering some time to be used as they see fit. I'm getting off work a bit early to make the meeting, but Thursday is my Friday, so to speak, so it worked out.

Let's get behing this guys, BBTC got it started for us, and I think it's an awesome opportunity for the community to help shape what could be a whole new kind of park for us all!

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
I can possibly make this one. Ususally these types of meetings are to far away to make....Woodinville to REI SEattle in 1hr. Peice of cake. :)

Anyone else going for sure?

Rhino

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by Ice Bullit
So what kind of riding is this going to be seriously? Is it going to just be trail or can we throw some jumps in there as well?
go and find out. From what i've heard in the grapevine the person who initially pursued Seattle Parks to make space for a "technical mt. bike course". BBTC came in after the fact, followed thru with the project, and is realizing their vision of what the trail will be. A tapeworm style trail. That's why it's a good idea if you a member of BBTC or someone who rides trails of dirt in the Seattle area to go down and be a part of it.

You can be a part of a process to learn about the project, what people have come up with so far, and share your own ideas of what you'd like to see in the trail.

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
I think there should be a drive through clam-bar with like Dick's Danger Ale on tap.. and maybe they could call it the Hobo INN.... of course we wouldn't let them in side. Then again maybe they could work there or maybe.....

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Another thing that's been kicked around is a dual course or some version thereof to practice on. Jumps? Probably nothing too big.
It's probably going to all be about being able to keep the tech skills going through the winter months. Wormy stuff that can't be easily "dumbed down".
But, having a dual course as well would be pretty cool in that getting some sort of racing group going akin to City League up at the pass in the winter. Keep the skills good for when racing season starts again.
Don't know unless ya go...

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Just so I dont' screw things up....the meeting is at the REI in DT seattle just off the freeway?

Lord knows I will assume stuff and there will be no such meeting. :)

edinSvenson2

Chimp
Feb 10, 2004
I always wondered why nobody was building anything cool under that viaduct looking thing. When I lived on Capital Hill I'd look down at the freeway out my window, almost daily, and go "Hrm... dirt jumps..."

Anyways, build what you want - some dickass is invariably going to come and screw it up. It's just a sketchy location.

erin

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Originally posted by Tenchiro
I will probably go and check it out. It is at REI's main store that is right off of I5, right?
Just called Justin Vander Pol to verify the meeting info.

REI DT store. Off of Stewart exit? It is on the 2nd floor near the restaurant.

I guess the guy heading up the meeting is Art Tuffy (sp?)

I should be there for most of it....it is also my mothers Bday today..so I can't stay past 7:30ish

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Yeah, Rhino's got it right.

Colonnade Bike Park Website
A little background about the project. The City is building 7.5 acre park, and just over 1.8 acres of it will be a bike park featuring technical mountain bike trails. The overall design for the park has been approved, so this WILL happen. We now need a detailed design for the bike park, and we are beginning to raise money to pay for it.

This meeting is being run by BBTC, who is the group who pushed this effort over the last couple years, and has taken responsibility for designing, funding, and maintaining the bike park. There won't be disucussion about whether we get to build it or not, that parts done! Its now time for ideas.

Here's the meeting description from our calendar:

This is the first of a series of design meetings for the Colonnade Mountain Bike Park. The goal of each meeting is to give updates and preset the status of the trail and its design.
There will be a presentation of the current design of the Colonnade Trail which will be followed by a period of open discussion to get our juices flowing.
All input and ideas are welcome.

Where: Seattle REI Meeting Rooms
When: Thursday April 29th
What Time: 6:30 – 8:00 pm
What to bring: Ideas, suggestions, paper and pen/pencils.

Our goal as a club is to have monthly/ semimonthly Colonnade trail design meetings to make sure we have plenty of input for this very amazing project.

Justin Vander Pol
BBTC Executive Director

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by MMike
Flaming hoop!! Flaming hoop!!!
I pushed really hard for it, but i'm afraid it probably has fallen on deaf ears. i suggest you attend a meeting and push for it yourself. i believe the only thing you'll lose is your skeptisism.

This project is going to be something special for all riders of dirt. It's purpose is to be a "technical mt. bike trail" and it really appears as if the people behind it are eager for it to be just that.

