Quantcast

Want to dirt jump

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I have a Specialized Rockhopper M4. I am wanting to get into mild dirt jumping and more technical MTB riding. I was thinking of upgrading Kenda Excavator tires for the muddy conditions, Ritchie grips or maybe OURY grips? Opinions? (I'm a girl so the pink appeals to me.) And upgrading to a marcozzi air fork, not the dirt jumper.

Is it worth the upgrade or will the frame not hold mild dirt jumping? I wont do anything over 5 feet and I weigh under 100 lbs fully geared up lol. I know the components wont last as I just had to straighten the disk brake, but I'll upgrade as needed.

I was going to order parts tomorrow, so should I or is my frame useless for mild dirt jumping? Since I'm going to order parts tomorrow (discount), I need some input ASAP. Thanks!!

Is there a recommendation of another forum as I want to build a decent DJ bike asap.

Last edited:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I also have a haro 24" BMX to jump. But I dont think you can put a suspension fork on that? I want to use that one for dry conditions and packed surfaces.

foreveralout

Chimp
Nov 3, 2008
ruff raleigh
id stick with jumping the haro. its not that your mtb wouldnt hold up, you just might find it hard to jump with your size. you might even want to look into a 20" after you try out the 24". and yes you should get pink grips.

yellowjeep

Chimp
Jan 18, 2009
I think that being as small as you are the frame shouldn't be a problem durability wise. But the geo might not be the best but for what you describe I think it would be fine plus if you are upgrade parts then they can all be swapped over to a new frame down the road. What fork are you thinking? Those tires look alright for what you are talking about but I have no experience with them so I really cant comment. ODI makes some pink lock ons but they are pricey (to me) and that is really up to you I run a set of Ourys on one bike and I really like them but they seem to slip a lot (didnt use any adhesive or anything just friction) so If you go that root I would make sure you use some sort of adhesive spray.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
The fork I'm thinking of getting is the 09 Marzocchi 44 TST2 120mm travel. I would do more technical stuff with the MTB/trails, cause the 24" wont handle mud at all. But we have trails here with lots of roots and logs to jump over. The rock shox dart 3 is useless for me, doesnt do much. When its dry, I want to take my haro out. Still looking for better place to jump. Just the haro isnt good on trails with lots of twigs. I just like jumping things, thats all lol.

I am being trained as a bike mechanic, we use hair spray, thats OK? I was going to get Ritchey TrueGrip 6 dual-ply grips.

I also unicycle, but I dont think I can dirt jump with that so want my bikes to be OK for that. I'm a girl so not going to do major stuff. But about geometry, mine is a 13 inch rockhopper so the tube is short and way slopped down. My top tube is 21".

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
OK, so should I pretty much keep the MTB to tech/rocky/rooty singletrack and mild jumping over logs, etc. and the BMX for DJ? I think I need to upgrade the fork as thats worthless even on the trails. I am not sure if its worth it to fix up or not. I know the disk brakes will break soon as I bent them already and still not right. I kinda want a bigger 26" bike that can handle the trails as the BMX wont be able to handle some areas cause of the big twigs.

Last edited:

juanbeegas

Monkey
May 6, 2008
Singapore
I think you'll do fine with the M4 for the time being and maybe you'll want to look into the Marz 4X instead, or a Fox 32 Float, or the new Argyle 409(they're pink for '09, I think)? Those forks will last you longer in the long run when you decide to swap for a proper jump frame.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin

Any shop that has a relationship with BTI distribution can order you one of these.... (Comes with rigid fork, but you can swap to any 80mm or 100mm travel suspension fork).

http://www.bti-usa.com/public/category/BK/BKMN/CL/CL5253?page=3#CL5253

Commencal Max Max (09) complete bike, short - fuchsia

brakes: Commencal linear
chain: KMC
crankset: Truvativ Ruktion
f derail: n/a
r derail: n/a
seattube (size): 13.6" (short)
pedals: platform
color: shiny fuchsia
brake levers: Commencal
cassette: n/a
shifters: n/a

A tough, versatile aluminum Dirt Jumper at a nice price (new 09 color)
Horizontal dropouts, one speed drive train
Fork: Commencal HiTen steel
Steering: Tange Fatty MX2 headset, Commencal 31.8mm 2" rise 6061 bar, Commencal FR 60mm stem, Commencal grips
Seating: C-Trail by Velo saddle, Commencal HiTen steel seatpost, Commencal seat clamp
Wheels: Alex DM-18 rims, Commencal disc-ready hubs, stainless spokes, Kenda K-Rad 26x2.3" tires
Weight: 13.7kgs/30.4lbs (long has 0.7" longer top tube than short)

Last edited:

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
That bike is sweet! But I dont think my shop can get it for me. I get a huge discount through my shop and dont have big bucks. I could get a Gary Fisher Mullet or Scott Voltage for a good price. The MTB now is even crap on the trails here going over even the roots and rocks much less a decent jump.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
OK, will see if I can afford this. If not, might just get grips/tires and make do til I can afford something nicer. Thanks!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
hmmm. there are 8 bikes in the Scott "Voltage" line.... from the YZ-0 at the top for $2599 down to the YZ-2 for $540.

the text on the top right of the page http://scottusa.com/us_en/product/1658/11914/voltage_yz_2
is wrong. it says the whole Voltage line has ultra short chainstay...but only the top few versions do. the bottom versions have 16.5".

combined with the blah Suntour fork, i would avoid the Scott Voltage low end bikes.

want_to_jump

Chimp
Apr 5, 2009
I spoke to the bike mechanic that specializes in BMX, DJ, freeride, XC stuff. He knows I order stuff through my shop so know hes not going to sell me crap. For me I am actually too small really for the 26" DJ bikes. My top tube is 20" and thats fine for me. 21" length would be too big. For dry packed areas, I have my BMX, but the trails here are seriously rocky, rooty and twiggy on some, so a 24" wont do. The DJ bikes would be heavier so harder for me to lift since I'm tiny. So for the trails I really want to be able to jump OVER and off things so he said to focus on being a weight wienie for the MTB. So getting the WTB MotoRaptor 2.14, a manitou 100mm travel fork since I found out thats all my bike will take. Seems like its ideal for lighter riders. Can afford a carbon riser handlebar since he said I can do this at my weight, and so far cant find soft pink oury grips. Everything is a go! So my MTB will be more serious trails and BMX is for dirt jump.