Quantcast

Want to build an urban/beater bike

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hey all, I'm looking at building a bike for riding to school and work, and also to do urban stuff. My XC bike I have right now isn't too practical for riding around town with, and I want a bike I can fool aroun on. I've been thinking of either a cromo or beefy aluminum frame. I would like to keep the cost of the complete bike around 700 bucks, and I'm also planning on going SS with this one to keep the cost down.

-Frame: I have no idea

-Fork: I've been thinking about either a RS Psylo XC or a Marzo DJ III. I'm leaning more towards the Psylo though because it is lighter weight and won't be as hard to push through town, although I've heard bad things about maintenance issues. I'm not too scared of it not being stiff enough, I weigh 160 lbs. Looking at something in the 200-300 dollar range.

-Wheelset: Rhyno Lites laced to Deore Disc hubs...hey...they're strong and cheep

-Tires: Maxxis Hookworms, although I might opt for a more hardpack semislick because I may be doing occasional dirt jumping. Any suggestions?

-Cranks: Truvativ Hussefelt, or if someone can find me something better and cheaper...

-Brakes: Pricepoint has cheapass no name disc brakes on sale for 39 bucks each, however, it seems a risky prospect. I'm not a fan of disc brakes, but it appears thats the only way you can go nowadays.

-Bars/Stem/Post/Saddle: Suggestions?

Anyways, if you would mind giving me suggestions on what kind of stuff to get and where to get it, it would be nice, I'm not too experienced with the DJ/FR/Urban scene so I don't exactly know what to get :)

freerider215

Chimp
Jul 27, 2003
well dv8 has a Revell 450 (cromo HT) for $300. it's a great frame and a good price. Um, cranks. well the truvativs are good and cheap. Fsa also makes some pretty good affordable cranks in the v-drive extremes. why can't you use v's? they are pretty good for street and djing since you don't need all that stopping power. the rhyno lites are ok, but beware of the pre-fab wheelsets, sometimes the spoke tension sucks and the wheels just bend up.
as far as a stem any DH type stem will work, this is a good place to save money, instead of buying a $50-$70 stem, buy a generic one like Powertools etc. for like $20, just pick the right length for you. bars, again go with a generic brand like Powertools etc. they'll save you some coin. i would usually say get at least a 1.5" rise, but i know people who ride with 1" rise and like it. i would think if you are just starting to ride urban and what not that your wheels are going to take some abuse, it might be worth it to spend a bit more on a strong wheelset instead of going to buy a new set every few months. i know that the mtbstore.com offers build kits that might work for you. oh, and about the fork. i'm actually riding a psylo xc on my rhythm. i have the tullio version and have no complaints on stiffness. i need a stiffer spring rate though. it's not bad, not great, but it works and yes it's light and the travel adjustment is nice to have too. hope this helps. it's really early so if none of this makes sense it's because i'm still sorta sleeping.

skinny

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
Victoria, BC, Canada
I know I'll probably be flogged for this, but if youw ant to keep cost down there's good ways to do it using a SS drivetrain:

1) Rip apart an old cassette you have lying around and use the cog and spacers from that. You'll need more spacers than the ones that are on there, but those are cheap. However, ONLY do this if you:

2) Buy a 1/8" BMX chain. A really nice BMX chain (KMC 410H) costs half of what a SRAM PC48 does. The reason I say that using a BMX chain is the only way to use the "rip-and-recycle" method I mentioned above (and the omission of this information is what got me flogged last time) is that MTB chains are meant to help shifting and therefore will jump off the cog or chainring MUCH easier than a BMX chain which is meant to stay on the same cog and ring all the time.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
The problem with running V's is that not very many frames are V brake compatible anymore, and most DJ forks don't have V-Brake bosses either.

I'll check out that build kit. I've also got an old XT 8 speed rear cassette I could tear apart for my SS purposes.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Get the Revell. Revells rule so much. DV8 is a good guy, you can trust him. It's a great price for that frame too.

(just built a Revell 250R - Still grinning)

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
look, i am not trying to start a steel/aluminum war, but unless you are going to drop a big coin on a frame stay with steel....

affordable aluminum "all mountain" catalog frames really ride like uncooked pasta.

get a .243 or a gimp or one of the many affordable steel frames out there.

