Quantcast

Want. (motorcyle)

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I was expecting this:

Put the beefier tires on it and ROCK ON!

<edit> I stole that from Toshi's alternative transportation thread.

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
I'd hit both those Beemers... didn't know they made a diesel version though. Available, or prototype?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I was expecting this:

Put the beefier tires on it and ROCK ON!

<edit> I stole that from Toshi's alternative transportation thread.
Pretty cool indeed. Id actually take less beefy tires in general, as Id use it for commuting, and big road trips with some sweet dirt road action to prime fishing and camping spots. No doubt I could haul all I need on one of those things.
I wouldnt need the super beefy tires because honestly, Id be too afraid to take a bike of that caliber on a "trail" even though Ive raced XC/Enduro before.
As for the diesel, well that'd be nice, but intimidating at the same time. I know nothing of diesel engines.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
A lot of these bikes in question look uncomfortable for a passenger for any length of time. Is Kizzi gonna ride too?

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Pretty cool indeed. Id actually take less beefy tires in general, as Id use it for commuting, and big road trips with some sweet dirt road action to prime fishing and camping spots. No doubt I could haul all I need on one of those things.
I wouldnt need the super beefy tires because honestly, Id be too afraid to take a bike of that caliber on a "trail" even though Ive raced XC/Enduro before.
As for the diesel, well that'd be nice, but intimidating at the same time. I know nothing of diesel engines.
I would just want something with a little more bite than those on there (like the BMW has). As for the diesel, that's my main attraction. A veggie bike would be awesome.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
A lot of these bikes in question look uncomfortable for a passenger for any length of time. Is Kizzi gonna ride too?
The Super Duke is very comfy for a passenger as opposed to a split seat like most sport bikes have. The passenger is too high on those, so I've heard from passengers.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is my next project (sort of).

Only mine will keep the factory fuel injection and smog system plus be converted to support e85.

I am also going to run a Fox DHX Air under the seat because I'm a pussy.

Mine will have a front brake too.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Those are nice. The 1st year they came out (98, 99 or 2000 maybe) a buddy lent me his and I raced a hare scramble on it. Heavy for a "dirtbike" but a real pleasure to ride, and Im sure would be a great all rounder.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Looks nice, but certainly not my style. I like stock things usually.
I just tend to go fast, that's all. My motorcycles are like my bicycles, you tend to have many to cover your bases. My FZ1 is an awesome sportbike, but I want something to cruise on. With a sportbike heart (Buell XB9R), my chopper will still get up and move as well.

I want one of these for the dirt:

Beta 525rr (KTM drivetrain)

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
Great thread Burly!

Douglas, I had a GS500e that I bought brand new when I was 18! Great bike! Not a lot of personality to it, but great for a commuter!

Those BMW's are nice but the bigger motor versions for some reason have a strange vibration to them... well let me clarify that and say that 2 local guys I used to ride with had the R 1200 GS models and both had issues!

a few of my dream bikes...

Vincent Black Lightning

random Triumph Bobber

Guzzi 850 Lemans

Morini 3 & a 1/2

Harley XR 750

just to name a few!

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
this is the version I have... (not mine but close) Rode the hell out of it on the backroads of West Virgina. Perfect torque for those windy, hilly back roads produced with a 4 valve per cyl. motor. :thumb:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
I'm buying one of these later this month. If I get aero I should be able to hit 40! :) It will be my new commuter

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Good bike. I love mine. Word of advice, run it pinned, don't lug it. The CRF's hate to be lugged.
That's what steered me away from the CRF. I like to ride more technical (roots, rocks, and crap) and my Husaberg was awesome in 2nd just lugging around.

I heard the same issues with the YZF, but the KTM thumpers don't seem to mind running lugged or pinned.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
That's what steered me away from the CRF. I like to ride more technical (roots, rocks, and crap) and my Husaberg was awesome in 2nd just lugging around.

I heard the same issues with the YZF, but the KTM thumpers don't seem to mind running lugged or pinned.
I ride technical tight singletrack 80% of the time on my 250x and it handles it great, you just have to ride them differently than the old XR's. More clutch work in lower gears.

More the issue is a lot of people get out on semi-open trails and want to run stuff in 4th that they should be running in 3rd. Or 5th that they should be using 4th for. On a tamer 4 stroke, this is okay because they are like tractors. On a CRF, you don't do that. You don't want to shift early, and you don't want to be running a bigger gear than the terrain requires like you could with a lot of older 4 strokes.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I want one of these...

That what I rode for my motorcycle safety course, that thing was awesome!

A friend of mine got into restoring older Yamaha Big Wheels. He buys them off CL and rebuilds them. They are slow, but so damn fun to ride.