For instance i asked a question on what scale are we to expect for the rocks on the trail that are created, yes created,
click this link to understand what i'm talking about
I was shown a 20 foot by 20 foot section of chairs and was told "is that big enough?"
Now can you imagine some of the rocks at Gailbraith being replicated, you Bellingham riders know of the ones of which i speak, and also people who have been to Rat Pac, can you imagine the rock chute across the parking lot being in Seattle?

yes it's going to be a tapeworm style trail, but it's NOT going to be "the tapeworm"...........

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by Certified Drunk
Big booters, gap jumps and huge drops. :D and a few wall rides would be kool.
There was talk of drops and a wall ride, and table tops. Plus logs, telephone poles, chunks of concrete, a place made for building bike handling skills, so it's up to the imagination of people who get involved.....

If you want a flaming hoop to jump thru Mmike, i can fabricate one for you i'm sure. You'd be amazed at what you can do with hollow pipe and propane. i for one would love to see a wannabe flamer like you shoot thru a hoop of flames.;)

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
Originally posted by Skookum
There was talk of drops and a wall ride, and table tops. Plus logs, telephone poles, chunks of concrete, a place made for building bike handling skills, so it's up to the imagination of people who get involved.....

If you want a flaming hoop to jump thru Mmike, i can fabricate one for you i'm sure. You'd be amazed at what you can do with hollow pipe and propane. i for one would love to see a wannabe flamer like you shoot thru a hoop of flames.;)
So, Skookum......is there a set committee in charge how the trail will be built and who will do the building?

Just wondering if Kevin's hacking skills would be useful or if the type of trail had already been est.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by Snacks
So, Skookum......is there a set committee in charge how the trail will be built and who will do the building?

Just wondering if Kevin's hacking skills would be useful or if the type of trail had already been est.
You guys should go to a meeting and listen in, meet the people involved and see if it would be something he's be interested in. I really think his curiosity would be peaked.

This project is totally pro-mountain bike every way you look at it. Plus like a guy who was at the meeting stated, how cool is it going to be to have a challenging technical course to play on when it's pouring down rain......

May 9, 2003
It was an interesting and encouraging meeting, it seems that the trail features will largely be determined by who is willing to be there to design and build them, and that the park will be embracing both novice and advanced riders , so as long as we want it, and it's built safely and sanely, there will be opportunity for tricky features. Happy and his pal Joel were on hand with detailed notes from the construction plans from the 'Dump' up in B.C., a skill park built on donated land which was proposed and designed/built by SORBA up there, neat stuff. I think as long as they continue their involvement, the trialsy types among us will also find ways to express themselves at this park too!

Monkeys planning on attending the next meeting should plan to come armed with sketches and drawings or descriptions of trail features they would like designed, and be willing to be part of the implementation of that design. Work should be beginning soon.

BTW, a local bar owner I know up here in Capitol hill generously offered the use of his establishment for the purpose of a fundraising party for the park. He also happens to be a skateboarder who owns his own skateboard company. I was really blown away by his enthusiasm for the project, it was so neat to feel the brotherhood coming from such a different place than I am used to getting it, just killer. I'll be having a talk with him again this week, and will certainly try to pursue this avenue with him, as well as some other sponsors. I'll keep you guys posted on that front.

May 9, 2003
Just talked to my boss yesterday, and he's into helping do a fundraiser for the Collonade project. I hope to have it together by late June, and it will be held in Seattle on Capitol Hill at The Kingcora Pub. I have something really exciting planned in the way of a raffle prize, but I'll keep it quiet until I'm sure we can arrange it. I'm excited, I think this will be a fun way to raise awareness for the park.

juice

Monkey
Nov 11, 2003
Seattle
Hey Cap'n Crunch,

Awesome news!!! Give me a call about the fundraising party. I've been spending a lot of time writing grants for this project and raising money. BBTC is the fiscal sponsor of this project, and also a 501(c)(3) so the bar owner can take tax deductions for anything he provides this project, including donating space for fundraisers.

Justin Vander Pol
justin@bbtc.org
206-524-2900 office
206-390-2237 cell