Revell is a great frame...
cranks, i don't know.. i ride FSA.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
Originally posted by BoyBoy
look, i am not trying to start a steel/aluminum war, but unless you are going to drop a big coin on a frame stay with steel....

affordable aluminum "all mountain" catalog frames really ride like uncooked pasta.

get a .243 or a gimp or one of the many affordable steel frames out there.

Revell is a great frame...
cranks, i don't know.. i ride FSA.
I'm curious why everyone says the .243 racing frame is the best for everything, the damn thing weighs a ton.

For a beater bike you're not really lookin for great frame characteristics, just something that you can beat on hence the beater bike. An aluminum frame will work just as well as a steel frame. I'd look into the kona and norco frames.

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
because it really is great for everything. the seat tube is steep enough to make a stable, quick bike in the saddle... the head tube is dead on the sweet spot for almost everything. it can handle any fork with ease, and the perfect geometry settles in nicely... beyond that, they are pretty affordable, and have been shown to handle abuse from the worst. they have horizontal dropouts which have built in tensioners that work with your deraileur, and have v-brake mounts which adjust for 24" and 26". Last, you can get it in any color you want.... "as long as it's black"

if you care about an extra pound or so for sturdy 35 lb hardtail, i think you are sick.

RITFreeRider

Monkey
Sep 10, 2003
In a Boulderado state of mind
Originally posted by BoyBoy
because it really is great for everything. the seat tube is steep enough to make a stable, quick bike in the saddle... the head tube is dead on the sweet spot for almost everything. it can handle any fork with ease, and the perfect geometry settles in nicely... beyond that, they are pretty affordable, and have been shown to handle abuse from the worst. they have horizontal dropouts which have built in tensioners that work with your deraileur, and have v-brake mounts which adjust for 24" and 26". Last, you can get it in any color you want.... "as long as it's black"

if you care about an extra pound or so for sturdy 35 lb hardtail, i think you are sick.
Unrealcycles weighs that frame in at 8 lbs. An 8 lb I must say isn't perfect for everything. Maybe for the eastcoast dh hardtail it works great, but for a street bike or a park bike that you want to be light and nimble that frame def isn't goin to be on the top of my list. Frames like the Kona Cowan, the norco 125, azonic ds-1, specialized p-series, fill that roll much better. I'm not baggin on the .243 at all it's a great frame, it just isn't the answer to every question of what hardtail frame to get. For a dh hardtail it's great, but it's too heavy and overbuilt for street tech stuff and park.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
planet X has a bunch of frames that are suited for what ur lookin at...u may also want to look into the on-one gimp which is just what ur describing.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
8 lbs for a frame? that is a little on the heavy side ;) The reason I want/have to run disc brakes is because most DJ frames and forks are now coming in disc-only models, however, the Azonic DS-1 has V-brake mounts, but the Psylo doesn't.

Wow...my schwinn homegrown only weighs 2.9 pounds...hehe...

I really don't care about "how it rides", I've ridden both steel and aluminum bikes, and I'd much rather sacrifice that comfort for that extra 2-3 pounds.

On a side note, has anyone had experience with Fetish Cycles? I've seen their frames floating around eBay, weigh in at about 5 lbs, and I think they're configured to take a 5 inch fork...

BoyBoy

Monkey
Apr 17, 2003
washington DC
the frame is not eight pounds. Ben must be crazy... it's closer to 7.

and... i am not talking about comfort....a 7.5 lb steel frame is not going to be very forgiving.

all i am saying is that in my experience, lighter weight catalog frames made from aluminum ride like ****. they are flexy in the BB shell area, and really don't feel very confident.

anyway, if you don;t like the .243 because of weight, then fine. it's a valid reason. However, ride quality is also a valid reason to consider. on that note, i suggest you look to burly aluminum, or at another steel bike, like the GImp.

anyway heres the .243 product page, just for kicks: http://www.243racing.com/products.html

monkeyboy424

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
Place
wheel world has 02 Kona scabs for 170 bucks. ive ridden my 01 scab to death and its still good. i also weigh 20 more pounds then you. i would consider it....

B

bigjumper820

Well...I think that any fork in the Marzocchi Dirt Jumping series would do you quite well...all I know is that I love mine!

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
if i was you...and it was just an urban bike not really for wet weather/trails get the kona scab and a psylo. who cares if the psylo has no v mounts? u dont need front brakes for urban anyways. i think they get in the way but thats jus IMO. also, i ride the scab from wheelworld and it is def. a great urban bike, a lil on the heavy side but its cromo an it feels lighter than it is. great geometry with a 5 inch fork.